Sponsored

Sort of disappointed with the digital dash

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I don’t think they’ll get burn in but, over time they may lose some brightness just like TV screens and computer screens. Since they don’t stay on as long as those household items, hopefully it would be a very long time before they lose brightness.
It depends on the led lifespan, but I believe the average of modern units is around 50k hours. That’s not to say it’s dead at 50k hours, but that brightness begins to noticeably reduce around that time (ie: 30% diminished). It’ll be interesting to see if replacement panels will be readily available 15+ years from now when they begin to be needed. :sun:

I'm not sure, in very dark light you can see the black has a slight glow. But it appears to be a high quality panel. It's better than the Sync screen. The difference in them is another annoyance of mine. :)
The cluster is a TFT matrix screen.
TFT Matrix is LCD, so there’s no fear of burn-in. (Honestly, any automaker using OLED is an idiot - there’s no need for it and the risk of burn-in is too large :p ) :)
I would also assume that it’s an IPS screen over TN...?
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
It depends on the led lifespan, but I believe the average of modern units is around 50k hours. That’s not to say it’s dead at 50k hours, but that brightness begins to noticeably reduce around that time (ie: 30% diminished). It’ll be interesting to see if replacement panels will be readily available 15+ years from now when they begin to be needed. :sun:

TFT Matrix is LCD, so there’s no fear of burn-in. (Honestly, any automaker using OLED is an idiot - there’s no need for it and the risk of burn-in is too large :p ) :)
I would also assume that it’s an IPS screen over TN...?
Judging by appearance I would guess it is IPS. I have not noticed any banding or color issues. Refresh rate is a just a touch slow as you can see on the air/fuel ratio gauge.

Infotainment screens usually have good availability on older cars. I replaced a scratched one on my prior car. I've seen panels 6 to 8 inch panels going for <$40.

It looks like if the cluster was opened up the panel should come out.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I’m confused here - why? It’s not an OLED screen, is it? LED/LCD do not get burn-in, it’s one of the major benefits.
Generally any screen can get a sort of burn-in, it is just a matter of time. I've seen several LCD screens with burn in, like when they watch 4x3 content almost exclusively on a 16x9 TV. Technically it's called Image Persistence, and it can be corrected in many circumstances, but if the car screen is displaying the same thing over and over again, like Normal mode, items from that display might still be visible when switching to a different mode. The process to correct it varies depending on the screen, and may only require leaving it off for an extended period of time, or may require solid white content displayed for a long time, which would be difficult to do with the car's screen.

It may not be a problem at all, but it's possible, and with it being fairly new to Ford, I don't have any info on what to expect.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Generally any screen can get a sort of burn-in, it is just a matter of time. I've seen several LCD screens with burn in, like when they watch 4x3 content almost exclusively on a 16x9 TV. Technically it's called Image Persistence, and it can be corrected in many circumstances, but if the car screen is displaying the same thing over and over again, like Normal mode, items from that display might still be visible when switching to a different mode. The process to correct it varies depending on the screen, and may only require leaving it off for an extended period of time, or may require solid white content displayed for a long time, which would be difficult to do with the car's screen.

It may not be a problem at all, but it's possible, and with it being fairly new to Ford, I don't have any info on what to expect.
What you’re describing is not burn-in nor is it an equivalent of it: it’s image retention and corrects itself after several minutes of a different image being displayed (not necessarily white). On an LCD screen, to my knowledge, it requires a large amount of hours of a static image, and simply turning off the display for several hours to a day (not even needing to display a new image) returns the crystals back to their relaxed state. It’s incredibly rare as it is on LCD TV/Monitors let alone a car which likely won’t have its screen on for nearly as long. There should be almost zero concern of this, and any remaining concern should be mitigated by simply turning your car off. :sun:

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Judging by appearance I would guess it is IPS. I have not noticed any banding or color issues. Refresh rate is a just a touch slow as you can see on the air/fuel ratio gauge.

Infotainment screens usually have good availability on older cars. I replaced a scratched one on my prior car. I've seen panels 6 to 8 inch panels going for <$40.

It looks like if the cluster was opened up the panel should come out.
IIRC the screen is 60hz, the delay is likely due to the cpu/gpu not being the best and focusing cycles on the tach/speedo. I do wish it used a 120hz panel, though. :(

EDIT: actually, after thinking about it, the delay for the auxiliary/optional gauges is most likely from the sensors not updating instantly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Well of course this can’t be duplicated by the dealer because it is so random, I have literally gone upwards of 14-15 days without issue and then reset them and 9 hrs later gone. I have a thread on this already and don’t want to hijack this one.
@Osofast sorry to hear you are having this silly albeit bothersome issue! I have had my 2018 GT since January of this year and it has not reset any of my settings. Maybe a re flash from the dealer will resolve your issue?

