SCCA/ NASA Time Trials, Anyone?

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
SCCA is having the Time Trial Nationals at my local track (NCM Motorsports Park). Have any of you raced S1 or T1 with your Shelby? What about NASA?

S1 looks like a fun class, and a way to compete beyond the typical HPDE experience.

The R is classed with:
C6 and C7 (not ZR1 or Z06)
ZL1 Camaro
Audi R8 V8
Acura NSX
Dodge Viper (not ACR or TA)
Nissan GTR
911 Turbo
BMW F80/82/83 M

Allowed modifications are virtually nonexistent. Thoughts?

-Spencer
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I was told you have to advance through their HPDE classes a bit before you can do time trials? I'm doing a time trial at Gridlife South this year. I won't come close to podium, but I'm hoping to have track time with similar-speed cars vs. weaving through traffic.

From the folks I've spoken to, Global Time Attack is a lot of (expensive) fun, so I can't imagine SCCA or NASA would be any different. And their classic is more "specific". If I had a GT350, I'd LOVE to be classed with the cars above to see what I could do.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
2nd that on having to go through NASA HPDE and do a time trials check-ride before you can get your NASA time trials license and compete. I'm not sure which class the GT350R will be in, but stock street cars traditionally do not do well in time trials. You will be competing against bespoke race cars that have the same power/weight ratios, but will be much faster. You can still have fun, but don't expect to dominate.

CasualGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE & 2013 Focus ST
I’m signed up for SCCA TTN and can guarantee that it will be a blast. A buddy and I ran my (then practically brand new) non-R in SCCA Targa last year (the spiritual predecessor of TTN) and won the S1 class. Our biggest competition were some C7 Corvettes, though. Even if our cars won’t be competitive against some of the top dogs in S1 (e.g. 911 GT3), it will still be a fun event.

For those unfamiliar with Time Trial Nationals, this is the inaugural year. It’s designed to make it as easy as possible for someone without a TT license or previous competition experience to run with others of similar skill. Friday is basically a training day for those without licenses, and a provisional license will be awarded upon completion without incident. Finish the whole weekend without incident, and I believe the plan is to award a full TT license at that point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tractor Junk

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
I’m signed up for SCCA TTN and can guarantee that it will be a blast. A buddy and I ran my (then practically brand new) non-R in SCCA Targa last year (the spiritual predecessor of TTN) and won the S1 class. Our biggest competition were some C7 Corvettes, though. Even if our cars won’t be competitive against some of the top dogs in S1 (e.g. 911 GT3), it will still be a fun event.

For those unfamiliar with Time Trial Nationals, this is the inaugural year. It’s designed to make it as easy as possible for someone without a TT license or previous competition experience to run with others of similar skill. Friday is basically a training day for those without licenses, and a provisional license will be awarded upon completion without incident. Finish the whole weekend without incident, and I believe the plan is to award a full TT license at that point.
That’s the impression I got. S1 seems very restrictive (on purpose), to keep modifications to a minimum and enhance the “street” nature of the cars. Even basics like camber plates aren’t allowed. I think camber bolts might be a gray area.

Are you going to run any of the allowed modifications? I’ll probably see you there!

-Spencer

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
S1 also in bringing a Butter Knife to a Gun Fight with a 718 Cayman GTS. Mods are basicly SCCA Street class solo with no limit on wheel size.

The idea came from SCCA Track Night in America in regards to experience. It is not like NASA TT, which I also run, where you need to work your way up the ladder.

S1 is going to be a big class and NCM is one of my favorite tracks.

Peter

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Based on my experience, you can expect a better level of driving instruction, more emphasis on safety, and less likelihood of losing track time at a NASA event. They are usually more organized and have more thorough instructors than you will find with SCCA. Some SCCA regions may be more established with a better track record, but I don't have any exposure to them. Anyone with a counterpoint or a different experience with SCCA or NASA is welcome to chime in.
Sponsored