Some advice please.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I came from an 08 MazdaSpeed3. The ride in that was awful compared to my GT. It handled a bit better though. I find that the base suspension is PERFECT for me. I have had so many compliments on the car rides. They always comment that they didn't expect it to ride so nice and be so comfortable. I knew I was getting an auto so I never test drove a PP car. Can't compare it. I do think that for all of my commuting, the base suspension can be a little stiff sometimes. At least on some of our bumpy highways but when I'm hitting the twisties, it suites the level of speed that I'm willing to drive.

I'll add that I think it is the perfect compromise of comfort for a DD and sporty enough when I need it to be.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
It's all relative...I thought the GT PP was fairly smooth...having come from my Tacoma which beats me to death. On the other hand, a friend of mine rented a V6 Mustang for a short trip recently and thought it rode a bit rough...but he drives a beater Echo daily.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I actually feel that the PP GT controls most bumps better than the base GT. You feel more of the road, but I didn't find it harsh.

I got a base non-PP GT for a few important reasons. That said, there is a significant part of me that wishes I got the PP because I do autocross a few times a year and will eventually do some track days.

My reasons:
1. I did not want to HAVE TO have 19" wheels for winter tires - they are very, very expensive.
2. 3.31 gears is very good for DD and gets better fuel economy (I've been very surprised to find out that I get 28+ on the highway @ 75 mph)
3. A base GT is a steal from a value proposition

My suggestion, based on your wants is to get a non-PP and add a few of the PP components later-on that improve the driving experience. I've added the K-brace and strut tower bar, as well as the rear sway bar from the PP. The ride is just like stock but the extra front-end bracing improves front-end response and feel noticeably. The rear bar improves the overall handling balance.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I have a base GT. When I first got it I thought it was actually a bit too soft for a sports car. My Turbo Veloster that I came from was a harsher ride then the GT, and that was an econo car for the most part. I loved the ride tho, nice and smooth. Now I am on BMR lowering springs and to me the ride is perfect. A bit harsher then the stock GT springs, but to me feels like a sports car now. I didn't like how smooth the base GT was. But everyone is going to be different. Some people coming from cars like the 350/370z mentioned would probably find my car too soft, and others coming from a town car would find it way too hard. You really do need to take them both for a test drive.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I came from an 08 MazdaSpeed3. The ride in that was awful compared to my GT. It handled a bit better though. I find that the base suspension is PERFECT for me. I have had so many compliments on the car rides. They always comment that they didn't expect it to ride so nice and be so comfortable. I knew I was getting an auto so I never test drove a PP car. Can't compare it. I do think that for all of my commuting, the base suspension can be a little stiff sometimes. At least on some of our bumpy highways but when I'm hitting the twisties, it suites the level of speed that I'm willing to drive.

I'll add that I think it is the perfect compromise of comfort for a DD and sporty enough when I need it to be.
I should have also mentioned that I have the factory 20s with the summer tires so that makes a difference as well. I would bet that if I had a base with smaller wheels and more tire sidewall I would think that it's too soft.

Keep the wheel and tire selection in mind as well.

Sponsored

paul1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a similar story to a lot of people here - i drove 6 - 8 different mustangs before i finally settled on my car - a non PP GT. i did drive a PP GT ( as i really wanted the PP brakes / gauges ) and tried to convince myself to buy it. But i also had the issue with the stiff ride and "clicking" of the Torsen diff. that i decided as a DD I did not want to live with. In the end i am very happy with my decision, but i did end up buying a FRPP strut tower brace!

The point is you just need to drive both vehicles back to back and decide what is important to you.

David_V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I test drove both over smooth and rough roads. To me the non-pp felt to soft and wanted to float over bumps. This made the car feel more like a couple then a sports car. I preferred the stiffer setup of the PP and the brembo brakes are just outstanding.

Like everyone said only you can decide what is to hard or soft of a ride for you. Take an extended drive with both and see how you feel.

OP
OP

rbarbieri_74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Focus ST
Thanks everyone for the feedback I'm heading over to a dealer today and I'm going to ask to test a 400a GT and see what I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
I test drove both over smooth and rough roads. To me the non-pp felt to soft and wanted to float over bumps. This made the car feel more like a couple then a sports car. I preferred the stiffer setup of the PP and the brembo brakes are just outstanding.

Like everyone said only you can decide what is to hard or soft of a ride for you. Take an extended drive with both and see how you feel.
Totally agree. The PP setup is ideal IMO.

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
I came from a 2013 Focus ST into an automatic (obviously non-PP) GT so I can give you a pretty good perspective. I commute about an hour each way for work and my ST was and GT is my daily driver. I find the GT to be a smoother ride on smaller bumps, but on larger bumps (say railroad tracks) the GT is a more jarring. I'm not sure what the springs are but if they are progressive this would make sense.

Tires have a lot to do with the ride too. The ST's Eagle F1's were a tad firmer than the Conti DWS tires that I used in the winter (same size and aspect ratio). I think the P-Zero Nero's on the GT are good compromise between comfort, handling, grip, noise and (hopefully) wear. Usually you have to give up some aspects to gain in others.

The GT is MUCH quieter than the ST in terms or road noise. The cabin is more relaxing - I have not modded the exhaust and actually plan on not changing it. The stock exhause is perfect for me - a bit rumbly on startup and I can hear it just fine when stepping on it. I can hear my music at a lower level without having to constantly crank it up. Haven driven a 2002 GT with Bassani O/R and Magnaflows for 10 years, I am happy for a more balanced sounding car. It is less tiring for me on the long commute.

I believe the ST to be a better handling car - turn in was immediate and the steering ratio quicker - miss that of the ST. The speed of the GT compensates and then some over that however. The GT seems to have a bit more body roll than the ST, but it is very manageable. I'm talking stock to stock here as neither of car were modified in any way.

OP
OP

rbarbieri_74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Focus ST
Well I test drove both a GT pp 400a and a GT auto 400a and really I enjoyed the relaxed ride of the auto[emoji6] having a chance to drive both back to back like that was a good suggestion thanks everyone. Now I just need to hammer out a deal that works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored