Sponsored

Static hissing noise from the speakers

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
My 17 had always done this, but now my screen also fails to dim with the headlights on, I have to manually press one of the dimmer buttons to get it to reduce brightness at night.
Sponsored

LinkRS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP
Hi :-), I had this same issue with my previous 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium with the Shaker Audio system. Whenever the system was off, but the car had power, I would hear a faint hiss (or buzz) from all the speakers. It was only noticeable when it was really quite. I was under the impression this was caused by the speakers always being active, even when the audio system was off, this was to allow for the engine sound to be pumped into the passenger compartment. I just traded this in in June for a 2019 GT, and my new one does not do this. However, I do not have the upgraded B&O stereo system either.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
open your trunk and listen...I guarantee that the sub woofer will hiss even with the radio off. Product of line and gain input levels combined with general quality of components equal noise.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
My '19 GT with B&O has a hiss, even when the system is turned off. I'll be checking the source before I decide to let the deal

Sponsored

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
Im getting the same static. Constant and does not change with volume changes on the head unit.

Im running JL speakers, JL 4 channel amp, and I have tried DSR1 and LC7i line out converter. Same issue persists even when I bypass the stock amp. So the sound is being generated by the head unit.

(no its not a bad ground on my aftermarket amp, the sound goes away when I try a new RCA source. )

I’m getting so much static out of the radio when it’s at 0 volume. It sounds like an AM radio at 25% volume all the time. I’ve tried almost every aftermarket part to fix this. No luck.

how do you get ford to assess the head unit? This can’t be right. It’s offensive unless I tune the amp to be at minimum gain (and the stereo is very quiet).

Last edited:

Khris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2022
Im getting the same static. Constant and does not change with volume changes on the head unit.

Im running JL speakers, JL 4 channel amp, and I have tried DSR1 and LC7i line out converter. Same issue persists even when I bypass the stock amp. So the sound is being generated by the head unit.

(no its not a bad ground on my aftermarket amp, the sound goes away when I try a new RCA source. )

I’m getting so much static out of the radio when it’s at 0 volume. It sounds like an AM radio at 25% volume all the time. I’ve tried almost every aftermarket part to fix this. No luck.

how do you get ford to assess the head unit? This can’t be right. It’s offensive unless I tune the amp to be at minimum gain (and the stereo is very quiet).
Did you try to change the ACM, I found out in another forums that's the issue. Went to the dealer and they couldn't hear anything. Of course went I got back home the static noise came back.

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I've got a weird problem where whenever the car has auxiliary power (whether or not the engine is running), I hear this high frequency static hissing noise from what seems to be the speakers. You can hear it in this video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alooyt20l9frnpp/IMG_1711.mov?dl=0

The sound is so distinct that even driving around with the windows down doesn't drown it out, I can still hear it and it's really annoying. This happens even if the volume is at 0.

I took it into the dealership today, even had a tech sit down with me and confirm that he heard the noise, but they ended up saying that everything was working as expected and that this is "normal electrical noise". Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't heard anything like this in any other car, but I have not sat in another S550 Mustang to be able to know for sure. My car is a 2017 GT350 with the Electronics package (Shaker 9 speaker audio) if that matters.
Might be a similar issue below. Have to wonder if there's a TSB on this for Mustang?
"
ISSUE:
Some 2013-2016 Fusion vehicles may exhibit various radio concerns including: speaker static with key-off, no audio after vehicle is first started with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) U0184, no volume control, or a stuck CD with no slot blockage.

ACTION:
Reprogram the ACM to the latest calibration using IDS version 102.03 or higher. "

Update: I used latest beta Forscan to successfully update firmware on my ACM. Same static present after update.

Has anyone pulled the ACM (already had access due to Sync2>3 upgrade)? I unbolted mine but the cables would not give me enough slack to remove the connectors. I can see a larger harness clipped to a metal strut behind the unit with two white panel clips. Maybe it has to be unclipped to give enough slack to pull it out or maybe the cables were kinked behind the housing and needed a firmer tug?

I'd like to try attaching a ground to the ACM to see if it matters? Any other ideas? I have disabled ACN in Forscan. The service manual identifies the ACN fake noise as the primary cause of speaker noise. I disconnected the fake engine noise mic above the rear headliner and the noise persisted. Since it's disabled in Forscan, I decided to re-connect it to get rid of the open circuit DTC's.

I had this noise with a Sync2 and now again with Sync3. The noise is worse on the passenger side speaker and rear deck speakers. Has to be a bad ground or feedback from the am/fm amp? Is there a stock amp somewhere or is it all in the ACN? Not even sure where the am/fm amp is located. I know that the antenna on the coupe is integrated into the rear glass. The manual suggests enable the rear defrost to see if it influences the speaker noise. Removing window tint or cutting window tint could compromise the antenna which is applied to the surface of the inside of the glass. If it's speaker feedback, would attaching some ferrite cores to the cables have any effect?

Seems pretty poor that Ford calls this normal. I have the Shaker 9 with an external amp/bass in the trunk. Disconnecting them doesn't affect the noise. The amp is properly grounded with a heavy cable and draws power from a fused line directly from the battery. I have experimented with Forscan variable out, disabled factory eq, etc.

Last edited:

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Hi :-), I had this same issue with my previous 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium with the Shaker Audio system. Whenever the system was off, but the car had power, I would hear a faint hiss (or buzz) from all the speakers. It was only noticeable when it was really quite. I was under the impression this was caused by the speakers always being active, even when the audio system was off, this was to allow for the engine sound to be pumped into the passenger compartment. I just traded this in in June for a 2019 GT, and my new one does not do this. However, I do not have the upgraded B&O stereo system either.
My car does the exact same thing. I believe it's an issue with the premium Shaker 9 speaker amp. It's on all the time for he ANC. Even when I disabled ANC in Forscan, I can still hear the faint shhhhh in the speakers. Disconnecting the mic in the headliner had no effect. Updating the firmware in the ACM had no effect. I'm guessing the "premium" factory amp in the driver footwell left side is the culprit. Most likely it has too high of a gain resulting in hiss. It doesn't have any adjustable pots and is set from the factory. Given the volume of cars with this issue, a used unit would very likely have the same issue. Swapping APIMS did not solve this issue. Noise is audible with the stereo off in a quiet garage. I'd be curious to know if anyone has had luck addressing the noise likely from the Shaker 9 premium amp?
Sponsored