Sponsored

S550 Vs Other Muscle On The Track

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
So upon reviews like Motortrend, Randy Post said the Mustang is easier to control on the track because it demonstrates confidence. I'd imagine the Camaro, Charger SRT8, and Challenger ST8 have a higher skill level and have less confidence? This is primarily why I went with the S550 as my first FR. I wanted a vehicle to learn on. Trust me, I love it and would not have it any other way. On the track, however, the newer Camaros are faster. Can anyone testify and explain whay Randy means?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So upon reviews like Motortrend, Randy Post said the Mustang is easier to control on the track because it demonstrates confidence. I'd imagine the Camaro, Charger SRT8, and Challenger ST8 have a higher skill level and have less confidence? This is primarily why I went with the S550 as my first FR. I wanted a vehicle to learn on. Trust me, I love it and would not have it any other way. On the track, however, the newer Camaros are faster. Can anyone testify and explain whay Randy means?
The three cars are fairly similar. Any of them will do well on track at an amateur level. It's not like you are racing for money.

Buy what you like. 99.9% of your driving will be on the street, not on the track.

FYI you come off as a troll, but I'm pretending you are serious here.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I think any one of those cars with new tires could instill more confidence in the others with worn ones. They are all good, some better than others for a variety of reasons.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The three cars are fairly similar. Any of them will do well on track at an amateur level. It's not like you are racing for money.

Buy what you like. 99.9% of your driving will be on the street, not on the track.

FYI you come off as a troll, but I'm pretending you are serious here.
Nah, I'm not trolling. Honestly, I am unsure how I came off as a troll. I just want to see what people have to say about other muscle cars versus a Mustang.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think any one of those cars with new tires could instill more confidence in the others with worn ones. They are all good, some better than others for a variety of reasons.
I think I'm curious what reasons make those GM and Mopar cars good. I am unsure what they are because I am new to domestics. I am so used to Japanese cars.

Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Chassis, weight, suspension, aero balance, etc. The problem is each model and sub model (EB, GT, GT350, etc) has its strengths and weaknesses. The more you read, the more you learn. :thumbsup:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think I'm curious what reasons make those GM and Mopar cars good. I am unsure what they are because I am new to domestics. I am so used to Japanese cars.
I think they are good mainly because they are rear wheel drive and have powerful engines.

Mazda Miata is always hailed as being a terrific car to drive. It doesn't have the power, but front engine rear drive and light weight make it a lot of fun anyway. The Honda S2000 is another example but it had more power than the Miata.

Most Japanese cars are front wheel drive and it's a lot more difficult to make a FWD car great in the corners. Until very recently you didn't ever see FWD cars rated highly in this area. Now there are some really good handling FWD cars, but they are the exception.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think they are good mainly because they are rear wheel drive and have powerful engines.

Mazda Miata is always hailed as being a terrific car to drive. It doesn't have the power, but front engine rear drive and light weight make it a lot of fun anyway. The Honda S2000 is another example but it had more power than the Miata.

Most Japanese cars are front wheel drive and it's a lot more difficult to make a FWD car great in the corners. Until very recently you didn't ever see FWD cars rated highly in this area. Now there are some really good handling FWD cars, but they are the exception.
I was about to mention the Type R. Hondas did pretty well on circuit tracks in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.
I am very happy with my FR. I love it more than my Honda. Oversteer still perplexes me a bit. The only thing I miss is the K24 engine note.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was about to mention the Type R. Hondas did pretty well on circuit tracks in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.
I am very happy with my FR. I love it more than my Honda. Oversteer still perplexes me a bit. The only thing I miss is the K24 engine note.
Hondas did well on circuit tracks? I'm not aware of what you are talking about. Are you talking about FWD Civics running against Mustangs of the time or something? Or they did well against other FWD cars?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas did well on circuit tracks? I'm not aware of what you are talking about. Are you talking about FWD Civics running against Mustangs of the time or something? Or they did well against other FWD cars?
Depends on the source. A 2005 Type R JDM kept up with an Audi R8 on mountain passes. According to Gran Turismo, one year the Civic in the 1980s one every race in a tounement in Japan. It's an extremely impressive platform for 4 cylinders. Makes me want to see an Ecoboost race a Type R.

Sponsored

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
Maybe I should be embarrassed to ask this question. But what is an FR?

Don

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Depends on the source. A 2005 Type R JDM kept up with an Audi R8 on mountain passes. According to Gran Turismo, one year the Civic in the 1980s one every race in a tounement in Japan. It's an extremely impressive platform for 4 cylinders. Makes me want to see an Ecoboost race a Type R.
Sorry but to me talking about that is like telling me which bicycle is fastest. Why race an EB against a Type R? Race the type R top Civic model against the GT500 Mustang top model.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I should be embarrassed to ask this question. But what is an FR?

Don
Front engine Rear Wheel. So a Honda Civic Type R is an FF. Front engine Front wheel and an MR is Mid engine Rear wheel.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry but to me talking about that is like telling me which bicycle is fastest. Why race an EB against a Type R? Race the type R top Civic model against the GT500 Mustang top model.
Because they're not in the same peformance class. They are not in the same price range. They are not in the same category. They both have different priorities.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Because they're not in the same peformance class. They are not in the same price range. They are not in the same category. They both have different priorities.
Probably fit a Mustang GT versus the Type R, since the GT is only a little less expensive than the Type R. The EB is a lot cheaper.
Sponsored