Sponsored

searching for a new car. need opinions....odd list

ianwelch001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota avalon
Currently I have a 2004 Toyota avalon. It has 176000 miles and still runs like a champ. I'm looking for a new car around $40k. I'm looking for autos only, I have my zx6r if I feel like shifting through gears. My list currently consists of about 5 cars. All different classes and I'm just curious of everyone's opinion of their s550 mustang. I live in western ny so winters can get pretty harsh. I would like to only have 1 car so if anyone has DD their mustang in snow let me know how well that works. My 5 cars are

2016 mustang gt premium
2016 nissan maxima
2015 dodge charger r/t
2015 acura tlx v6 AWD

As you can see I have an array of different class cars on my list. I'm 26 years old with a girlfriend and no kids. So coupe or sedan works for me. Obviously the fwd and AWD cars would work better in the snow.

Thanks for the input
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I had 2 maximas. 2007 and 2011. Both fully loaded with all options. Great cars. Good looking car. Nice room in them. I really loved my 2011. Had zero problems with both cars. Owned each car for almost 4 years each. Not one trip into service for any issue. All I did was change the oil.

I would add a SHO Taurus onto your list. I really like those cars.

I love my Mustang GTPP. Cannot imagine owning another car, even with adding another 20-25k to the purchase price (BMW M3/M4).

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Subaru legacy
Toyota camry,
Ford taurus
Honda accord
Mazda 6

While I love mustangs, performance doesn't seem something you're super interested in. I could be wrong. For rwd cars a set of winter tires is really the best way to get around. You'd do a far bit of sliding around with all seasons.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I live in Michigan and have driven RWD vehicles my entire dirving career (I'm 25 now, started when I was 16). As long as you have snow tires, you're honestly fine. Some people buy a beater for ~1500 bucks, but, is it worth risking being stranded in the middle of nowhere because you didn't want to get your car dirty? I don't think so.

You said "5 cars" but listed 4 lol. Are you thinking you'll have kids within 5 years? If yes, you may want to look at one of the 4 door options. The Mustang can be flexible with younger kids, but would make things a little bit more difficult than necessary. Between the ones you listed, I'd say the Maxima or Acura if you're thinking you'll want kids. Charger would be if you're unsure. Mustang if you don't want any.

Also, look at a Focus RS as another 4 door option, or a Chevy SS.

OP
OP

ianwelch001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota avalon
I would love a sho but the body style has been around forever. I'm not looking for an all out performance. I want something with presence. I have a bike that would out perform most cars lol. But I want something sporty and something not everyone has.

Syracuse315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I live in Michigan and have driven RWD vehicles my entire dirving career (I'm 25 now, started when I was 16). As long as you have snow tires, you're honestly fine. Some people buy a beater for ~1500 bucks, but, is it worth risking being stranded in the middle of nowhere because you didn't want to get your car dirty? I don't think so.
Same logic I used while DD'ing a 2000 GT with Michelin Xi-3 winter tires in Oswego, NY for a few years. It's doable, just practice in those empty parking lots at the start of each winter.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I would love a sho but the body style has been around forever. I'm not looking for an all out performance. I want something with presence. I have a bike that would out perform most cars lol. But I want something sporty and something not everyone has.
The legacy turbo is sporty feeling. The mazda 6 v6 isn't too bad either. Since you aren't wanting the Taurus sho im not sure what to suggest to you. Golf r? Youd have to live with European unreliability though. I could suggest the Focus RS but that could go over 40g. Also it'll be hard to get a hold of one. But something not everyone has, well all the car you listed falls into everyone has one.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ianwelch001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota avalon
Sorry when I said something not everyone has I was referring to camry accord type cars. The Mazda 6 doesn't come with a v6 anymore

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Sorry when I said something not everyone has I was referring to camry accord type cars. The Mazda 6 doesn't come with a v6 anymore
gotcha. Im confused why you listed the maxima and acura if you don't want camry/accord type cars, but I suppose it doesn't matter. I didn't know the v6 isn't offered anymore. :doh: That's ashame. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

justindo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
That's a pretty varied list with some very different car types on it. I haven't driven the new Maxima, so I can't comment on it, but the previous generation one was okay. The new Maxima certainly looks different from a lot of cars and seems to have presence, so if those things are your primary goals, it may be the car for you. I'm sure it's roomy with a decent interior and decent power and handling for what it is. The Infiniti G37S would also be a great choice and would be a better performer, being RWD, but it's not as roomy as the Maxima.

