Sponsored

Steeda Stop The Hop Kit IRS Transformation!

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Finally got some time to install this!

This review is interesting because this is my second time around getting this setup, from when I had it on my 2016 GT and now on my 2018 GT. I had about a year lapse in between the two cars with a different vehicle, so a lot of the experience on how it drove was slowly going away, until now.

Before adding these parts on, I had already installed the Steeda Pro Action Shocks, Billet Rear Shock Mounts, Progressive Springs, Front LCA and Bump Steer Kit.

One thing that annoyed me with the mustang when you pushed the car, it was the dreaded wheel hop and the skittish feeling the rear gives when under pressure. Making you question your ability to drive and also the cars abilities.

Now imagine this…

You’re sitting at the light and no one is around. It’s just you and the car… You slap it in first, light flashes green, you drop the clutch and… dun dun dun dun dun, car tries to go sideways a little on you, but you got this and correct it. Finally you're at the end of first gear, and you slap it in second, another dun dun dun wheel hop and a little sideways again, RPMs are at 6,000, and finally the rear decides to hold it down and you go to third gear and you're all good. Lucky for you, no one was around.

This whole scenario for me changed after installing the Steeda stop the hop kit.

It comes with the IRS subframe braces, IRS subframe bushing and alignment kit. I also installed the differential bushings with it as well. Install was not bad at all, very straight forward.

Now to the after effect of installing these parts. After the parts installed and settled in, I finally went out for a nice drive and pushed the car a bit, and to my surprise it wasn’t just take off improvements.

Same scenario, but different outcome. Light hits green, but this time, you get a little chirp and you feel it hook hard and the front of the car lifts up. Car pushes you off so hard and fast, you almost forget to shift, and the car hits redline, you shift it into second gear, tires chirp but the car is still shooting straight, RPMs are climbing even faster, you shift it into third, and right before it hits redline you let go of the gas… and your buddy in the passenger seat whispers “holy shit…” as if he saw a ghost, then with excitement says “man you can feel that hard in the stomach!” as he is getting giddy with excitement.

The stop the hop kit, does more than just stopping the hop, it actually keeps the car stabilized on hard launches, fast turns, or just going fast straight. You can really feel the difference especially when the tires want to let loose, it makes the car much more predictable and controllable. The rear always felt loose for me, because if you look at the bushings that the S550 comes with, rather it be the differential bushings or the subframe support bushings, they are very timid and soft. The whole reason why the rear does not give confidence. They are too soft for a car of this caliber. Steeda’s stop the hop kit really enhances the IRS subframe, and transforms the rear end of the car. You not only feel it hold the line straight when taking off hard, but makes taking fast turns better and allows you to go even faster. Another thing I noticed was cruising on the highway doing 70-80mph, going over bumps and different pavements, the car liked to stay straight. The rear stays put and follows the direction of the front wheels.

It also complimented the parts I had already on the car. Also for anyone having issues with wheel hop, or want to have better performance all around of the rear, I HIGHLY recommend this setup! I promise you won’t be disappointed. One tip of advice when installing them, is to loosen the rear front IRS bolts and bracket to help align the IRS Brace for easier install.

Thanks again Steeda for another great product!!
Y++vTN%RREWHxw1UtwR5hw_thumb_567b.jpg
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Finally got some time to install this!

This review is interesting because this is my second time around getting this setup, from when I had it on my 2016 GT and now on my 2018 GT. I had about a year lapse in between the two cars with a different vehicle, so a lot of the experience on how it drove was slowly going away, until now.

Before adding these parts on, I had already installed the Steeda Pro Action Shocks, Billet Rear Shock Mounts, Progressive Springs, Front LCA and Bump Steer Kit.

One thing that annoyed me with the mustang when you pushed the car, it was the dreaded wheel hop and the skittish feeling the rear gives when under pressure. Making you question your ability to drive and also the cars abilities.

Now imagine this…

You’re sitting at the light and no one is around. It’s just you and the car… You slap it in first, light flashes green, you drop the clutch and… dun dun dun dun dun, car tries to go sideways a little on you, but you got this and correct it. Finally you're at the end of first gear, and you slap it in second, another dun dun dun wheel hop and a little sideways again, RPMs are at 6,000, and finally the rear decides to hold it down and you go to third gear and you're all good. Lucky for you, no one was around.

This whole scenario for me changed after installing the Steeda stop the hop kit.

It comes with the IRS subframe braces, IRS subframe bushing and alignment kit. I also installed the differential bushings with it as well. Install was not bad at all, very straight forward.

Now to the after effect of installing these parts. After the parts installed and settled in, I finally went out for a nice drive and pushed the car a bit, and to my surprise it wasn’t just take off improvements.

