Showstopper Wear & Tear?

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I'm looking at a car that has all the options I want, plus a few that I don't - one of them being a Showstopper Red interior. Ideally, I'd get a Ceramic interior, and if I end up ordering the car that's probably how I'll go. However, I'm not totally opposed to the red, even if it feels kinda pimpy on a white car. The deal-killer for me would be if the red leather has durability issues. It seems like the leather seats in most of the new cars I've dealt with are pretty decent with a little care, but I have seen plenty of intense-color leather seats that don't last.

Since I'm probably going to be driving this car for 10+ years, I'd like to know if anyone is seeing any issues with SSR in particular, or any of the other colors in general.

Thanks in advance!

Clair
Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Ceramic would but just as high maintenance of not more. You constantly have to deal with dye transfer from jeans to the ceramic seats.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I have a 15 with the redline interior as my DD that I purchased in April 2015. The leather has held up very well through summers and winters. The only thing I have noticed is the red color seems to darken over time. Maybe its my imagination but it just doesn't seem to "pop" like it did when new. I still love it with the magnetic exterior though.

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
Ceramic would but just as high maintenance of not more. You constantly have to deal with dye transfer from jeans to the ceramic seats.
I have ceramic seats on mine, and I daily drive it. There was some noticeable dye transfer the first month or two, but it would easily buff out with a little leather/vinyl cleaner. I'm not sure if it is a factor coating or what, but after the first 6 months or so I stopped seeing it almost entirely. I'm 2.5 years in, and the seats look great!

The only area that shows a little is the seam on the left edge of the drivers side seat. I assume that is the part that gets the most abuse from me getting in and out of the car. That said, it barely shows. I've been a bit obsessive with keeping the car looking new (it was my first new car and Mustang).

Will it be more maintenance than black leather? Sure, but hasn't been the maintenance nightmare than many assume it will be. I think the fact that it isn't real leather helps with the maintenance aspect. I clean mine every 3 months or so. They add a lot of cool contrast in the interior, and I love them! The red interior looks awesome as well. I was seriously considering that option when I bought, but I wanted a blue exterior. The Superman color combo wasn't easy to find, and I think the white and blue is a bit more classic.

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Thanks, guys,
I hadn't really thought about the dye transfer aspect, but it sounds like that might be manageable. Sounds like I need to verify pricing and schedule of an ordered car and see if I can live with the delta. I'm not getting the active exhaust on the EBPP, but the BLIS and Safe/Smart have been broken up a bit between 18 and 19 and that could affect price.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
It’s worth noting that you cannot get ceramic with a 301a/401a packaged 2018/2019 Mustang. The premium trims are Ebony, Showstopper Red, or Midnight Blue. If you want Ceramic you’d be limited to 300a/400a which means thinner vinyl-esq leather, no soft-touch trim or stitching around the center console, no heated steering wheel, no digital gauge cluster, etc.

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Yeah, I’m not too happy about the limitations of ceramic to the lower level “premium “ packages. I can live without pretty much any of the 201/301 content and I’m willing to argue over paying for something I wouldn’t otherwise order if I can get a better price. I just don’t want to argue and pay more for a liability down the road...

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Yea, I'm not a huge fan of black leather, mostly because of the heat factor. I wish Ford would allow brown/saddle and ceramic/beige-natural on all color/trim combinations. Redline looks good with some color combinations but kind of clashes with others. I really wish they had a lighter option for 401A. Basically it's either black with different color stitching or red-line.

On the bright side, if you just go with 400A premium there are more allowed color combinations for the 2019 than before.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
All the leather, and pleather these days come with a type of protective clear coating. So, with a little upkeep the colors don't fade, or transfer. Most manufacturers recommend soap, and water to clean the seats. I have a two year old plastic car with red interior, and the color is as good today as when it was bought. The wife's previous '13 GT has the stone interior (that looks a bit darker than the ceramic), and the major area I had to keep clean was the outside seat bottom bolsters. They showed the dirt quicker, but with a little soap/water and some elbow grease they looked good again. I've never encountered any color transfer from jeans on either color.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i have the white with the red interior.. i also was unsure at first. but now i love it

Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have the redline interior and it has held up well. I usually clean the seats every 2-3 months to remove jean dye transfer with a leather cleaner, then finish with a leather protectant/moisturizer (currently Autoglym). IMO, they still look near-new 3 years later.

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Great.... I think I’m not going to worry much about any big problems with the material and trust that whatever I end up with will do fine. If I end up with the red, I’ll post pics...
Sponsored