I have, however, driven the new TLX V6 AWD and I think it's a pretty bland car and on the pricey side for what you're getting. Although I haven't driven one, the TLX I4 FWD with the 8-speed DCT might be the better option and save you some money, although if I were personally looking for something like that, I'd save even more and buy a Mazda 6 Touring or Grand Touring or maybe an Accord Sport if you really love Honda. In reality, the TLX and Maxima aren't really that different from the Accord and the Altima.

The Charger R/T with the new 8-speed is a good, solid car that's a good value and a lot more practical than the Mustang, but it doesn't perform as well. The car is really heavy and feels it, which is great on the highway, but not so great on the twisties. While the 345 is a good engine, it doesn't make the car terribly fast and I'd highly recommend upgrading to the Scat Pack, which will get you the 392, a better suspension, and Brembo brakes on all four wheels. Get it with the optional summer tires and get a set of winter tires and wheels and you're covered. At least the straight-line performance of the 392 will be as good or better than the Mustang GT, whereas the straight-line performance of the R/T is more like the V6 and stock Eco Boost Mustangs. The Scat Pack is only $3,400 more than the R/T with the Road and Track Package and is the best value in the Charger lineup, in my opinion. The Charger, has a great deal of presence too, but I do see a lot of the V6 models.

I would also recommend looking at the Chevrolet SS. The car performs as good or better than the Mustang GT on the track and at the drag strip, but it has four doors, as much room as the Charger, and the best interior, build quality, and feature content of the bunch. Of course the price is higher too, but people have been getting 2014s for under $40,000 and 2015s for under $45,000, recently. The SS is a rare car so you won't see many people with them, but it does resemble a Malibu in a lot of ways, so it probably doesn't have the "presence" that you're looking for. The design isn't exactly cutting edge either, but it should age well. As with the Charger, get some winter tires and wheels, as the SS comes only with staggered summer rubber.

Someone also mentioned the Taurus SHO and I would second that recommendation, although if you don't like the looks, you don't like the looks. Personally, I'd take one over the TLX V6 AWD and probably the Maxima, but the Charger, SS, and Mustang, being RWD V8s, are superior performers.

The new Mustang is a great car that looks and performs great and has a hugely improved interior. Of course it also has the limitations that a coupe has.

You have a lot of thinking and driving to do, but it's a fun problem to have!

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
The legacy turbo is sporty feeling. The mazda 6 v6 isn't too bad either. Since you aren't wanting the Taurus sho im not sure what to suggest to you. Golf r32? Youd have to live with European unreliability though. I could suggest the Focus RS but that could go over 40g. Also it'll be hard to get a hold of one. But something not everyone has, well all the car you listed falls into everyone has one.
The new Legacy does not come in a turbo variation. Subaru ended that with the previous generation. I know cause i was talking the fiance into one and when we went to look at the new ones (2015+) the sales guy sadly informed me of said info. Truly a sad day.

OP- i would personally wait for the RS. You can get into a base model (RS1) for about $36k. It's great having a bike and all for performance needs and go fast times, but you can't drive that year around, now can you? ;)

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The new Legacy does not come in a turbo variation. Subaru ended that with the previous generation. I know cause i was talking the fiance into one and when we went to look at the new ones (2015+) the sales guy sadly informed me of said info. Truly a sad day.

OP- i would personally wait for the RS. You can get into a base model (RS1) for about $36k. It's great having a bike and all for performance needs and go fast times, but you can't drive that year around, now can you? ;)
Wow. Thats stupid :(

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
Wow. Thats stupid :(
Tell me about it man. I was so happy i talked her into a Subie, as i have had 2. Then we roll up there and get a huge disappointment. She still bought a Crosstrek XV tho. Pretty neat little crossover SUV.
Sponsored