Steering unit wiring harness and old oil

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I completed the first oil change on this car yesterday in about an hour and a half or so. I took my time on everything so I didn't mess anything up of course. Generally it went really well with one minor exception.

Usually I loosen the filter and let the oil drain out around it into a pan before I remove it from the vehicle completely. That went ok, but after letting it drain sufficiently enough when I removed the filter oil got all over the steering unit wiring harness and the fiber tape that covers it directly under where the filter is installed. I can tell that this happened before the oil was changed via the dealership, and then I did it again yesterday. So I spent a bunch of time sticking my hands in there and mopping up that oil and cleaning the harness the best I could afterwards.

Now the tape is coming loose, so I'll have to re-wrap the harness there.

Anyone know of a handy way of avoiding this in the future? I don't want to dump old hot oil on this harness every single time I change the oil.
Sponsored

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
you can get 1 of those form a funnel flexible draining tools and put it around the filter, or wrap a bag on the filter before taking it off, sometimes this will do the trick.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
you can get 1 of those form a funnel flexible draining tools and put it around the filter, or wrap a bag on the filter before taking it off, sometimes this will do the trick.
Not a bad idea. Make some kind of shield that hooks around either side of where the filter mounts and lets the oil run down past the flap door.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Don’t know if you did it or not, but if you have a can of carb cleaner, you can spray down the oiled area and then dry the area with old rag, or use an air compressor. The carb cleaner will remove all of the oil from the affected surfaces. I’ve used this clean up method with my 94 Cobra for over 12yrs now, never an issue.
Sponsored