bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Oh of course, endurance racing never ever came into my mind when regarding this conversation. Endurance racing is a whole 'nother animal and merits its own discussion. Nothing in any standard mass produced car is anywhere near capable of doing an endurance event.

This whole conversation was based on track days, HPDE events or time trials with a max of 20-25 minutes on track.
Steeda is winning Endurance races all the time with the Number 20 car. So that's not true.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Steeda is winning Endurance races all the time with the Number 20 car. So that's not true.
Steeda's car is far from stock:

This is Steeda's latest rendition of the historic 20 car that we've been campaigning for the past 25-30 years.

What you see in front of you is a 2015 Mustang equipped with a Boss 302 intake manifold and our full catalog of parts thrown underneath for the suspension.

This car is equipped with the Wilwood brake kit up front, that's a 6 piston caliper with a 14 inch disc, instead of the usual, Brembo package that you see on so many Performance Pack cars.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Wait for the comments how the FPRS Mustangs are not stock which is a fact they have the track pack, diff cooler, engine oil cooler,run 5w50 oil, have FP Track Pack suspention, roll cage etc.
Of course but the point is it's not impossible to take a lowly GTPP and turn it into a reliable racecar. There's apparently a few teams that have done it: Steeda and these folks to name two.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Of course but the point is it's not impossible to take a lowly GTPP and turn it into a reliable racecar. There's apparently a few teams that have done it: Steeda and these folks to name two.
I agree with you driving my GT on track last season was a blast.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
i believe this to be true. Also another s550 advantage is 2015 vs. 2005 chassis crash engineering. The standards for occupant safety keep increasing. Add that to modern race safety systems and tracking/racing your car is safer than ever.

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
i believe this to be true. Also another s550 advantage is 2015 vs. 2005 chassis crash engineering. The standards for occupant safety keep increasing. Add that to modern race safety systems and tracking/racing your car is safer than ever.
I haven't really thought about chassis safety, but how much does that matter once you start adding stuff like 4pt cage, harness, HANS, etc.?

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I haven't really thought about chassis safety, but how much does that matter once you start adding stuff like 4pt cage, harness, HANS, etc.?
imo it matters greatly. Modern chassis design is constantly improving so the chassis sacrifices its life for yours. That’s partly why cars today are so easily totaled in crashes. The racecar safety system is only what you hope keeps you safe because 1st there are application compromises, second out right install/ application errors, and no testing of your specific system in your car. In our racecars we do best practices. Probably the safest factory racecar one could buy is the Porsche gt3 cup. It has all the euro and federal law testing of the chassis and 100’s many 1000’s of factory build gt3 cup chassis build and more cup cars crashed than anything else. Porsche can look at crash deficiencies and make changes. I think there might be a couple 100 s550 factory racecars. Sample size is poor.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think there might be a couple 100 s550 factory racecars. Sample size is poor.
I doubt the S550 GT4's production number are over 100 to be fair.

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I doubt the S550 GT4's production number are over 100 to be fair.
Yeah...and that means even fewer crashed factory racecars for crashworthiness data.

Bumzo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
I just finished racing my C5Z06 about 1 decade of racing that platform. I just started racing a 2019 GT.
The C6 is really C5 2.0. There is no revolution in the design like the C7 to C8 but instead evolution. You need to compare apples to apples. There is the C6 LS2, C6 LS3, C6 GS (an LS3 motor with factory dry sump), C6Z06, and C6Zr1. Each is very different. Each has advantages and disadvantages. IMO the lowly C5Z06 is superior to the S550 platform from a track perspective. The C6 is a better platform than the C5. The S550 PP1 is lacking because of weight, CG, lack of adjustable suspension, poor brakes and that is only what I have found so far. .... If I was running a C6 it would be the lowest mile you can get C6GS. That is the most bullit-proof C6 platform.
I'm surprised you think the PP1 brembos are poor. I personally cheap out and go with the powerstop track day pads and have never once had an issue with my brakes on track. I have a close friend that has been building his C6 grand sport over the last 2 years and one of his biggest issues has been overheating the brakes, even with upgraded carbotech pads. He has since added brake ducts and that has helped quite a bit but he still doesn't trust them 100%. Granted nowadays he's a good amount faster than I am but most of his issues were when he was closer to stock and we ran similar times. You might look into the vorshlag brake cooling deflectors, they did a good amount of testing and determined that they were more effective than brake ducts and backing plates (which they also sell). I'll probably pick up a set of them this year.

I personally believe the C6 GS is a class above the S550 and I actually plan to upgrade to a corvette in 3-4 years.

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm surprised you think the PP1 brembos are poor. I personally cheap out and go with the powerstop track day pads and have never once had an issue with my brakes on track. I have a close friend that has been building his C6 grand sport over the last 2 years and one of his biggest issues has been overheating the brakes, even with upgraded carbotech pads. He has since added brake ducts and that has helped quite a bit but he still doesn't trust them 100%. Granted nowadays he's a good amount faster than I am but most of his issues were when he was closer to stock and we ran similar times. You might look into the vorshlag brake cooling deflectors, they did a good amount of testing and determined that they were more effective than brake ducts and backing plates (which they also sell). I'll probably pick up a set of them this year.

I personally believe the C6 GS is a class above the S550 and I actually plan to upgrade to a corvette in 3-4 years.
Vorshlag '18 Mustang build was a good read. I guess when you take into consideration pressure drop in flexible brake ducts it's not all that surprising that brake deflectors work just as well, since you're getting about same amount of air. There was a guy that did similar testing on a Lexus IS300 some years back and came to similar conclusion.
Sponsored