Shift stop feature for MT-82 shifters

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Does anyone know why the aftermarket shifter companies haven’t incorporated a shift stop of some sort into their shifters to prevent bending/breaking shift forks?
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Can't do that. The tranny has physical stops once the gears are engaged, so they don't go beyond that point. But can't put a stop before that, or gears would never engage. The problem is gears are hard to engage at high rpm, but it's more complicated than it seems. It could be many things, or a combination of them, like clutch not fully releasing, crappy synchros, etc. And yes, the forks could be stronger, but you don't want them super strong. I think it's better if a fork fails, than the alternative, but I'm not familiar with the innards of our tranny, to be honest, so will let an MT-82 (D4) expert chime in with a more technical explanation. All I can tell you is 2019+ MT-82 D4s have upgraded forks, but I don't know if they're as strong as they need to be, or still not. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but consider this a bump :).

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That sheds a little light on the subject for me Elp_jc, thanks! I was just thinking back to the earlier Mustang shifters that I had installed on my previous Mustangs with T-45 transmissions. I‘ve missed that nice safety feature upon stepping into the S197 and S550 platforms.

Any idea what the billet shift stop is that Ben Calimer adds to his transmission builds?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not familiar with his mods, but all I know is he doesn't work on the newer D4 trannies, like yours. I remember reading about the improvements suggested for our D4 trannies, and they were just to fully weld the forks (they're robust enough in 2019 trannies, but still just tack welded, rather than full welds), and replace the few plastic parts with metal ones. But I'm sure some NVH would be added, so if you're not going to abuse the tranny with quick shifts, no need for that at all. Search for that YT video; it was nice to see the parts, not just getting described :). When you really need to upgrade the tranny is if you're adding more power, or plan on abusing it.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I am definitely adding more power with the 150 hp shot of nitrous. That’ll be the most I’ll spray. I do plan on making some hits at the drag strip, so I could benefit from some tranny improvements. It sure would be nice if the D4 could be made to handle a significant amount of power/torque.
Sponsored