Steeda or BMR jacking rails?

mattshotgunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Which do you guys prefer Steeda or BMR? I have never used rails before so I am trying to decide which rails would be best. On a related note, can you place jack stands under the rail or should you just stick with the pinch welds?
Sponsored

scott6809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTCS
I went with Steeda

Which do you guys prefer Steeda or BMR? I have never used rails before so I am trying to decide which rails would be best. On a related note, can you place jack stands under the rail or should you just stick with the pinch welds?
I went with the Steeda and so far they've been great. I like being able to jack the vehicle up in middle allowing me to put front and rear stands under it at the same time.

I actually use a 6x6 and a 4x4 lumber stacked to get wheels off the ground for winter storage. I have jack stands that I use when I need the vehicle higher and I don't use the pinch welds, I place the jack stands right on the rail.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
[MENTION=25648]scott6809[/MENTION]: Do you have rubber bumpers on your jack stands? I'm thinking of buying some universal jackstand bumpers off Ebay for my stands.

I just bought the Steeda rails today for the reasons Scott6809 stated in the first sentence of his post.

Will be interesting to see what I have to do with the caulk on the welds. Have read quote a few posts that the rails won't lay flat without cutting that caulk off first, before mouting the rails.

OTOH, I've also read posts that say "I mounted the rails right on top of the caulk and just smooshed it down, no problems." I'm not sure if either one is the correct answer.

Guess I'll be finding out in a few days when my Steeds rails get here.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
i just bought & installed the steeda jacking rails, install went smooth and they fit fine. i did have to cut up the sealant/caulk which was pretty easy to do with a razor blade. (they say not all cars have it so yours may or may not have it)

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
My car has one thick line on each side, right past where the front of the rails will mount. I wonder if there are weld-point differences b/t 2015/16/17 models?

The caulk is there for a reason. So what I might do is cut off the bead of caulk, then put a NEW bead of caulk there and install the jacking rail over it. Win-win at that point. The seam is still caulked but the rail fits flat against the bottom of the car as it's intended to. No one will ever see a little bit squished-out caulk on either side of the rail...and with my OCD I'd probably wipe it off anyway before it dried.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
That's good to know, bjstang. Thanks.

scott6809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTCS
[MENTION=25648]scott6809[/MENTION]: Do you have rubber bumpers on your jack stands?
No I do not use the rubber bumpers and I just bolted the rails on without trimming the caulking and it flattened out for me.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I doubt you'll find someone that has used both. Seems pointless to swap out jacking rails. That being said I've got the Steeda ones. They're pretty great. You can jack from anywhere along the rail. I actually had my car in the air yesterday taking off all the plastidip off my wheels. I could get the entire side up to take off both wheels.

The install is super easy but kind of pain to do by yourself. Much easier with someone holding the rail and someone else bolting it up.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've installed both. BMRs are longer, but if you go with Steeda's IRS frame brace (recommended by me and many others) then you can't use BMR's. The Steeda IRS braces also add a jacking point at the rear most part of the pinch welds. Steedas are also tapered at the end, so if you roll over a sharp crest with a sharp down hill and happen to scrape the jacking rail, you shouldn't teeter totter and scrape too much as you crest the dip right before the rear wheel. I have jacking rails to protect from scraping for this very reason, honestly I don't really NEED them to jack the car up. I've beaten' my Steeda ones to hell where I live and they protect the bottom of my car and aside from a bunch of scrapes on them, are perfectly fine. BMRs are a good option, too. Whichever ones you like the most. I THINK Steeda's might be lighter, but I'm not sure. In the end it'd make no real difference. You can probably PM TJ@Steeda and get a discount code.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
No I do not use the rubber bumpers and I just bolted the rails on without trimming the caulking and it flattened out for me.
Same with me. Considering how often I scrape mine due to my sharp decline to get into my warehouse parking garage... I can care less about using a rubber thing to jack the car up. You won't see the scratches, who cares.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mattshotgunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for the feedback guys, I am going to buy the Steeda rails.
Sponsored