Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Not sure what you're getting at, but it's short-sighted to run roughshod over your own iconic product at the altar of product-blind business theory.
If it means Ford's survival then I think its a pretty good business move. I have been though branding/rebranding efforts before. I can tell you that many people within an organization hate the idea. Others love it. But as far as our Mustang is concerned it's wait and see.
Sponsored

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If this new 'E' is as good as Ford hopes it is, its name won't matter. If it's not that good, the Mustang name won't save it. Either way, the Mustang as a coupe or convertible loses, either by dilution (if the 'E' succeeds) or by being inescapably tied to a failure.

Not sure what you're getting at, but it's short-sighted to run roughshod over your own iconic product at the altar of product-blind business theory.

Norm
It's just how the Car markets seem to be aligning. Facilities, fabrication, manufacturing and hiring. They will directly support themselves and future endeavors and compartmentalize the structure of the product from fabrication to the lot. It's about aligning the ability to cut apart dead pieces to allow agile maneuverability.

I don't mean anything by it. Just discussing what I anticipate to be a similar move to the Ram brand.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If it means Ford's survival then I think its a pretty good business move. I have been though branding/rebranding efforts before. I can tell you that many people within an organization hate the idea. Others love it. But as far as our Mustang is concerned it's wait and see.
It's a good business move only when you've decided that your icon - your halo product, if you will - no longer deserves protection or special treatment; that its name now belongs on something pretty much the opposite of what it currently is and has always been.

I'm still seeing a "pistol 1, foot 0" kind of score here.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's just how the Car markets seem to be aligning. Facilities, fabrication, manufacturing and hiring. They will directly support themselves and future endeavors and compartmentalize the structure of the product from fabrication to the lot. It's about aligning the ability to cut apart dead pieces to allow agile maneuverability.

I don't mean anything by it. Just discussing what I anticipate to be a similar move to the Ram brand.
IOW, allegiance to business theory with little regard for product. This probably doesn't matter to those who buy vehicles as transportation appliances, but Ford (and I guess Ram) should maybe stop to think that not all of us are willing to become that kind of car shopper.

I mean, even over here in Ford country wouldn't we think that the powers-that-be over at GM had flat-out lost their minds if they ever even suggested that the Corvette name might go on an SUV or CUV?

Norm

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
It's a good business move only when you've decided that your icon - your halo product, if you will - no longer deserves protection or special treatment; that its name now belongs on something pretty much the opposite of what it currently is and has always been.

I'm still seeing a "pistol 1, foot 0" kind of score here.

Norm
I don't see how the product is losing its halo status. Mustang is Ford. Ram is Dodge.

However as a brand it helps keep them restricted from the losses in other departments.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't see how the product is losing its halo status.
The Mach E is just another SUV/CUV, not even a car (meaning sedan or possibly sportwagon here). To call this 'E' a Mustang means the Ford is not interested in what happens to the Mustang's image as a 2+2 coupe/convertible.

Mustang is Ford. Ram is Dodge.
I didn't bring the 'Ram' name into this. But once mention was made, all I did was suggest that both Ford and Ram should think a little harder about what they're about to do.

However as a brand it helps keep them restricted from the losses in other departments.
Aside from the Mustang (time will tell with respect to the Fusion), Ford only builds trucks and SUVs, so if either the truck or the SUV side tanks Ford is all but doomed. If Ford is that concerned that the Mach E is going to do poorly in the marketplace, band-aiding it with the Mustang name isn't going to save it, and can only hurt the Mustang as a 2+2. Tarnish on the halo.

Norm

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Introducing Ford’s All-New Outdoor Lifestyle Brand: Bronco Brand. It's an Outdoor Brand. It's a Lifestyle Brand. It's a brand brand. Every third word in the video is "brand". You can even get in on their official online forum and hang out with those who want to share the Bronco Brand Lifestyle.

So the question is, when they make this video for their "All New Ford Mustang Brand" what word will replace the "Outdoor" bit? I'm betting it will be something like "Active" or "Freedom." Karen wants the wind in her hair but she really doesn't care about performance per se.
Sponsored