Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

OppositeLock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Finally got this thing out to the Autocross on sunday. Ran at Marina airport near Monterey,CA, which is quite large and a pretty fast course.

The car is really good in some respects, but overall will need some upgrades to really unlock its potential. The major thing it needs is better tires. I was pretty much fighting oversteer the whole day, the back end breaks loose with even a bit of throttle. I really have to re-learn my whole driving style, with the most important lesson being throttle smoothness and application.I have autox'd/road raced fast awd cars, lower hp rwd and a few fwd cars over the years, but the mustang feels pretty different, especially in fast transitions. I actually spun once because i was a little to aggressive on the throttle and couldn't recover quickly enough (but hey, as the saying goes, If ya aint spinnin you ain't winnin! ).

I was only running about 1 second behind the fastest cars in my class, which all had RE71R's or Direzza Star Specs. I think the car has lots left in it, the two things that are really good out of the box are the phenomenal power & torque, and the brakes(the brembos have amazing bite and power, especially impressive for stock pads). I cant wait to run it with some new tires, and improve my skill level with the car.

A pretty sloppy run, but oddly still my fastest of the day:
[ame]
Sponsored

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT premium with PP 6speed
any one try the ford racing replacement Strut And Shock kit? waiting for Koni replacements is killing me

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT premium with PP 6speed
that soon? jesus, the last time i send koni a email they said they just started development

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
that soon? jesus, the last time i send koni a email they said they just started development
If you really want better struts and shocks NOW contact Sam Strano for his Koni race insert (double or single adjustable) solution for the fronts and his Koni shock solution for the rear. More $ but the fastest Mustangs at this year's Solo Nationals used these. In fact I think one set of rears is available for sale from ABQautoxer if he didn't sell them already.

I removed my set of rear Konis (the ones from Sam Strano) for the off season and certainly notice the difference in normal driving (more rear up/down motion). However since I have the Koni strut inserts there is still much less front end lift even with rebound at full soft than with the oem PP struts.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Finally got this thing out to the Autocross on sunday. Ran at Marina airport near Monterey,CA, which is quite large and a pretty fast course.

The car is really good in some respects, but overall will need some upgrades to really unlock its potential. The major thing it needs is better tires. I was pretty much fighting oversteer the whole day, the back end breaks loose with even a bit of throttle. I really have to re-learn my whole driving style, with the most important lesson being throttle smoothness and application.I have autox'd/road raced fast awd cars, lower hp rwd and a few fwd cars over the years, but the mustang feels pretty different, especially in fast transitions. I actually spun once because i was a little to aggressive on the throttle and couldn't recover quickly enough (but hey, as the saying goes, If ya aint spinnin you ain't winnin! ).

I was only running about 1 second behind the fastest cars in my class, which all had RE71R's or Direzza Star Specs. I think the car has lots left in it, the two things that are really good out of the box are the phenomenal power & torque, and the brakes(the brembos have amazing bite and power, especially impressive for stock pads). I cant wait to run it with some new tires, and improve my skill level with the car.

A pretty sloppy run, but oddly still my fastest of the day:
Is your car stock and if not what performance mods do you have.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
On my first autocross this month I was honestly working on just being smooth, but I felt that the transition between understeer/oversteer was pretty abrupt.

That being said, I was running relatively high tire pressure (35) and it was an extremely tight but short course (low 30s).

Is there anything obvious I might do with my GT PP? That being said, I *know* my car is faster than me -- an instructor at the event ran my car 33" flat with cold tires and higher pressures than I ran, and I ran in the low 34s at best. The biggest upgrade I need to do is to upgrade the nut behind the wheel.

That said, any setup tips? Other than a Blowfish bracket I am 100% stock.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Try just running the rear tires at 32, maybe 33 psi. That should gain you a little more rear mechanical grip and soften the transition from US to OS.

I'm afraid that I don't know how to evaluate what 'smooth' means to a first time autocrosser.

What I think 'smooth' is, is somewhat more 'delicate' than what it means to the typical driver whose driving experience is strictly street with little or no useful experience driving up anywhere near the car's cornering limits.

At least on the longer and higher speed sweepers you should be able to play with the throttle in small (tiny?) amounts and feel/sense slight changes in the car's heading and/or grip happening without too much fear that you're going to completely snap the tail loose. IOW, you're sensing small changes in rear slip angle without going past the point of no return. That's my first-cut take on 'smooth'.

Norm

lostwon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z51 7 Speed
NO rear shocks!!??

I removed my set of rear Konis (the ones from Sam Strano) for the off season and certainly notice the difference in normal driving (more rear up/down motion). However since I have the Koni strut inserts there is still much less front end lift even with rebound at full soft than with the oem PP struts.

WOW! Never tried that. Lightened your car , too, I''ll bet. I can see why you're getting a little more "up/down motion" Dick... :)

Just kidding. This waiting for Koni Sports struts is getting to me. By the way, what's an "off season"? We run year round out here in paradise...

Has anyone heard anything we can take to the bank about new Koni Sports for the S550?. Or any affordable alternatives? I don't think I want to join the early adopters of the Strano solution, although I fully understand why they tried whatever they could find or fabricate.

Still planning on staying in FS for now. (Until the 2016 Camaro SSs start showing up) Must buy new something EVERY year....

Happy Holidays everyone!

John

Sponsored

boileralum

cone junky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP DIB
WOW! Never tried that. Lightened your car , too, I''ll bet. I can see why you're getting a little more "up/down motion" Dick... :)

Just kidding. This waiting for Koni Sports struts is getting to me. By the way, what's an "off season"? We run year round out here in paradise...

Has anyone heard anything we can take to the bank about new Koni Sports for the S550?. Or any affordable alternatives? I don't think I want to join the early adopters of the Strano solution, although I fully understand why they tried whatever they could find or fabricate.

Still planning on staying in FS for now. (Until the 2016 Camaro SSs start showing up) Must buy new something EVERY year....

Happy Holidays everyone!

John
They borrowed my car the end of October to do test fitment. They told me to bring the car back in February when they get their first production run and they will install them on my car. I haven't talked to them since then since February is still 2 months away. I will be sure to update when I hear any news.

OppositeLock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Ran the car again at a SFR event on saturday. Way better this time, worked on cutting distance (thanks Simmons-racing for the insight!) and being a bit smother on my throttle control. I had our local mustang/cobra hotshoe Dan Pellow, drive a run with it- he cut about 2 seconds off my previous fastest time. I watched his line and took some pointers. Must have really helped, because my next run was actually a tiny bit faster than his run(granted it was his first time in a s550 mustang). Still pretty happy with the outcome. Cant wait to get some re71's and some camber and actually have some grip!

[ame]

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Looks better, nice job. You can cut a ton of time if you get right on those apex cones, it will make a huge difference.

OppositeLock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Looks better, nice job. You can cut a ton of time if you get right on those apex cones, it will make a huge difference.
Thanks man, yea i definitley can make up some time by hitting the apex's better. Im just having trouble getting the car to bite in the front. I guess im still used to my old evo, which had a quicker rack and very fast turn in. This car has been a great learning experience though! Cant wait for next season(and some tires :D )!
Sponsored