Sponsored

Southern NH/Northern MA Car Club

CarterRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Just throwing a feeler out to see if there are people in a situation like myself. TL/DR: Buying/Leasing garage space for weekend toys.

Long story short, I have too many vehicles for my current place of residence. I have always wanted a hangout spot for people of like minds (car guys) and a place to house my weekend toys (in this case, currently my Mustang). I've toyed with the idea of leasing or buying a commercial condo and building out a hangout spot. I make this post to see if there are people that have the same wants as me but not the means to do so or maybe you are just interested.

Ultimately I'd like to find 2000-4000 sqft of space in Southern NH or Northern MA with quick access to Rt 3, 93, 95, or 495. With this space, have a number of guys with dedicated parking spots with 247 access to come and go as they please. Then supplement that with people that would just like to take advantage of the space (ideally a lift or two, lounge and bar area) and have them pay a nominal monthly/yearly membership fee.

The space could ultimately be used as a hang out for members but also to be used as a cruise starting point, if the space was big enough could host car shows.

Just spit balling here as I look to find garage space for my Mustang to keep it out of the elements as I drive it maybe once a week.
Sponsored

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have thought about it as a business opportunity, not just a co-op.

NHman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
OP, I have a similar restriction with multiple vehicles that exceed available garage parking (at my house). Of the only two garage spots, my wife's Volvo takes one. This is non-negotiable. The other is now reserved for my GT350. Pushing my DD to the outdoors. Certainly not first world problems but I do prefer parking my vehicles in a protected area.

When my house was built, I should've gone with a three or four car garage. At the time, I assumed two was enough. I will always store my fun/weekend toys for the winter season (usually from November to early April). It has heat, 110 vac outlet (battery tender) and security. The thought of renting or buying a "toy" condo is interesting but, for me, I would rather spend the money to expand my existing house. Whether as an attachment or separate garage. If it required a 15-25 minute drive just to get my car, to be honest, it would sit there for most of the time. I need to have my cars at the house and simply grab the key for the one that I will be driving that day.

BTW, we have a similar brands in our stable (Ford and Audi). I really like the RS4. Rare vehicle in this area.

OP
OP

CarterRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The thought of renting or buying a "toy" condo is interesting but, for me, I would rather spend the money to expand my existing house. Whether as an attachment or separate garage. If it required a 15-25 minute drive just to get my car, to be honest, it would sit there for most of the time. I need to have my cars at the house and simply grab the key for the one that I will be driving that day.

BTW, we have a similar brands in our stable (Ford and Audi). I really like the RS4. Rare vehicle in this area.
Definitely agree. When my motorcycle was stored away from home I never ended up driving it. I'm hoping this would be alittle different in that it would be a hang out and I'd end up trading cars more than just for the day...ideally.

Ultimately my goal is to build a 3-4 car garage with a condo above it for myself but I just haven't found the right piece of land yet.

My DD was a B8.5 S4 last year loved it but it lacked the driving experience so hoping the RS4 will save that this summer.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Sounds like Spindles Auto Club. They own an old car dealership building in Quincy. Members can store and work on their cars.

Sponsored

NHman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My DD was a B8.5 S4 last year loved it but it lacked the driving experience so hoping the RS4 will save that this summer.
I've driven the B8 and B8.5 S4 but not the B7 RS4. In my opinion, the B8.x is an excellent DD. Yes it does lack the emotional connectional but it has a lot going for it. Capable year around (for N.E. weather), quick and a degree of luxury. I can say the about my current B9 S4. Technology and luxury ahead of my GT350. It's also faster in the low and mid-range. But it's also fairly vanilla in it's styling and driving experience. Acceptable to me for a DD. If I were to go with a single vehicle, most likely I would go with M3 or similar.

For your B7 RS4, be sure to look for carbon build-up.

Trptguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would be in for this. At the moment I only own the mustang, but in the past i have had several cars at the same time. I have a feeling that will be the case in the near future again.

Any ideas on cost?

OP
OP

CarterRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I would be in for this. At the moment I only own the mustang, but in the past i have had several cars at the same time. I have a feeling that will be the case in the near future again.

Any ideas on cost?
My hope is to keep it under $300/month. Prices seem to be all over the place for space. Ideally looking to keep it under $1sqft/mo. So 1800 sqft I'm thinking 6 cars should be able to be able to moving in and out without moving the other cars. I'm hoping to get in and check out some more spaces in the coming weeks.

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My hope is to keep it under $300/month. Prices seem to be all over the place for space. Ideally looking to keep it under $1sqft/mo. So 1800 sqft I'm thinking 6 cars should be able to be able to moving in and out without moving the other cars. I'm hoping to get in and check out some more spaces in the coming weeks.
Here on the coast the cost per square foot for a decent building is a low of $.50 and up triple net ( NNN ) which means that aside from the building you are responsible for taxes and maintenance etc.

The further you get away from the seacoast the better, unfortunately, like others have mentioned, the time that it takes to get to the car is a deterrent to driving the car.

The way that you overcome this it, as mentioned,, is to have another reason to go there whether it is a social gathering "man cave" experience etc. I have also considered that in the equation as well.

The TAM, Total Addressable Market, for something like this is good in southern NH and the North Shore. I have floated the idea at some of the "Cars and Coffee" events when asking attendees where they store their cars and what they pay or would pay. Many want a place to work on the car. That is key!

I looked at what Portland Motor Club in Maine does as well as others. The comfort zone in terms of monthly costs that someone is willing to pay is around $150\month.

go to loopnet.com which has most commercial space leases in southern NH and the North Shore. I look occasionally. My goal was to have enough members to totally off-set my cost and possible make it a profitable business some day and quit the day job :D

Last edited:
OP
OP

CarterRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
go to loopnet.com which has most commercial space leases in southern NH and the North Shore. I look occasionally. My goal was to have enough members to totally off-set my cost and possible make it a profitable business some day and quit the day job :D
That would be a dream. Portland Motor Club is pretty much what I would be looking to do just on a smaller scale as I don't want this to take over as a full time job. Looks to be about $233/mo there but they have some great amenities.

Sponsored

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That would be a dream. Portland Motor Club is pretty much what I would be looking to do just on a smaller scale as I don't want this to take over as a full time job. Looks to be about $233/mo there but they have some great amenities.
We are on the same page. Maybe when I retire :lol:

I have been looking at this for 2 years and now I have 4 cars and a 2 car garage but we need to get the economies of scale to drive the total cost down by having enough "members".

Trptguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think something on a small scale would be good. Would love a space to hang out though with other car enthusiasts and not just a garage.

$150 a month seems good. Or if you don't store your car there and still want to hang, maybe a social membership....?

OP
OP

CarterRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Would love a space to hang out though with other car enthusiasts and not just a garage.

Or if you don't store your car there and still want to hang, maybe a social membership....?
Yea, exactly. I missed out on a 2k sqft spot in Tewksbury right off 93. Had a 20x20 mezzanine that would have been a great lounge area.
Sponsored