Sponsored

Sensor failings. You could have one too!

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Ok, so who has access to and can post here what the actual Ford written procedure is in determining when or if that sensor is considered bad or faulty?

I don’t care who posted what on Facebook or other forum outlets as to supposed parameters of a bad vs. good sensor, as I have yet to see actual Ford diagnosis procedures.

I mean, there has to be some type of parameters in the genuine Ford Shop Manual that outlines how to test that sensor, as I’m sure a Dealership Tech isn’t going to throw parts until he hits that one and gets the “lightbulb” that THAT was the faulty part.... nor is he going to google Facebook posts... well... some Dealerships might... LOL

The “pinhole” in the design must have a purpose - maybe back pressure relief of sorts as some said, but we need to confirm exactly what purpose does that “pinhole” serve on the revision? IMO, I don’t think it is a weep hole; I don’t think weeping fuel over the top of the engine would be something Ford’s Legal Team would agree with due to liability reasons...LOL!

i thought the pin hole is a vacuum release port so prevent back pressure from forming when in test mode.. in order to read this form of sensor there has to complete flow no impediment what so ever! to get accurate voltage through the resistor, 5v pure flow, and something like 1v low , and block flow 0v percentage in between like using 100 pure flow and 0 no flow..

going to have to buy one test on my rig..
Sponsored

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
:ford:Funny, I found something from Blue Spring Ford about testing a fuel pressure sensor.

"The problem may be in the fuel pressure sensor, which can be checked by using your wiring diagram and DVOM."

There is not enough information from this website though to troubleshoot proficiently without referring back to the service manual.

https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/blog/dtc-decoded-p0087

Note: A DVOM is a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter....

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
[MENTION=21778]jrock[/MENTION] that's it ...easy enough procedure to follow to determine if the sensor is bad .
By using the ohms setting 1 could get a affirmation that the sensor has too much resistance which happens ... Now if there is a person that has the technical specs to draw upon . Specifically the range of the given resistance the sensor is functioning properly ...with in specification ......

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Work Order for Failing Sensor

I was right!!! Ford did change that part out and charged me for it. I am going to call Corporate to get a refund. If this was an official recall then I should get reimbursed. Attached the work order for the issue I had and paid for due to out of warranty. Anyone have the direct link for the official recall?
WorkOrder-FailingSensor.jpg

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I was right!!! Ford did change that part out and charged me for it. I am going to call Corporate to get a refund. If this was an official recall then I should get reimbursed. Attached the work order for the issue I had and paid for due to out of warranty. Anyone have the direct link for the official recall?
The recall only affected a very small number of MY2015 cars. When I looked, it was something like cars built in a 2 week period in late 2014.

My 2015 that I picked up in 2014 was not even part of the recall.

Sponsored

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The recall only affected a very small number of MY2015 cars. When I looked, it was something like cars built in a 2 week period in late 2014.

My 2015 that I picked up in 2014 was not even part of the recall.
When this part was replaced it was due to a rough idle issue I was having. It is just a coincidence that it was the same part discussed here and I have a 2016 model. I think Ford is hiding something or just charging for something that is defective to start with!

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
When this part was replaced it was due to a rough idle issue I was having. It is just a coincidence that it was the same part discussed here and I have a 2016 model. I think Ford is hiding something or just charging for something that is defective to start with!
The recall was due to a fuel leak, not a rough idle.

Honestly, the recall has absolutely fuck-all to do with this sensors potential issues and should have never been mentioned.

Recall Notice said:
What is the issue?
On your vehicle, the fuel pressure sensor in the fuel supply tube assembly may not have been installed correctly, which may cause a pressurized fuel leak. In the proximity of a hot surface that might be a potential ignition source, a fuel leak may result in a fire.

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=10786]smdandb2[/MENTION] precisely... The Ford Adviser had asked me at the time if I always fill up my tank all the way or fill up half way. So the rough idle issue I had was pin pointed at that sensor and vapour hose. Once those parts were replaced, the rough idle was gone. So if you say the recall was due to a "leak", that crap was directly correlated to my rough idle somehow.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
So if you say the recall was due to a "leak", that crap was directly correlated to my rough idle somehow.
smdandb2 didn't say it, he posted an excerpt from the recall notice itself. It's entirely possible that Ford issued a recall for a potential fuel leak on early Ecoboost Mustangs AND your car suffered the failure of a component mentioned in the recall. The mention had to do with improper installation, not a faulty part.

We have become a nation of conspiracy theorists...

Last edited:

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
QUOTE=BoosTang23T;2194818]So if you say the recall was due to a "leak", that crap was directly correlated to my rough idle somehow.
smdandb2 didn't say it, he posted an excerpt from the recall notice itself. It's entirely possible that Ford issued a recall for a potential fuel leak on early Ecoboost Mustangs AND your car suffered the failure of a component mentioned in the recall. The mention had to do with improper installation, not a faulty part.

We have become a nation of conspiracy theorists...[/QUOTE]
Thanks for clarifying, my apologies!

Sponsored

wizdumb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Turbo
For those of us who don't have a shop manual,

does anyone have a depressurization procedure for the high pressure fuel rail? I know that the HPFP is mechanically actuated, and the LPFP is most likely electronic...

Also, torque specs for the sensor would be appreciated.
Couldn't find the torque specs but looked up the procedure.
fuel pressure release.jpg

Last edited:

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went ahead and did a video of what Adam recommended to identify a bad sensor. Hope this helps clarify what he wrote on FB...

[ame]

Ronstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium
BoosTang23T,

cant see the embedded video, can you provide a link to it as well?

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
kind of interesting I have a 2015, and when I checked the sensor I already had the rev B sensor on my car! So either it was changed before I owned it or not all 2015's came with the rev C
Sponsored