AussieGreg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon FGMkII XR6 Turbo, 2016 Ford Mustang GT
I am waiting on answers about this part number FR3Z-1007-G

It is listed as being compatible for the 50th anniversary edition and being a Shelby version.
Can you post a link or photo of this please.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
Google FR3Z-1007-G
there are lots of sites selling it, some even have a drawing of it.

Indicates its for Premium and 50th anniversary Mustangs - I'd assume it won't fit Performance Pack...

AussieGreg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Google FR3Z-1007-G

Indicates its for Premium and 50th anniversary Mustangs - I'd assume it won't fit Performance Pack...

Will do Scott. They may not fit over the front Brembo's . Maybe worth emailing these suppliers to see.

quick duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VZ Berlina wagon
Google FR3Z-1007-G

thats one of the reasons I am asking about it, all 50th cars came with PP

Sponsored

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
thats one of the reasons I am asking about it, all 50th cars came with PP
Yeah, you're right, that makes no sense to support 50th anniversary and NOT PP!?!@#

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT 5.0 - Manual - Race Red
Just a quick heads up for anyone else about to pull the pin and order the same setup. One of the other wheel manufacturers that did not have anything that would do the job now has something in the pipeline.

Not sure if this will be a better option, but will know more on Wednesday.
John,

Thanks for your past research and continued interest on this subject, even though you have bought your Spare Wheel.

My car is currently on the Tijuca, just past through the Panama Canal and due in Port Kembla on the 11/05/16.

I am going to buy a Spare Wheel and was going to go down the track of buying the same as yours, from Tempe Tyres.

I have bought the Boot Carpet Mat from CJ Pony Parts, to place over the hump caused by the depth of the Spare Wheel.

I will be interested to see what the other option is that you mention.

Please keep us updated.

Graeme

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
Yesterday I had a long chat with two very knowledgeable guys from a wheel manufacturer down at Sinclair. They have been working on an option with the guy I bought my car from, and I was asked along so they could have a look at the setup I have, how it fits in the boot, and to pass on what I have learnt so far.

This was an initiative taken by my dealer, and while I don't want to give away too much of what he is doing, the wheel guys did bring up something that was not mentioned by anyone else I have spoken with so far, and this may have a bearing on making a decision about a spare for some.

They will be offering a wheel that is essentially the same as the stock front wheel with a stock sized tyre. While it is not something I would want taking up so much room, I did understand why they were going that way.

I was told that there is a bit of a storm brewing about space saver wheels, and a crack down on what is and isn't allowed may be coming. It is a bit of a grey area, but the concern is that if you fit something that is not the same spec as the standard wheel / tyre, and the car was not put though Aus compliance with it then it may not meet ADRs. This may be why Ford has not offered one here.

To many this wont matter as it is for emergency use only and most people would know to take it easy when it is fitted, but I mention it so that anyone doing this is aware.

I will be sticking with the setup I have, I have taken it down a nice quite road fitted to the front and back and essentially tried to break it with some pretty hard emergency stops, and while it did squeal a bit when I hit the brakes hard enough for the ABS to kick in, it still pulled up straight. ( Dry road) Even though you wouldn't normally do it, I also floored it when it was on the back and it did get pretty squirmy but you would expect that.:)

So the message is, the Simmons wheel setup does work, but if you are worried about possible legal implications, then you will need to make up your own mind on that.

I think I am just about done with this one, and as soon as those damn DRLs get here from the US, onto a more fun enhancement.

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
Yesterday I had a long chat with two very knowledgeable guys from a wheel manufacturer down at Sinclair. They have been working on an option with the guy I bought my car from, and I was asked along so they could have a look at the setup I have, how it fits in the boot, and to pass on what I have learnt so far.

This was an initiative taken by my dealer, and while I don't want to give away too much of what he is doing, the wheel guys did bring up something that was not mentioned by anyone else I have spoken with so far, and this may have a bearing on making a decision about a spare for some.

They will be offering a wheel that is essentially the same as the stock front wheel with a stock sized tyre. While it is not something I would want taking up so much room, I did understand why they were going that way.

I was told that there is a bit of a storm brewing about space saver wheels, and a crack down on what is and isn't allowed may be coming. It is a bit of a grey area, but the concern is that if you fit something that is not the same spec as the standard wheel / tyre, and the car was not put though Aus compliance with it then it may not meet ADRs. This may be why Ford has not offered one here.

To many this wont matter as it is for emergency use only and most people would know to take it easy when it is fitted, but I mention it so that anyone doing this is aware.

I will be sticking with the setup I have, I have taken it down a nice quite road fitted to the front and back and essentially tried to break it with some pretty hard emergency stops, and while it did squeal a bit when I hit the brakes hard enough for the ABS to kick in, it still pulled up straight. ( Dry road) Even though you wouldn't normally do it, I also floored it when it was on the back and it did get pretty squirmy but you would expect that.:)

So the message is, the Simmons wheel setup does work, but if you are worried about possible legal implications, then you will need to make up your own mind on that.

I think I am just about done with this one, and as soon as those damn DRLs get here from the US, onto a more fun enhancement.
Thanks for the update John.

I think I will get the Simmons Wheel from Tempe Tyres.

As you said, it will only be used in emergencies and you need to be aware of the performance limitations of the wheel.

Thanks
Graeme

Sponsored

AussieGreg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I will update here once I hear back, but I may have to chase down the answer from Ford US rather than the parts supplier I have asked. Most suppliers like to match a part to a VIN to ensure no issues.

Just wondering if you have had any luck with your research regarding this spare wheel option with Ford US?

AussieGreg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Yes thanks for the update John. Will most likely go the way you went.
However just wondering with Ford Australia giving us all Free Roadside Assistance for 12 months via each states motoring organisation I wonder if all the forum members were to approach their states motoring organisation asking for their support in tackling this issue. A lot of us may already be a member with another car we own anyway.
Lets face it the repair kit provided will be useless if you were to have a blowout and shred a tyre. In this case the states motoring organisation would have to send out a flat bed. I am sure the motoring organisation have better ways of spending their money.
Just a thought.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Thanks John,

I'm waiting to hear from Hammo at Sinclair Ford to see what they do, from your feedback I'm not expecting anything happening soon.

Cheers

Jim

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
Just wondering if you have had any luck with your research regarding this spare wheel option with Ford US?

Hi AussieGreg,

Ford USA do not supply or make a Spare Wheel for the Mustang GT fitted with the Performance Pack.

Our USA friends are in the same situation as we are. No Spare Wheel available from Ford for their cars.

Graeme

quick duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VZ Berlina wagon

Hey Greg, it's looking promising but I need to wait on Ford to give me an answer. Supplier I talked to can not be 100% sure, but it does appear to be one that can be used based on the listing. I sent Ford a message yesterday, so may be a week before we get more info
Sponsored