Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
I got some black Gorilla 61148BCX lug nuts, and I don't want to mar up the surface of them with the wrong kind of socket. Can I use a standard socket, or will that rub the black coating off? Thanks, in advance.
Sponsored

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you tighten by hand tools and use a 6 point socket, that will help extend the life of the black finish. I bought Gorilla where each lug nut was a locking one. Only the splined portion gets used when tightening.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Something like these https://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=2676 are the best way to remove lug nuts. Use a Gorilla Wrench to loosen the nuts and then a portable impact to remove them.

The price of the sockets vary. Amazon has a set for under $20 and many auto parts/hardware stores carry them.

OP
OP
Canoman

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
If you tighten by hand tools and use a 6 point socket, that will help extend the life of the black finish. I bought Gorilla where each lug nut was a locking one. Only the splined portion gets used when tightening.
I have 4 of the locking ones and the rest are non-locking Gorillas, and always use hand tools. Only time I reach for an impact is if the breaker bar is bending and something still isn't coming loose.

Something like these https://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=2676 are the best way to remove lug nuts. Use a Gorilla Wrench to loosen the nuts and then a portable impact to remove them.

The price of the sockets vary. Amazon has a set for under $20 and many auto parts/hardware stores carry them.
That's the type of thing I was thinking about, but the plastic sleeve is on the outside to protect the rims. It looks like the inside is anodized, which wouldn't protect the lug nut finish anymore than a regular 6-pt socket.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That's the type of thing I was thinking about, but the plastic sleeve is on the outside to protect the rims. It looks like the inside is anodized, which wouldn't protect the lug nut finish anymore than a regular 6-pt socket.
Are you sure? There is definitely something on the outside in the picture but it says the protection is an INSERT making me think its not just on the outside.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canoman

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure? There is definitely something on the outside in the picture but it says the protection is an INSERT making me think its not just on the outside.
No, not 100% sure. Missed the part about the inside. I'll give those a good look. Thanks!

OP
OP
Canoman

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a similar set on Amazon that shows an insert inside, if you scroll through the pictures.

Titan Tools 21095 1/2" Drive Non-Marring Lug Nut Socket Set (4 Piece) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAEF0U5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZjSACb7B107K1

It would protect the end of the lugnut but still looks like where the socket contacts the nut, it’s metal.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The surface finish on the Gorilla brand lug nuts is pretty darn robust. Use whatever socket fits in your wheel lug hole, and don't worry about the lug nut finish. I have probably 40 wheel changes on mine with only very minor finish issues.

Sockets with the rubber sleeve are nice... but that sleeve adds some to the diameter so they may not fit in a tight lug nut hole.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
If the socket is snug on the lug, especially if the socket has a brass liner.
Sponsored