Scratch on Glove Box :(

B-Mitch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hey guys and gals... well, I'm an idiot, and I managed to scratch the glove box door with my camera tripod :( I called to see what a new door would cost, and they said they don't just sell the door, so the piece I would have to buy that includes the door is over $700. Nope. So, I was really hoping someone had an idea to make it look better than it does... or if anyone would like to sell me their scratch-free door ;) I've included a pic so you can all look down on me

Carscratch.PNG
Sponsored

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
you might be pleasantly surprised after taking a soft bristle brush and some soap to it, then using your favorite "conditioner" (like armor all).

OP
OP
B-Mitch

B-Mitch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
you might be pleasantly surprised after taking a soft bristle brush and some soap to it, then using your favorite "conditioner" (like armor all).
I'll give that a shot tomorrow.... Hopefully it's barely noticable

Thanks for the reply

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hey guys and gals... well, I'm an idiot, and I managed to scratch the glove box door with my camera tripod :( I called to see what a new door would cost, and they said they don't just sell the door, so the piece I would have to buy that includes the door is over $700. Nope. So, I was really hoping someone had an idea to make it look better than it does... or if anyone would like to sell me their scratch-free door ;) I've included a pic so you can all look down on me

Carscratch.PNG
You could possibly find a second hand one from a breakers yard.

Otherwise, you could also try this method -

Do at your own risk, but I have seen this work a few times. You may not totally remove it but make it virtually undetectable.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
My thought is, being a pebbled surface, repairing the effected area could make it noticable to the rest, as in the gun, with the sheen left afterwards.

Certainly, use the least aggressive means first. Along with other suggestions, I'd consider the lightest grit sandpaper you can find, like 3000 grit, if not finer.

Working in one direction, across the entire surface of the lid, sand the lid until the scratch is removed; this will change the appearance of the lid, but the effect will be uniform across the surface. Then, coat with Armor All or conditioner.

It won't look like a new factory lid, but it will be significantly cheaper, possibly a good fix while you look for a like-new, used lid in the scrap yard.

If you make repairs, please return to let us know how things worked out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
My thought is, being a pebbled surface, repairing the effected area could make it noticable to the rest, as in the gun, with the sheen left afterwards.

Certainly, use the least aggressive means first. Along with other suggestions, I'd consider the lightest grit sandpaper you can find, like 3000 grit, if not finer.

Working in one direction, and, across, the entire surface of the lid, sand the lid until the scratch is removed; this will change the appearance of the lid, but the effect will be uniform across the surface. Then, coat with Armor All or conditioner.

It won't look like a new factory lid, but it will be significantly cheaper, possibly a good fix while you look for a like-new, used lid in the scrap yard.

If you make repairs, please return to let us know how things worked out.
I feel like using sandpaper on plastic like this is only going to make the problem worse. The heat gun method doesn't remove any material or ruin the grain.

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
I do not know if the fit is ok but there is more than 700 results on ebay for 2015 + . Many are like 100$. take a look you might find something
Sponsored