phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Has anyone tried jacking with a flat?

I had a flat today and couldn't get anything underneath the car next to the flat - even a low jack that looks similar to the FG jack, but from a Lexus!

My tyre was completely flat, my car is lowered an inch and I was missing out on getting a jack under by at least a couple of CMs.

Luckily I was at home with a couple of jacks, so I jacked the back to lift the front enough to get another jack under the front. Not going to be an option out and about on the road and it's enough to make me think there's no point in me getting a spare tyre that fits the wheel well.
I did wonder about this, my car is super low as well so I'm slightly concerned this could be my issue too
Sponsored

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
I did wonder about this, my car is super low as well so I'm slightly concerned this could be my issue too
I just had a thought that maybe if it's a slowish leak, could use the compressor to get a little more height before jacking ;)

Otherwise a small block of timber to drive the flat wheel onto before jacking?

Two jacks plus a spare?

Maybe just roadside assist :/

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just had a thought that maybe if it's a slowish leak, could use the compressor to get a little more height before jacking ;)

Otherwise a small block of timber to drive the flat wheel onto before jacking?

Two jacks plus a spare?

Maybe just roadside assist :/
Hhaha yeah timber would work fine but just more shit to carry lol

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
If push came to shove I imagine we would find something to put under the wheel and drive onto. With a standard wheel and not a car that is not lowered there was plenty of room for the jack and even with a flat it looked like it would easily fit, so I did not look into this that deeply. Going to be a few variables here, how much the car is lowered and what wheels and tyre you are running. A bigger rim with a lower profile tyre will not drop as much as a 19" with higher profile if it is dead flat.

Maybe have to add one of these to the tool kit:)

Sorry no Banana for scale.......
wood.jpg

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, good thinking, on 20s there may have been JUST enough clearance, but I reckon a bit of 20mm ply might be required :)

Sponsored

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
Picked up my spare from Tempe Tyres this afternoon, so it didn't take them long to get some back in stock. I wanted silver so I'm not sure if that made any difference.

Now I suppose I'd better start practicing to see if I can get the tyres off when they are flat.

AussieGreg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon FGMkII XR6 Turbo, 2016 Ford Mustang GT
Can any Sydney members of the forum recommend a wrecking yard in Sydney that I can try to see if I can get an FG sedan jack kit. I will be in down in Sydney on Thursday. I have had no luck up here on the Central Coast.

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
Picked up my spare from Tempe Tyres this afternoon, so it didn't take them long to get some back in stock. I wanted silver so I'm not sure if that made any difference.

Now I suppose I'd better start practicing to see if I can get the tyres off when they are flat.
Yep it is tight, had a look on the weekend didn't deflate the tyre as they came with a nitro fill thrown in by the dealer, but measured up the clearance on the jack and the sidewall on the tyre and it is real close. If push came to shove and you were really stuck I am sure you would find something or carry a small bit of ply in the boot.

Can any Sydney members of the forum recommend a wrecking yard in Sydney that I can try to see if I can get an FG sedan jack kit. I will be in down in Sydney on Thursday. I have had no luck up here on the Central Coast.
I got mine form Fordpro in Smithfield he wanted $100.00 but got him to $80.00 still a bit much for something I am sure they normally throw out, but was not going to drive around all day haggling. You could also try pick and payless in Blacktown.

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
My GT boot mat arrived from CJ Pony Parts today. It looks great in the boot and certainly helps to flatten out the tempe wheel.

GTSALLY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fi
Vehicle(s)
gt convertible Magnetic ordered and hoping
wonder what ford will charge for the Tempe spare, as they are buying them up in Syndey. got our jack waiting with the ever growing boxes, now waiting on the tyre to arrive sometime this week, great service from Matt, couldnt recommend them enough, excellent job from them

Sponsored

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
There's lots of pages in this thread so can i please have a recap of the Gnome spare solution. ..thanks

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
Hey Snake Bite,
Just phone Tempe tyres in Sydney and ask for the Mustang spare. It comes with the tyre and wheel nuts. Mine was $525 delivered to Victoria
Buy an FG Falcon jack kit from a wrecker (Complete with foam base handle etc)
Buy a webbing strap to hold it all down
Buy an extension brace with the 19mm socket and 20mm (I may be wrong with the sizes here, please confirm)
Maybe also a small block of wood to raise the rim if completely flat on road surface
Put it all in the boot
Job done!!
All thanks to "John" / Gnome for the hard yards working out this solution

mix 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mick
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Mustang Auto
Mustang wheels nuts are 21mm:) & the "Gnome" spare from Tempe Tyres come with 19mm wheel nuts.:thumbsup:

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
FWIW I used the jack out of my Lexus IS250 and it worked fine. Haven't checked for fit in the back because I don't have a spare, but it's fairly small
Sponsored