daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I was always under the assumption that the fabled % loss was not a great starting point for FI. It would make more sense for the loss to be xx-xxx RHWP rather than a %.
Sponsored

DrDane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT A6 400A 3.55
I was always under the assumption that the fabled % loss was not a great starting point for FI. It would make more sense for the loss to be xx-xxx RHWP rather than a %.
I think the errantly low perception is because of factory underrating. There is still some variability in performance and people are pissed when it underperforms. So they know that 99.999% of the coyotes they make will make 435 SAE net HP. Many may make more like 450, so people dyno their car and get 390rwhp and think wow there is only 10% loss not 15%.

I searched around to see if anyone has done any tests, I couldn't find any, best i found was a reference to Livernois testing an EB auto and it was around 18%. Which jives with the commonly held 15-20% mantra.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67071&highlight=drivetrain+loss

OP
OP
Doctor Fishtail

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think the errantly low perception is because of factory underrating. There is still some variability in performance and people are pissed when it underperforms. So they know that 99.999% of the coyotes they make will make 435 SAE net HP. Many may make more like 450, so people dyno their car and get 390rwhp and think wow there is only 10% loss not 15%.

I searched around to see if anyone has done any tests, I couldn't find any, best i found was a reference to Livernois testing an EB auto and it was around 18%. Which jives with the commonly held 15-20% mantra.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67071&highlight=drivetrain+loss
Good point sounds about right.
Sponsored