• ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are REQUIRED to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Selling gt350, building race car.

OP
OP

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
If you already tracked you GT350 and want a track car, why not keep the GT350 and just get a cheaper daily driver?
I see your points and reasons and I'm not trying to judge or talk you out of your plan. Just curious.
I have done a lot of mods to my track pack and come spring time I'll be burning up the track when business allows me time away. I'm sure you know all the mods I've done and I know for a fact no R would come close to touching me in the hands of an equal driver.
I also dropped 200 pounds from the car with wheels, tires, seats, driveshaft, exhaust, rear seat delete, battery.
Mainly cost really(and my wife lol). In a perfect world I'd turn the 350 into a race car, but like I said before if an incident were to happen on track, I'm not willing to take that gamble on a $60k car, especially if I spend another $10-20k on track prep for racing. If it were just hpde I'd do just like you, but I do plan on wheel to wheel racing in the next few years.
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I hope you have a blast Joe and be safe out there! Good luck on your sale!

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
If you already tracked you GT350 and want a track car, why not keep the GT350 and just get a cheaper daily driver?
I see your points and reasons and I'm not trying to judge or talk you out of your plan. Just curious.
I have done a lot of mods to my track pack and come spring time I'll be burning up the track when business allows me time away. I'm sure you know all the mods I've done and I know for a fact no R would come close to touching me in the hands of an equal driver.
I also dropped 200 pounds from the car with wheels, tires, seats, driveshaft, exhaust, rear seat delete, battery.

My exact thoughts.... Not trying to tell you what to do in any way, shape, or form but after doing the Track Attack program, if I wanted a race car and was willing to spend 40k to build it (which in my case would become 50k) I would just gut and mod my 350. In you're case having a Track Pack and extra wheels and tires your almost there. Rip out the trunk interior, the rear seats, and whatever else you don't want in it, lighten it up like VooDooo did, and...............Race Car! Buy yourself a cheap used car for the daily commute and you could still drive the Shelby on occasion if you wanted. I'm sure you've thought about this, and again non of my business, but the Gt350 Track Pack is a race car just as it comes....you wouldn't have to spend a penny other than a cage and harness. As far as tearing it up goes..... Track insurance.

OP
OP

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
My exact thoughts.... Not trying to tell you what to do in any way, shape, or form but after doing the Track Attack program, if I wanted a race car and was willing to spend 40k to build it (which in my case would become 50k) I would just gut and mod my 350. In you're case having a Track Pack and extra wheels and tires your almost there. Rip out the trunk interior, the rear seats, and whatever else you don't want in it, lighten it up like VooDooo did, and...............Race Car! Buy yourself a cheap used car for the daily commute and you could still drive the Shelby on occasion if you wanted. I'm sure you've thought about this, and again non of my business, but the Gt350 Track Pack is a race car just as it comes....you wouldn't have to spend a penny other than a cage and harness. As far as tearing it up goes..... Track insurance.
I'm with, you, the gt350 is a great platform to start with, but to get it competition ready would cost $10- $15k. Which puts it around $70k total, if something were to happen, I'm not willing to take that gamble. In regards to track insurance, for 1 it's expensive, it costs almost as much as a track day, for 2 it covers HPDE only, there's no insurance for wheel to wheel racing, which is the end goal here, like I've said.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm with, you, the gt350 is a great platform to start with, but to get it competition ready would cost $10- $15k. Which puts it around $70k total, if something were to happen, I'm not willing to take that gamble. In regards to track insurance, for 1 it's expensive, it costs almost as much as a track day, for 2 it covers HPDE only, there's no insurance for wheel to wheel racing, which is the end goal here, like I've said.
I gotcha, well good luck with the sale. Keep us posted on what you end up getting if you don't mind. Love to see the new project. Also I would be interested to know what your 350 brings.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I think if you want to HPDE building a track car is overkill and with time and blood invested wont be that much cheaper the the GT350.

If you want to do open wheel to wheel based on what "seems" to be your budget id go with a far cheaper car (5 - 10k). Miata spec etc. Something you can crash and rebuild(replace) on the cheap. Wheel to Wheel a 40k car doesnt seem realistic unless you have alot of spare cash to spend.

Just my opinion for what its worth(very little)

In any case building a race car sounds like fun.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
No you didnt miss it, For now just hpde and time trial/time attack. I plan on racing with scca in a few years time, but as of now I'm not building the car for a specific class. I plan to do all the safety equipment and set the chassis up(suspension, wheels, brakes, etc) and get significant seat time 1st, and when the time comes I'll adjust power output as needed to fit a specific class and be competitive. Scca has plenty of classes available so that's not really a concern.
Unfortunately, your car will not class anywhere in SCCA road racing except maybe SPO or GT1 which are purpose built (think NASCAR or NASCAR but more exotic, respectively). Even AS requires carbs.

It may class somewhere in NASA. They have something for everyone.

It will make for one hell of a track day (HDPE/TT) car though. Unless I decide to get back into SCCA road racing (like building a decent SPO for less than $40k out of a NOS NASCAR roller and a crate engine) or I trade up to something like a ZO6, my GT will end up doing easy laps around Road Atlanta, CMP, AMP or Barber.

I'll never race a production based car again. From now on in only tube frames and fiberglass for this guy.
Sponsored