Spanner/wrench light on 2017 GT

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT vert & 2018 Fury GT Vert & 2020 grabber Lime GT Vert
Hey guys, so I was driving sensibly home today and noticed a Spanner/wrench light come on and it went into limp mode so I couldn't change the driving modes and it drove like a pig... It's a 2017 GT convertible. I checked the oil life and it's still shows 40% left in it. Car has 9xxxk on the clock... any suggestions what it could be? It's been booked in at the dealer to see what's happend.
Sponsored

moreause

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
wrench is like obd there is lots of thing that will light it up

i just used the forscan app when it happened to me with obdlink mx to see what was the issue...reset every thing and never came back

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
I had it come up temporarily after I shipped the car overseas, and it came up with the wrench and also what the problem was (I can't remember exactly what it said). Did yours just have the wrench and no further information?

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Take it to a dealership if you dont have an OBD tool, otherwise places like Supercheap will scan it for a fee.

Actually you should have RAC* cover if its under 12 months since bought or serviced at a dealer, call them.

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I had it come up temporarily after I shipped the car overseas, and it came up with the wrench and also what the problem was (I can't remember exactly what it said). Did yours just have the wrench and no further information?
Yeah that's right bud, but I also couldn't select any driving modes...

Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Take it to a dealership if you dont have an OBD tool, otherwise places like Supercheap will scan it for a fee.

Actually you should have RAC* cover if its under 12 months since bought or serviced at a dealer, call them.
Not all codes will show up on OBD scans. I wasn't aware of this myself until fairly recently. Found Forscan showed errors my Scangage wasn't. Actually reminds me that I should check and see if it's come back.

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, so car went to Ford for the spanner issue and guess what was found? That's right, nothing... lol, ford and there stories... they could write a Childrens book. They reckon the computer didn't log a fault code for the limp mode.

Also got this strange noise coming from the back of the engine/gear box/cats area... it's like a clicking noise, it only happen on warm startups and last for about 3 min. You can't hear anything if you start it on a cold morning or when you turn the car off and back on straight away, car needs to be hot then off for about 30 min then back on and you will hear it... they said its the aircon compressor pulsing yet the aircon is off and and only happend at certain temperate. Any ideas what it might be? Sick of going back and fowards to the dealer... on a good side, got a free wash

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Also got this strange noise coming from the back of the engine/gear box/cats area
Search ‘BBQ tick’ on the forum. It sounds like it’s a recognised thing that was common in the S197s but, other than being annoying, isn’t a sign of badness. There’s some videos of other peoples’ ticking that might help to see if youare is the same

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
on a good side, got a free wash ��
You're a far braver man than I.

Whenever my car is at the dealer, I make sure it's plastered with signs telling them not to wash it.

I have visions of some pimply apprentice running a dirt infested broom all over it ala Hertz.

Sponsored

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase

Whenever my car is at the dealer, I make sure it's plastered with signs telling them not to wash it.

I have visions of some pimply apprentice running a dirt infested broom all over it ala Hertz.
Yeah me too!

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course

Me three

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Fastback Auto
Hi guys

I had a spanner light on the weekend. Only error code of any kind that I have had since I had extensive mods done 9 months and 8000 kms ago.

My car has had a Steeda CAI, GT350 throttle body and Hurricane Headers/exhaust system and tune all done by the Mustang Motorsport guys.

Emailed them and was told not to worry given that it has only happened once. Also, I never got an accompanying Engine Check Light which is more serious. The car drove like a dog until I pulled over, turned off, waited a minute and started up again- been fine ever since. I have an OBD reader that came up Nil errors which makes sense as OBD readers tend to work more reliably (at least the cheaper ones that consumers like my purchase) with Engine Check lights, not the lesser Spanner lights

I did an extensive search on the web and found the likely cause to be related to a throttle body issue, possibly sensor related or an issue that relates to fly by wire throttle

Unless it happens again, I am going to take Mustang Motorsports advice and just keep an eye on it.
By the way, the car is a hell of a lot of fun to drive with these mods!

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, so finally after going to numerous Ford dealers... one dealer found the issues and it turned out to be the engine... this is going to be a very long process.