Same scenario, but different outcome. Light hits green, but this time, you get a little chirp and you feel it hook hard and the front of the car lifts up. Car pushes you off so hard and fast, you almost forget to shift, and the car hits redline, you shift it into second gear, tires chirp but the car is still shooting straight, RPMs are climbing even faster, you shift it into third, and right before it hits redline you let go of the gas… and your buddy in the passenger seat whispers “holy shit…” as if he saw a ghost, then with excitement says “man you can feel that hard in the stomach!” as he is getting giddy with excitement.

The stop the hop kit, does more than just stopping the hop, it actually keeps the car stabilized on hard launches, fast turns, or just going fast straight. You can really feel the difference especially when the tires want to let loose, it makes the car much more predictable and controllable. The rear always felt loose for me, because if you look at the bushings that the S550 comes with, rather it be the differential bushings or the subframe support bushings, they are very timid and soft. The whole reason why the rear does not give confidence. They are too soft for a car of this caliber. Steeda’s stop the hop kit really enhances the IRS subframe, and transforms the rear end of the car. You not only feel it hold the line straight when taking off hard, but makes taking fast turns better and allows you to go even faster. Another thing I noticed was cruising on the highway doing 70-80mph, going over bumps and different pavements, the car liked to stay straight. The rear stays put and follows the direction of the front wheels.

It also complimented the parts I had already on the car. Also for anyone having issues with wheel hop, or want to have better performance all around of the rear, I HIGHLY recommend this setup! I promise you won’t be disappointed. One tip of advice when installing them, is to loosen the rear front IRS bolts and bracket to help align the IRS Brace for easier install.

Thanks again Steeda for another great product!!
Y++vTN%RREWHxw1UtwR5hw_thumb_567b.jpg
Enzo, Thank you Sharing!
Steeda Tech

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
One of these days I'd like to see an unbiased comparison of the anti-hop solutions from multiple vendors. I love Steeda's stuff, it just works. I also like other stuff, it works too. Be interesting to see this.

Either way, well done. What tires do you run?

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
One of these days I'd like to see an unbiased comparison of the anti-hop solutions from multiple vendors. I love Steeda's stuff, it just works. I also like other stuff, it works too. Be interesting to see this.

Thanks! I’m currently running Michelin Pilot sport 4S.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t used any other product outside of steeda with my mustangs. So it may be biased, but every time I have installed something from Steeda I never had a need to look else where after. Your right Steeda stuff works and other stuff works too, but my biggest concerns with aftermarket parts is nvh and it still being able to perform, that is something steeda definitely delivers on for me.

I will be also reviewing the mgw shifter and driveshaft shop driveshaft as well, which have made a big difference for drivetrain.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase

I had the Steeda kit on my '18, and my buddy has the BMR stuff on his. They do the same thing and get you to the same place. but I like the way the Steeda stuff looks a lot better.

Sponsored

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanks! I’m currently running Michelin Pilot sport 4S.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t used any other product outside of steeda with my mustangs. So it may be biased, but every time I have installed something from Steeda I never had a need to look else where after. Your right Steeda stuff works and other stuff works too, but my biggest concerns with aftermarket parts is nvh and it still being able to perform, that is something steeda definitely delivers on for me.

I will be also reviewing the mgw shifter and driveshaft shop driveshaft as well, which have made a big difference for drivetrain.
if you don't mind me asking.. how did your car feel when you put the shocks on your lowered car? I am whipple e85 a10 on stock suspension with just springs (you can see the problem here). i have adj steeda shocks and struts and the stop hop kit sitting at home right now about to be installed. just want some insight. i know there will be a big difference but it's always great to hear how people would describe it (preferably in different driving scenarios)

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
if you don't mind me asking.. how did your car feel when you put the shocks on your lowered car? I am whipple e85 a10 on stock suspension with just springs (you can see the problem here). i have adj steeda shocks and struts and the stop hop kit sitting at home right now about to be installed. just want some insight. i know there will be a big difference but it's always great to hear how people would describe it (preferably in different driving scenarios)
That's a good question! I noticed a big difference right away, especially if you have the adjustable ones. With the stock shocks it did not feel bad, but it felt to soft for the springs, and almost felt mushy for me. I noticed less body roll, and extra improvement when launching the car compared to stock shocks and springs. Braking was a big improvement! It no longer dipped hard, granted it still dipped, but it was in a way where you could still control the car if you braked hard. You will love it, and definitely play with the settings until you get it dialed in to where you like it. Also the stop the hop kit you will love!!! Especially since you're doing some major changes to the handling of the car! Good luck and if you have questions on install feel free to reach out!
Sponsored