Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Ruby Red
Hello All,
I have 2015 GT 5.0.
Installed a used Cat-Back system with an H-tube crossover.
When In 6th gear running approx. 1800-1900 (or less) RPM, I am getting a very loud annoying 'reverb-drone" tone from the system inside the cabin.
Goes away upon acceleration or deceleration. Present on straight line without rpm variation.
So, I was wondering if it might be due to the H-tube crossover causing this reverb effect at lower RPM,s
Anyone run this system ?
Curious if the X-Pipe crossover would work better.
As I understand it, an X-pipe crossover may be a bit quieter than the H-Pipe because of an increase in overall exhaust flow.
Anyone have real world practical experience regarding this or the issue I mentioned above ?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jkcpsal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
15 gt performance
I have the same system with the x pipe, bought the car with it about a month ago. Sounds the same here, I am thinking about having j pipes welded on, was looking to maybe replace either the mid mufflers or the end ones but j pipes should be the cheapest option. Hoping if I can get rid of the drone I will be happy with it, I don't think it's too crazy loud like Corsa extreme. I have stainless workers headers with cats also

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Anyone have real world practical experience regarding this or the issue I mentioned above ?
Thanks for your thoughts.
It’s the rear mufflers, they are not designed to cancel typical drone frequencies.
H-pipe, X-pipe, No-pipe will not change the drone.
At the end of the day it’s the rear muffler design that kills drone such as AWE or CORSA, Borla does a good job but I can’t stand fiber packed mufflers.
Rear Helmholtz should do the trick. Depends what you want to spend.
Something like this Thermal R&D gets it done effectively.
C18276B8-C1F7-407C-9F04-FF6FDB4A020F.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rubybarchetta

Rubybarchetta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Ruby Red
Rear Helmholtz should do the trick. Depends what you want to spend.
Something like this Thermal R&D gets it done effectively.
Thanks for the info !
I'm seriously considering this system.

OP
OP
Rubybarchetta

Rubybarchetta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Ruby Red

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubybarchetta

Rubybarchetta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Ruby Red
Thank you GregO for the recommendation:
OK, So I installed the Thermal R&D system. I am very impressed ! It has a deep tone and there is absolutely NO drone at any speed or RPM. Install took about 2 hours. The cabin is quiet enough to hear the stereo and I don't have to blast it. Granted, this system may not be as loud as some others on the market but I didn't want super loud, was looking for a nice deep low muscle car tone and is louder than stock. I highly recommend this system.
https://thermalrd.com/

Last edited:

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I might just be a menace or insane or both but I can't wait for the drone on my mbrp race :crazy: previous owner said the cops pulled him over to give him warnings about it too :crackup:
Sponsored