Sponsored

Spoiler paint issues - looking for input!

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Premium, Lightning Blue
Hey guys,
Looking for input on the quality of this paint job. Is this normal for aftermarket stuff?

I recently picked up a Q-Series spoiler directly from Steeda and had a local shop paint it gloss black. I got a call last Thursday and went to pick it up, only to find several runs in the clear coat. I mention it, and the owner starts to go off on how difficult this spoiler is to paint: I was told the satin black primer that comes on the spoiler wasn't compatible with the 'house of color', 'top quality' paint the shop uses which apparently caused complications getting the paint to evenly cure. Long story short, they agree to take care of the runny clear, and I get a call a day later to come pick it up. Everything looks good in the indoor lighting of the shop, but when I get home and take a closer look in the sunlight, I see tons of small white dots everywhere. Not sure if this is in the paint or in the clear coat, but I'm anal about this kind of stuff and it'll bug me once it's on the car.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I spent $150 on this paint job, and I'm torn between paying another shop to fix it or just live with it. The owner of this shop has made it clear he's done with this thing...

PS - aside from my paint issues, this spoiler looks fantastic in person! Can't wait to get it on the car.

Input is appreciated...what would you do?
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
then if the primer wasn't compatible they should have sealed the spoiler and then used the color, i've been painting for 12 yrs and ive never seen that happen to a spoiler, i have shot rm diamont, glasserit 55 and 65 line,chromax , sikkens, just to name a few and i have never seen a issue with painting a spoiler like that and ive seen some pretty bad crap knock offs

looks to me that they overheated the clear and it bubbled.. i air dry plastic parts with the heat on but dont bake it
thats unprofessional to even send a part out looking like that.
can you feel them with your finger nail ? are they like blisters.. or it could be someone sprayed something next to it and its over spray hard to tell without feeling it and seeing it

OP
OP
Jmart

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input, I was starting to think I was just being too picky. Surface feels really smooth, doesn't seem like overspray. Seems like the dots are embedded down within one of the coats.

Sounds like I need to find a better paint shop, just sucks to be paying twice! I'm going to give the place one last chance to make it right before going elsewhere. Not new to modding but I am new to aftermarket paint, so I'm out of my element on this one.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Definitely not an acceptable paint job.

I had a GT350R wing sprayed gloss black and by the end of the shops work it was crystal clear like glass. The way it should be.

I'd take the job elsewhere, looks like this shop isn't up to the job.

OP
OP
Jmart

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, certainly not happy with the quality - I'll be shopping around this afternoon.

Lesson learned, I used this shop based off of Yelp reviews. Sounds like I need real input before picking a shop in the future.

Anything specific I should be asking for before getting more quotes? Any special prep work, etc... to create a good base with the current paint on there?

Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
You just need a competent body/paint shop. Post in the local section on here or talk with friends. A spoiler shouldn't be any more difficult than a front or rear bumper to paint.

OP
OP
Jmart

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: I just took it back to the shop and the owner apologized, maybe I caught him on a bad day before! He took the spoiler back and is sanding/repainting. Hopefully 2nd time is a charm...

Thanks again for the input guys! This has been a learning experience.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
yeah he should make it right ... id be ashamed to let anything go like that ..but im a very anal painter..i paint things how i would want them and thats damn near perfect

asylum938

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
just to put my experience in here.

I have the same q series spoiler from steeda and I had the body shop at the dealership I work for paint it.

the painter commented on how easy it was to spray and the finished job looked perfect!

OP
OP
Jmart

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very glad to hear it isn't the spoiler...I expected as much! Fingers crossed it comes out right this time.

Are there photos of your ride anywhere? How are you liking it?

Rick@LASTREETCARS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lastreetcars.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP - Procharged and Built
Glad they are making this right!

We always seal everything with a primer sealant or epoxy sealant to ensure paint compatibility and longevity.

Also, looks generally like a bunch of solvent pop, like they used the wrong reducer.

Good luck! Hope it's great when you get it back!
Sponsored