EB to GT (Advice?)

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I've owned my '17 Grabber Blue EB/PP since I ordered and bought it new back in 2016. Aside from the typical aluminum corrosion and a few other things, it's been a relatively reliable and wonderful first foray into Mustang ownership over the last nearly 5 years and 51,000 miles. However, I'm finally ready for my first V8 and I'm looking at a used '17 GT Premium with about 53,000 miles, and fortunately/ironically also in Grabber Blue!

Regarding future modifications, I've learned a lot from my EB regarding what I'd like to do to this car if I buy it. I'd also like to know if there's anything maintenance-wise or GT-specific I should be aware of given the mileage? If there's anything I should be mindful of and/or prepared for? I appreciate it!
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on your local market - keep in mind used vehicles prices are ridiculous right now. A co-worker has been looking for a used Mustang GT for probably 2-3 months. He's even open for a road trip. At this point he's already started looking at new 2020 models on dealer lots.

But service / maintenance records help with the history.
Check any modifications or evidence of previous modifications that were removed.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Used cars are costing 99% of new cars

Imo. I wouldn’t buy used in this market

Get a good deal on new

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been looking since early fall and am aware of the how the used market has been atrocious as of late and last year relative to my local market.

To me, with the one-year color and options this car has, it’s a pretty good deal to me (better than what I saw last year) and preferentially speaking I’d rather have this 2017 over a brand new Mustang.

Sponsored

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Is the 2017 manual?
Yes it is (the only way I’ll drive a Mustang)! I’ve already got some ideas of what I’d like to regarding the MT-82 (Steeda bracket/assist spring, fluid change)

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yes it is (the only way I’ll drive a Mustang)! I’ve already got some ideas of what I’d like to regarding the MT-82 (Steeda bracket/assist spring, fluid change)
I’m with you my brother. 17 is the way to go then. I upgraded to the Barton Hybrid 3 and couldn’t be happier.
If your good with the miles and it runs good and strong, then I don’t see an issue.

Some people refuse to buy used cars some people refuse to buy new.

I think they each have a time and a place, and they both have pros and cons.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Drive it a bit before you mod it. The MT82 is not as bad as people say. I did do the Steeda Clutch Spring but that’s it. Unless you like modding I quess ?

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Drive it a bit before you mod it. The MT82 is not as bad as people say. I did do the Steeda Clutch Spring but that’s it. Unless you like modding I quess ?
I'll challenge anyone who drives a 6 speed S550 to install a MGW shifter and not immediately notice how much better the thing is.........it's night and day. Stock shifter is like moving a spoon in a jar of mayo comparatively. Not to mention no getting locked out of high RPM gear changes...

Reactions: MD_

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've removed the assist spring, changed the fluid to BG, and have the Steeda bracket. Just that combination makes a huge difference.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I'll challenge anyone who drives a 6 speed S550 to install a MGW shifter and not immediately notice how much better the thing is.........it's night and day. Stock shifter is like moving a spoon in a jar of mayo comparatively. Not to mention no getting locked out of high RPM gear changes...
$479 Challenge so I can debate some dude on the internet ... I’ll pass.

I’m sure the MGW shifter is awesome but the stock works fine for me and in 5 years of driving mine I’ve never been locked out of high RPM gear changes. :)

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I don't get locked out of high rpm changes with my stock shifter. đź‘Ť

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
With anything used just make sure it hasn't been wrecked with it not reported on the history report. I'd also say make sure the A/C works, and have a compression test from a third party mechanic done. At 53k who knows how well the other guy did the maintenance and drove it. Also, don't be afraid to maybe consider a used late model 2019 with the 10r80. Good luck bro!

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
I picked up my 2016 w/ only 4,8xx miles and the OEM shifter was by far the worst feeling shifter I've driven. The 1st to 2nd nibble was so bad, I'd have issues even getting into 2nd all together when the car was cold. 2nd to 3rd also had the bite but wasn't near as bad as 1-2. Locked out of 3rd twice and started really messing with me after that.

MGW went in and totally changed the experience for me. Just comparing the linkage of the OEM and any aftermarket shifter will tell you all you need to know. I've heard of guys having zero issues and loving the OEM shifter but they really seem to be a rarity. Maybe it's that much better for the D4 variant?