Sponsored

Schroth Quickfit/2018 Install ?

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
For those who have the Quickfit mounted on their 2018, what needed to be removed in order to install the front outboard tailpiece. Waiting on backordered parts but could prep for the install now. Thanks.
Sponsored

mcstang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2016 F150 XLT
I'm curious as well as to the easiest way to accomplish the install. I took my Quick Fit belts out of my 2013 and was all ready to put them into the 2018 and then noticed the difference in the front seat belt mount.

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Well, it's easy. Just takes some time to remove plastic trim to gain access to front outboard anchor point. Here's what I did-

1. Remove threshold trim
2. Remove rear seat bottom cushion
3. Remove rear trim panel below side window. Better to lower seat back assy. while removing trailing portion of trim panel.
4. Bend back carpet to expose pre-tensioner (no need to remove seat track bolt finish trim)
5. On the pre-tensoiner, T50 the front bolt out and loosen the rear bolt and follow the instructions from here on out.

The rear anchor point is easy enough to deal with. I'm still waiting around for parts to arrive. I ordered direct from HMS and they were out of stock on everything...

mcstang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
So I got the install done, but... in my 2018 the front female receptacle takes a 7/8" tab width as does the rear receptacle. In my 2013 V6 the front was 7/8" but the rear was 1". So the latch on the Schroth for the rear seat belt receptacle is too wide.

I'll have to talk to Schroth; American Muscle (where I purchased them) had never heard of this problem.

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^That's a problem. Mine should be here soon and I'll check the latest & greatest direct from Schroth (HMS distributor). Did you have to bend the tailpiece anchors like the instructions state? How about trimming of the interior trim panel, did you do that too?

Sponsored

mcstang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
The rear loop didn't need any adjusting; it was already bent to fit the 2013.

Yes, I had to make a fairly long cut in the bottom of the panel to get the anchor through. I bent it to make it more or less parallel to the factory belt.

Since the front tab is 7/8", it should be easy enough to replace the 1" tab in the rear to match the 7/8" receptacle, but I'm not sure how Schroth will suggest going about that.

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Yeah, they may not want to alter what you have due to liability. Did you re-assemble the interior? Worst case is you repurchase updated 2018 version. Best case is you replace the 2018 rear part with a 2013 (wonky but saves you trouble dealing with Schroth who is only a distributor).

mcstang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Reassembled. I didnā€™t have to remove the full panel though.

I hadnā€™t thought about the liability issue. Iā€™d be disappointed if I had to buy a new set, considering I just bought the belts in June of 2017. I thought about finding a female receptacle from a 2013 and putting that in the back seat instead but then that rear factory belt couldnā€™t be used (not that I ever expect to have rear passengers). I donā€™t know if thereā€™s any electronics that would get upset in the 2018 if I did that though.

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^Oh OK, I guess you wouldn't need to remove the panel if you could bend the carpet back enough. There is no electronics for the rear belt receptor so, yeah, you could just swap it out. Believe me, there is little to no room for even a 10 year old back there...

Do like you said and give Schroth a call anyway.

mcstang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, my son is 14 and almost as tall as I am. Iā€™m glad I have the truck; I nearly took the Mustang to pick him up at school and sure enough he and his friend needed a ride to after school activities today. Iā€™d have to put one of them in the trunk-mine of course since his friend was much more appreciative of my driving services!

Sponsored

mcstang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I talked to Schroth. They were unaware that the ā€˜18s were incompatible. They also said the belts arenā€™t modifiable so their recommendation is to find a different female receptacle. They say that the ā€˜17s are compatible so maybe I can just find a 6G belt that isnā€™t ā€˜18 rather than a 5G.

I wish I could find documentation that definitively states that the ā€˜18 belt tab width is smaller, just to be sure itā€™s true and not just some weird anomaly where they installed the wrong rear belts. Both driver and passenger rear are narrow so it isnā€™t just the one.

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Well, bad news for 2018 application. HMS tells me fitment stops with 2017 M.Y.. I canceled my order and will go look at the Rally 4-point belt instead. Glad I tore my interior apart beforehand (not).

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I talked to Schroth. They were unaware that the ā€˜18s were incompatible. They also said the belts arenā€™t modifiable so their recommendation is to find a different female receptacle. They say that the ā€˜17s are compatible so maybe I can just find a 6G belt that isnā€™t ā€˜18 rather than a 5G.

I wish I could find documentation that definitively states that the ā€˜18 belt tab width is smaller, just to be sure itā€™s true and not just some weird anomaly where they installed the wrong rear belts. Both driver and passenger rear are narrow so it isnā€™t just the one.
You talked to Brady?

mcstang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
You talked to Brady?
I did! He did mention I could go the Rallye 4 route but bolting in all 4 doesnā€™t sound like fun.

Now I just need to figure out what model years before 2018 have female receptacles that accept 1ā€ width tabs and use the same size bolt to mount under the seat. I would think 2015-2017 would be most likely. Iā€™ll start a separate thread to ask the collective group about this before I go ordering parts or searching junk yards (what are the odds Iā€™ll find a 6G at the local ā€œU Pull Itā€).

OP
OP

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
I'll call Brady and ask him to measure the male ends just to ensure that what he has now won't fit an '18. I have some doubt...
Sponsored