Aaleck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, Premium, Manual
Hi all,

I'm expecting my first in July and am just curious if any of you have any experience with transporting your children and car seats. I've did some research already and found out some information already but I'm still curious.

Here's an article on cars.com that I found: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2014/12/2015-ford-mustang-car-seat-check.html

Any recommendations on a particular kind of car seat? Sounds like if you get an actual infant carrier compared to a convertible it's easier to get the kid in and out but you sacrafice leg room for the passenger (which in this case, would be the momma and thats something that I don't wanna do :bolt:). Convertibles give the most leg room but you sacrifice convenience getting the child in and out which I'm sure over time gets old.

As it stands now I'll probably get a convertible to keep the old lady happy.
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
let me show you how easy it is. i made this to prove to my wife lol. we have a baby trend seat from babies r us. it's really small so it makes life easier. we got our 2nd due in april.

[ame]

and my first child uses this! even less of an issue.

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
You WILL want a carrier. You sure as hell do not want to be waking up your infant everytime you take em out of the car. You're gonna cherish the times they're asleep (at least the first few yrs). I wish you the best of luck dealing with a newborn / infant and Mustang. My oldest is 20 and youngest is 13 with other four door cars. Just friendly advice, nothing more, nothing less.

Dealing with diaper bags, strollers, car seats, space for Mrs's in a Mustang. No way Id of dealt with that headache in a car like a Mustang.

OP
OP
Aaleck

Aaleck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
let me show you how easy it is. i made this to prove to my wife lol. we have a baby trend seat from babies r us. it's really small so it makes life easier. we got our 2nd due in april.

and my first child uses this! even less of an issue.

Oh nice. So you're using one of the ones that snaps in. And there's enough room on the passenger side seat for leg room? She's probably 5'10 give or take.

You WILL want a carrier. You sure as hell do not want to be waking up your infant everytime you take em out of the car. You're gonna cherish the times they're asleep (at least the first few yrs). I wish you the best of luck dealing with a newborn / infant and Mustang. My oldest is 20 and youngest is 13 with other four door cars. Just friendly advice, nothing more, nothing less.

Dealing with diaper bags, strollers, car seats, space for Mrs's in a Mustang. No way Id of dealt with that headache in a car like a Mustang.
Haha yeah it'll be a handful but hopefully the hard stage won't last too long. She's due at the end of July and I'll probably drive the Mustang till November then keep her in storage in which case I'll have a 4 door Explorer to haul the kiddo around.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup: I do definitely want one of the carriers if I can get one that fits and doesn't take up too much room.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red

I can't imagine dealing with putting an infant in and out of the back seat... yikes. Man, you are a dedicated Mustang dude!:hail:

Sponsored

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
I can't imagine dealing with putting an infant in and out of the back seat... yikes. Man, you are a dedicated Mustang dude!:hail:
Haha, you must mean the OP. The Mustang just sees my wife and I. No way I'd wish that pain on either of my grown kids now. And no way in hell I'd of dealt with my kids (20 & 13 now) as infants and all the baggage in a 2 Dr coupe. Especially these days when there's so many great four sedans out there.

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
Oh nice. So you're using one of the ones that snaps in. And there's enough room on the passenger side seat for leg room? She's probably 5'10 give or take.

Haha yeah it'll be a handful but hopefully the hard stage won't last too long. She's due at the end of July and I'll probably drive the Mustang till November then keep her in storage in which case I'll have a 4 door Explorer to haul the kiddo around.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup: I do definitely want one of the carriers if I can get one that fits and doesn't take up too much room.
Congrats bud. Id say the hard parts of transporting em aren't over till they're in booster seats, so you have awhile, haha. Id say dealing with a car seat without carrier seems like a good idea, till the first time you or mama are pulling out a screaming kidlet. They like to sleep on drives, defiantely take advantage of it. Either way congrats again and wish ya the best. Good times ahead for ya. K

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I'm a single dad with a 3 year old girl (and full custody). I've had nothing but mustang since she was born.

Carrier with base makes life easy first years. Snap in and snap out. Deal with buckling her up in the house.

Now she's in a front facing. I have a harmony because it doesn't have sharp edges on bottom to dig into the seat. I keep a folded up twin bed sheet over entire area and a bath towel under the seat. In both my 11 and my 15 LE. She climbs into and out of the car and seat on her own now and I reach in and buckler her up.

When just us, I leave the front seat forward and folded forward for her. When someone rides with is (not common but been dating more lately), she knows to keep her feet folded up. That just took some teaching and now it's easy. She's a good girl though

I wouldn't change anything. I had a 4 door accord when married (exes car) and the mustang actually isn't that much harder as far as the kiddo. Passenger side comfort is what suffers.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Haha, you must mean the OP. The Mustang just sees my wife and I. No way I'd wish that pain on either of my grown kids now. And no way in hell I'd of dealt with my kids (20 & 13 now) as infants and all the baggage in a 2 Dr coupe. Especially these days when there's so many great four sedans out there.
Yup, meant the OP.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
It's not really a big deal. Quick and simple unless you have some ridiculous large car seat like some people do in the big SUVs

Sponsored
OP
OP
Aaleck

Aaleck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
So after doing some digging around I found the two smallest infant carriers/seats were the Cyber Aton 2 which is 25 inches in length and the more popular Chicco Keyfit 30 which is 27 inches in length. If I still had my 2012 GT I'd measure the back seat for an idea but it's gotta be about 2 feet. Maybe a bit less? Sounds like a good plan

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
It's not necessarily The length, it's the angle that the rear facing seat sits at in relation to the back of the front seat. But with the front seat leaned forward and pushed all the way forward there is a big gap between the door frame and the back of the front seat giving you plenty room to get a seat in and out as you see in the video.

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
My son is about to turn two and I drop him off in the morning 3-4 times a week. I came from a GMC Terrain, and it's clearly not as roomy but it's not bad taking him in and out. My wife rides passenger with him behind her and has plenty of room. She's probably 5'10", so relatively tall for a woman.

I was personally worried about this before I bought the car. Now, I really don't notice much. The worst part is I'm so worried about getting my first scratch, when I put my foot in the back floorboard to buckle up my son, I do it in ridiculously slow motion so I don't scuff anything. Then I get in the drivers side, in sloooooww mooottionnnn.

Oh, and I use this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...957.2273443.2256187.2256196&parentPage=family

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
1) A wrx wagon/hatch is a cool car if you have baby seats. My boys are now 4 and 7. The mustang is fine for all of us.
2) The long doors of a coupe actually make it easier to pull the baby carrier out, but as mentioned, front passengers suffer.
3) I once saw a lady pull up to the daycare in a 911. The front seat flipped up, and out piled no less than 3 children.

Priorities are priorities. By that, I mean, you can fit 3 kids in a 911. You can put the graco stroller in a luggage carrier on the roof of your S550. Personally, I think it's badass to see sports cars being used to haul kiddies, groceries, or mulch.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Lol mulch. The trunk in mustang also fits our strollers just fine too.
Sponsored