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What you’re describing is not burn-in nor is it an equivalent of it: it’s image retention and corrects itself after several minutes of a different image being displayed (not necessarily white). On an LCD screen, to my knowledge, it requires a large amount of hours of a static image, and simply turning off the display for several hours to a day (not even needing to display a new image) returns the crystals back to their relaxed state. It’s incredibly rare as it is on LCD TV/Monitors let alone a car which likely won’t have its screen on for nearly as long. There should be almost zero concern of this, and any remaining concern should be mitigated by simply turning your car off. :sun:
Like I said, it may not be a problem at all, but I've had experience with a lot of screens and have seen burn-in/image retention on enough LCD displays that weren't supposed to have it that I think it's possible, and it wasn't always easy to get rid of. If you drive in normal mode all the time, and go on long trips, I think there's some chance image retention happening, depending on the screen, etc.

Again, maybe - or likely - not, I was just saying that it was about my only concern about its long-term operation.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said, it may not be a problem at all
It isn’t. There’s no trip long enough without the screen turning off (stopping for gas) to provide enough unbroken hours of a static image that would be able to cause IR on an Matrix LCD screen.

Again, maybe - or likely - not, I was just saying that it was about my only concern about its long-term operation.
There’s no concern with modern LCD panels.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It isn’t. There’s no trip long enough without the screen turning off (stopping for gas) to provide enough unbroken hours of a static image that would be able to cause IR on an Matrix LCD screen.

There’s no concern with modern LCD panels.
I'm sorry, but I don't think absolutes are the best way to approach things. Here's an article posted 8 days ago:
https://ctouch.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005481649-LCD-technology-and-image-retention

Again, it is likely not to be an issue, but to assume it's not is perhaps a bit optimistic.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I also think there might be a slight image repositioning occurring. Sometimes the R on RPM in track mode gets slightly clipped by that stupid bezel that has no business being over a digital display panel.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry, but I don't think absolutes are the best way to approach things. Here's an article posted 8 days ago:
https://ctouch.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005481649-LCD-technology-and-image-retention

Again, it is likely not to be an issue, but to assume it's not is perhaps a bit optimistic.
2.1 Power Off / Standby
Turning off the display when not in use will help prolong the display life and minimize image retention. A few additional rules of thumb that can help preventing image retention when using a stationary pattern are as follows:

Turn the power off for 8 hours after 24 hours in use;
Turn the power off for 4 hours after 12 hours in use;

Use screensavers whenever possible;
Check regularly for image retention occurrence;
Vary the video clips you are playing as much as possible.
It sounds like that you are worried for the sole sake of being worried. It's like having a concern over the gas tank randomly igniting and the car exploding: sure, there's a chance, but that chance is so small it should not be on your mind.
As I have already stated. the number of hours needed for IR on a TFT Matrix IPS LCD/LED display is higher than a tank of gas would allow without a power cycle of a least a few minutes to get gas.
I'm very unsure why you're digging your heels in on this instead of accepting that the chance of any IR, let alone burn-in, is virtually non-existent and not a concern.

The instances you've seen are likely from...
1.) Old LCD tech that lacks pixel refresher technology
2.) A computer monitor that is never shut off and goes days-on-end with the same image and no screen saver
3.) A TV that is left on 24+ hours at a time displaying a video that does not fill the screen and/or presents a constant static image somewhere on it (ie: 24-hour news channel news-ticker).

My fiance's 8 years old M56x has an infotainment screen, which is a much less advanced LCD panel than what is being used for the Mustang's digital gauge cluster - there has never been a sign of even slight IR on it. Same goes for all 3 of my Mustangs that had/have an Infotainment screen, and also the aftermarket Pioneer infotainment screen that I installed on my 2001 GT Convertible.

What you should be concerned about, as it's more likely and has actually been reported as happening to an unlucky few, is the screen itself randomly not turning on due to some file randomly corrupting in its BIOS.

Last edited:

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It sounds like that you are worried for the sole sake of being worried. It's like having a concern over the gas tank randomly igniting and the car exploding: sure, there's a chance, but that chance is so small it should not be on your mind.
As I have already stated. the number of hours needed for IR on a TFT Matrix IPS LCD/LED display is higher than a tank of gas would allow without a power cycle of a least a few minutes to get gas.
I'm very unsure why you're digging your heels in on this instead of accepting that the chance of any IR, let alone burn-in, is virtually non-existent and not a concern.

The instances you've seen are likely from...
1.) Old LCD tech that lacks pixel refresher technology
2.) A computer monitor that is never shut off and goes days-on-end with the same image and no screen saver
3.) A TV that is left on 24+ hours at a time displaying a video that does not fill the screen and/or presents a constant static image somewhere on it (ie: 24-hour news channel news-ticker).

My fiance's 8 years old M56x has an infotainment screen, which is a much less advanced LCD panel than what is being used for the Mustang's digital gauge cluster - there has never been a sign of even slight IR on it. Same goes for all 3 of my Mustangs that had/have an Infotainment screen, and also the aftermarket Pioneer infotainment screen that I installed on my 2001 GT Convertible.

What you should be concerned about, as it's more likely and has actually been reported as happening to an unlucky few, is the screen itself randomly not turning on due to some file randomly corrupting in its BIOS.
OK

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
This may soon rival the engine braking thread.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
For me the biggest letdown is the lack of features that other companies are doing. Even a Polo can show the navigation map in the digital gauges...

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Nice things about VAGs is they get features from Audi.

But I do wish we had more options like that.

Ford also needs to keep their lawyers out of the UI design proces!
Sponsored