Sponsored

Seating Distance in a MT Car

sjanjua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP White
So I just picked up my new 2015 Mustang GT yesterday and it's the first manual transmission car I've ever owned. I've been practicing a ton since the moment I got it and I'm definitely getting better, but I still had a question. How close do you guys sit to the steering wheel? Compared to my old car, I'm very close to it only because it allows me to press the clutch in all the way comfortably. I'm 5'11" if that gives some perspective. Just curious if everyone else is similar to me or if I'm sitting incorrectly?
Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
So I just picked up my new 2015 Mustang GT yesterday and it's the first manual transmission car I've ever owned. I've been practicing a ton since the moment I got it and I'm definitely getting better, but I still had a question. How close do you guys sit to the steering wheel? Compared to my old car, I'm very close to it only because it allows me to press the clutch in all the way comfortably. I'm 5'11" if that gives some perspective. Just curious if everyone else is similar to me or if I'm sitting incorrectly?
Find your best leg reach to work clutch, then use the steering wheels telescoping/tilt feature..

OP
OP

sjanjua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP White
I've adjusted the steering wheel all the way back and tilted slightly up. My wrist sits on it comfortably

pigdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium 6MT MM/Saddle
Remember you can adjust the steering wheel (in, out, up, down) to balance for leg length and arm length and personal preference. That's a great addition.

Sponsored

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful ´15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
When your left foot presses the clutch, your leg should still be slightly bent, not totally stretched, so you can safely and strongly push it; and when your hands are 10.10 on the wheel, arms should be slightly bent too, so you can handle it comfortably and safely (but that isnt any different from the auto part.

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
I have that same problem man, I'm looking to buy that clutch pedal extension. I'm 5'9, not too short and I sit way to close to the steering wheel and my feel always hit under the dash.

Br725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Prem/PP/ruby red/premier int.
I ride with the front of my seat bottom angled all the way up and I decline the seat a pretty good amount. I'm 5'11, and it's comfortable for me, I don't have any issues with the steering wheel or anything. I just wish the center console was about 3 inches higher for my right arm.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I feel when I have everything adjusted for steering wheel and gas/break pedals that my clutch leg has to be stretched out further and is almost uncomfortable! I am 6'-1"
I only depress the clutch 100% when starting it, while shifting I only depress about 90-95%. I'm not sure if I should be doing that but it seems to have not affect on shifting.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I always set seat position to my left leg and adjust everything else around that. Some cars are easier than others though.

Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
For some reason i always sit close to the steering. Even with an automatic vehicle i sit close but recline my seat back a little bit so i don't sit too close to the airbag. I hate to stretch my leg out to press any of the pedals; i like to rest my heel on the floor and pivot between gas and brake.

That being said, i move my seat closely to where i can push the clutch all the way in and still have some bend to my knee, and i push the wheel in all the way so i don't have to recline my seat. Still pivot between gas and brake. Im 5'6 and its a little harder for us short people.

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
I drove my car for a couple days without any problems before I signed the papers. So I signed the papers and started driving home... made it a few miles and my left knee started hurting. Ruh roh! Did I just make a big mistake?

Well, luckily I was able to move the seat 2-3" forward, so my knee wasn't fully extending, and my knee is fine with that. But that means trying to squeeze my ass between the steering wheel and Recaros doesn't really work - I have to slide the seat back for ingress/egress. Oh well, this car is worth it! I just need to install a "stop" in the seat rail so I get the right position every time.

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Telescope the steering wheel all the way out. Then I back up my seat as far as I can while still shifting smoothly. I find that the most comfortable. Being too close is harder on legs. Everyone has to find their perfect setup with body types being so different. But most important is that extending your arms out forward, your steering wheel should be at a distance of your wrists is not a tad closer. This allows best operation. Ht:6'

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I am not a shorty at 6'1" , and I have driven manuals since 1973. When I set the seat to clutch properly, I felt like I was to close to the dash. I was able to keep the steering wheel all the way towards the dash, but I felt I was still to close. When I went to get out of the car, I was always kicking the door panel and having to squeeze out of my Recaros. I bought the pedal extender. I was able to fully depress the clutch pedal and it really put me in a more comfortable driving position. I no longer kick the door panels or have to squeeze out of my Recaros to get out of the car. Stupid little plastic extender made abig difference.

Ingot2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
Who makes that pedal extender? Im having the same problem you did.
Sponsored