Sponsored

Safe to drive new car home on sumr tires?

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Have a GT with PP on order.

Might be really cold when it gets here.

According to consumer reports (and a G.M. bulletin to dealers they referenced), summer tires can crack and be ruined if driven at temperatures below 20 F.

Was planning to tiptoe home (40 miles) from the dealer due to the tires being cold and slick (if the car gets here before I die from waiting) which is sort of dumb perhaps. Ruining the tires in the process would be sort of dumb squared.

Anybody know if and at what temperature you need to worry about the oem tires cracking?
Sponsored

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Driving it home 40 mi won't hurt it. Ratings are mostly for sustained use.

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
I have a 2014 GT500 with arguably the Best & Worst Summer tires, the Goodyear F1 Supercars. When the temp is below 70deg the 1st 15min you need to BABY the car, sometimes starting in 2nd gear...However, you learn to drive differently and learn the car and conditions. Ironically I ordered the 2015 GT with the PP for my DD, because like a bonehead MISSED the fact this car will ALSO have Summer tires. The difference, from what I read is the Perelli's are more in line with the Michellin and SHOULD be a tad tammer. In short...Just don't drive the car the same as you would in normal warm conditions. Again, respect the power, and learn conditions, and you will be 100% fine! Well, IMHO.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I have driven the last seven winters on 3 different sets(brands) of Summer tires on my GTO. This is in temperatures down to below 0 Fahrenheit. I have had NO degradation of rubber or tread on any of those. Of course traction on cold pavement is not optimal but it is in NO way dangerous as long as you remember traction is partially compromised. In snow they suck but it can be done with slow and steady driving. Don't worry about driving it on cold pavement. :)
Sponsored