Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Shelby GT350R-C Road Atlanta-2.jpg

Shelby GT350R-C Road Atlanta-1.jpg

Third Win in a Row for Shelby GT350R-C as Multimatic Motorsports Wins Thriller at Road America

• Co-drivers Billy Johnson and Scott Maxwell drove to winners’ circle for fourth time this season to defend championship points lead

• Driver Paul Holton uninjured in heavy crash after the green flag
ELKHART LAKE, Wisc., Aug. 6, 2016 – Multimatic Motorsports’ Billy Johnson and Scott Maxwell stood on the top step of the winners’ podium for the fourth time this season and the third time in a row after winning the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge race at Road America.

In the closing laps of the race, just when it looked like they’d have to settle for p2, the leader ran out of fuel on the final lap and Johnson, who closed out the race after Maxwell started on the pole, was there to pounce. It was Johnson’s first career win at Road America.

“I left the decision to push and conserve and all of that to the team,” Johnson said. “I was just doing as I was told, and that was to go as fast as I can. Then I was getting a little nervous when I saw cars running out of fuel, pitting and pitting earlier than us, but the Multimatic Ford team had the strategy down and had everything figured out. Kudos to the team for having a great strategy and making us do what we needed to do to be in position to win.”

This is the seventh podium of the year for the Ford Shelby GT350R-C, between Multimatic and the No. 76 AERO Advanced Paint Technology/Children’s Tumor Foundation Ford Shelby GT350R-C fielded by C360 Racing and drivers Paul Holton and Pierre Kleinubing. Holton and Kleinubing’s day ended early after heavy contact left the No. 76 on its side in Turn 12 soon after the green flag. Holton was uninjured.

“The Ford Shelby GT350R-C is just a fantastic car,” Johnson said. “I love driving it. Both Scott and I worked on the development on the street and race car and we’re both very privileged to be racing it. It’s a hell of a race car and pretty good at drifting, too.”

On Friday, Maxwell earned his 14th-career pole, a record in the series. Johnson and Maxwell leave Road America having extended their points lead 228 to 205 in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge points.

“Every win is important, but now that we’re into the second half of the year and the championship is narrowed down to two or three cars, this is a really big win,” Maxwell said. “Our objective, really, today, was just to be ahead of the Miller car (second in points). Even towards the end, when we were running second with Billy and Miller in third, I thought it was a pretty good day, but at the end it all switched around when the leader ran out of fuel. It’s a fantastic day for us winning the points day, then winning here. Road America is one of my favorite tracks and I haven’t won here in about 15 years, so it’s a good feeling.”

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...helby-gt350r-c-as-multimatic-motorsports.html
Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Looking for the whole race on youtube or elsewhere - this and the victory at Lime Rock last weekend!

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad it's doing good. I just wish there was a race series that required "production only" cars with the only authorized changes are standard "safety" equipment.

Who cares if one manufacturer builds a better car, don't restrict it for competition reasons. Hopefully the other manufactures will build a better car to sell.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The GT350 can't be stopped. It is difficult to balance the saved shifts advantage the GT350 has (and Boxer Porsches). This was a pretty big discussion back in the day and I knew the huge air restrictions wouldn't be enough.

It is sooooooo difficult to beat a car that shifts less due to both human error and mechanical advantage. If the GT350 begins to shave weight down to 3500lbs, man... I'm not sure anything currently in class that could manage.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
This continental race series used to have over 35 cars in the GS class @ every event. BMW,Camaro,Nissan, Porsche and mustang plus others. Now it's just mustang and porches and maybe 8 cars show up. It's really taken a turn for the worst race series around. I wish Ford would enter the Shelby in the GTD class and race with the big boys. That would compliment the Ford GT in the GTLM series. Come on Ford listen up. I'm sending an email to Multimatic race team as a long time fan.
When you watch a continental race 75% of the race are focused on the ST cars which are boring as hell. Those 35 ST cars running around are basically chick cars.

Last edited:

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I too would love to see them build a GT3 version of the Shelby GT350R for GTD, but I'm hoping that they at least build a GT4 version to run in CTSC, Europe and Asia. A Focus RS for TCR, the replacement for ST class would be awesome too.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
No need for the Mustang teams to jump to another series. Next year this series could have 35-40 cars running in it. Racing has its ups and downs.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
No need for the Mustang teams to jump to another series. Next year this series could have 35-40 cars running in it. Racing has its ups and downs.
Let's hope you are right. We shall see what happens @ Daytona next Jan

Sponsored

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking a GT3 Shelby GT350R would be racing all over the world if Ford would do it. I hate relying on Ford factory teams to have cars to root for and would love to see the Shelby in WC also where they are still running last generation Boss 302s.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
When you watch a continental race 75% of the race are focused on the ST cars which are boring as hell. Those 35 ST cars running around are basically chick cars.
Spoken like someone who's never held a racing license. The racing in ST has been very competitive this year and last year, with significant manufacturer participation. The size of the class should be enough to tell you that the ST series is a success, where GS is not. In fact, IMSA has revised the rules for 2017-2018 to try to entice more of those big, burly he-man cars to race in GS, which it doesn't need to do in ST; the GT 350R-C will have to be all-new as a GT4 car. And wait until you see the TCR cars, which will be a new, third class - you'll really hate those, but the racing is excellent.
------------------------------
From IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge

Beginning in 2017, IMSA will allow race cars from mainstream automotive manufacturers homologated as GT4 cars by the Stephane Ratel Organization (SRO) to compete in the series’ top Grand Sport (GS) class alongside select “grandfathered” vehicles built to IMSA GS technical regulations that currently are eligible and participating in 2016. IMSA was pleased to establish a cooperation agreement with SRO to accomplish this goal together regarding the GT4 platform.

At the start of the 2018 season, all GS category cars will be built and strictly adhere to GT4 technical regulations with the requirement that they are from a mainstream automotive manufacturer. A number of manufacturers are currently developing new GT4 race cars that will roll out gradually before the start of 2018.

In the Street Tuner (ST) class, all cars currently competing will be eligible to continue racing in ST through the end of the 2018 season.

IMSA also is currently in discussions with Mr. Marcello Lotti, CEO of Touring Car Racing (TCR) International Series, regarding a cooperation agreement for TCR-homologated cars which have consumer brand relevance in the North American market. The concept being developed would be to initially establish an additional class within the Continental Tire Challenge beginning as early as 2018.

MisterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'13 Taurus SHO & '16 GT350R
With the changes to next years schedule, let's hope some players return. Looking forward to seeing the Shelby in an endurance race. Already have my RV spot reserved at Daytona for it.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Jarstang - In the future it would be awesome if you didn't post the race results in the thread title for those of us waiting to watch the race on a DVR.

The car looks awesome. It is a shame the class is on life support. Need Camaros and the like to make it more like Australian V8 super cars - that's the right formula!

David Hobbs' grandson on TV too . . . Wonder how he'll do . . . ?