Strange noise coming from rear drive side wheel

Willyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT roush phase 2
Hello, I have a 2015 mustang GT roush phase 2 that has Wilwood front and rear brakes, white line sway bars and adjustable end links, as well as bc racing coilovers. I recently noticed a very metallic noise coming from the rear drivers side wheel that coincides with the wheel spinning. It only starts after about 3-4 minutes of driving which is making me move away from thinking it’s a wheel bearing and more that it is a stuck caliper. What do y'all think?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have you pulled the wheel yet?

Pull the wheel and rotate the rotor, is it stuck or does it move freely throughout the spin without binding as you’re turning it? If there’s binding it’s possible the caliper is frozen or failing.

Are there any score marks on the front or back side of the rotor? If so then either pads are bad, you picked up debris that got between the pad and rotor, or it’s below the wear indicator and the indicator is scraping the rotor.

Now remove the brake caliper and do the same, do you hear/feel any grinding as you’re manually turning the hub? If you feel any grinding the hub is bad.

OP
OP

Willyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)

Pull the wheel and rotate the rotor, is it stuck or does it move freely throughout the spin without binding as you’re turning it? If there’s binding it’s possible the caliper is frozen or failing.

Are there any score marks on the front or back side of the rotor? If so then either pads are bad, you picked up debris that got between the pad and rotor, or it’s below the wear indicator and the indicator is scraping the rotor.

Now remove the brake caliper and do the same, do you hear/feel any grinding as you’re manually turning the hub? If you feel any grinding the hub is bad.
I will get this checked out tomorrow at 1pm! I sadly don’t have anything to take the wheels off with me as I just moved so have someone coming to check what you said out! Hoping it’s not something too bad. I also did not see any score marks front or back but will have more details tomorrow!

OP
OP

Willyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)

Hey thanks man! Ended up having someone look at it and the E brake pads for the wilwood brakes were down to their last mm so getting those replaces as clearly someone had a little drifting fun haha thanks again!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey thanks man! Ended up having someone look at it and the E brake pads for the wilwood brakes were down to their last mm so getting those replaces as clearly someone had a little drifting fun haha thanks again!
No problem. Glad to hear it was a simple fix!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Willyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
Hey just wanted to reach back out and turns out it was an even quicker fix. The E brake cable was snapped in half so whenever the last person snapped it kept the e brake pads compressed onto the brake rotor so they just replaced it and now it works perfect

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey just wanted to reach back out and turns out it was an even quicker fix. The E brake cable was snapped in half so whenever the last person snapped it kept the e brake pads compressed onto the brake rotor so they just replaced it and now it works perfect
That’s good to hear; thanks for posting the update as it may help others in the future if they have the same or similar issue.
Sponsored