Sponsored

s550 Suspension

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hello,

Fairly new owner, but one thing I have noticed is that I am getting "wheel hop" when trying to put power down in 1st and 2nd.

What suspension mods are recommended to eliminate this? I have seen some parts from BMR and Steeda, but I do not know too much about suspension, so anything will be helpful.

Thanks.
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have Steeda suspension parts and it improved the handling and "hop" tremendously. Steeda has the "stop the hop" kit which greatly helps, but BMR makes good stuff, also. Do a search on this site and you'll find all kinds of conversations about it.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Hello,

Fairly new owner, but one thing I have noticed is that I am getting "wheel hop" when trying to put power down in 1st and 2nd.

What suspension mods are recommended to eliminate this? I have seen some parts from BMR and Steeda, but I do not know too much about suspension, so anything will be helpful.

Thanks.
Absolutely a huge problem with the new IRS. We have the best 2 vendors supporting us actively on the forum, you can't go wrong with Steeda or BMR. I selected Steeda, they have a stop the hop package here: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-ultimate-irs-stop-the-hop-package-2015-all-555-2129.html

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Hi there and welcome to the board,

there is a whole section dedicated to Suspension and Suspension mods, it might be benificial for you to have a look there.
That being said, Steeda offers a whole "stop the hop" package that seems to help.

Good luck on your future mods:cheers:

Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Hi and welcome!

I am going down this rabbit hole right now. I purchased the BMR cradle lockout kit. It looks like a very easy install compared to how much benefit everyone says they get... plus it's not super expensive.

oh yeah, and I'm also doing springs, sway bars, and camber kits, but I don't think that'll do much for the wheel hop.

There are plenty of choices, but anything anchoring the rear subframe will help, from the looks of things.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... It looks like a very easy install ...
Yeah good luck with that. It works out but things don't line up like you think they would. Have some ratchet straps or a buddy with a big crow bar handy. Also, those bolts will cut new threads if you aren't careful. I'm sure some have the holes and bolts line up without flexing things back into position, but plenty don't.

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Yeah good luck with that. It works out but things don't line up like you think they would. Have some ratchet straps or a buddy with a big crow bar handy. Also, those bolts will cut new threads if you aren't careful. I'm sure some have the holes and bolts line up without flexing things back into position, but plenty don't.
There are holes that you can use a prybar in to get the subframe to line up. I also bought the steeda alignment kit to use with the BMR kit... from all accounts, it helps the bolts go in how they're supposed to.

Have you put the kit in on your car? What was your experience with it?

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There are holes that you can use a prybar in to get the subframe to line up. I also bought the steeda alignment kit to use with the BMR kit... from all accounts, it helps the bolts go in how they're supposed to.

Have you put the kit in on your car? What was your experience with it?
Yep I installed it and do think it helped tighten the rear end. Wasn't super impressed with it during install though. I had to used some 1/8" spacers to make the plates mount correctly on one side because there was a big gap between the mounting flange and the chassis. I tried prying using those holes and it was pretty awkward lying on my back under there and getting leverage and trying to install bolts at the same time. Ratchet straps helped being that I didn't have a helper.
Also, I'm glad I didn't go with the alignment bushings, can't imagine having to get the bolts installed with those in place considering the force I had to use to flex the cradle enough to get the bolts to thread correctly. Betting I could drop the cradle 10 times and every time it would bolt back up in the same exact position only because everything had to be flexed back into position and I doubt there is anywhere for it to move besides this one position where the bolts all thread correctly. I should have bought some new bolts that didn't have the thread cutting tips, they would be nice to have if I ever have to disassemble it again. Glad the cb005 was a simple and effective bolt on solution that helps with wheel hop. It did add just a twitch of vibe to my rear view mirror, but I don't even notice it anymore.

Also I took the car in for an alignment afterwards and the machine said everything was within spec still. If I recall he adjusted the front toe a little.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
ah interesting. Well, I hope I don't have those straining issues!
Well, I'll cross my fingers for you. It's not bad, I just didn't expect it to be stretched on like that. For all I know I'm one of the few and that's why my flange didn't seat right? hmmm, got me thinking about that for a minute.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Hello,

Thanks.
BMR's CB005 will almost eliminate your wheel hop by itself!

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
I just installed the CB005 along with the Steeda diff bushings today which I hope fixes the hop for me. When the weather gets nice I will take it out and check to see, if not the next step for me will be vertical links. Also I was a lucky SOB as my cradle was centered. I took the front factory braces off and when I looked in the big bolt hole on the cradle the threaded hole in the frame was dead nuts in the center on both sides. :headbang: Everything bolted right up without an ounce of an issue which was nice after doing those PITB diff bushings.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for Steeda!

Private Message sent.

Go Lions - from a fellow Michigander!