Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input! I think Cleveland winters get LOT worse than near Dayton due to the lake I think...
I do go only to touchless (haven't even hand-washed the car yet, should), surprisingly true touchless are hard to find. Everyone has those "soft brushes," miss me with that stuff...
Your biggest issue is going to be tires, rims, suspension, and paint chips from the potholes and busted up concrete and asphalt from the plows. I'd get some winter tires, spare set of winter only rims, and paint protection film... Suspension you can't do anything about. Just need to get alignments and balancing regularly. I'd also get a membership to a touchless car wash for unlimited washes. Your rims will get full of snow and ice and throw your balancing off also so get the added wheel blast at the car wash.

Btw, lived in the north for 52 years and never owned a vehicle I originally purchased that had rust. My 2008 chevy truck with 180k miles on it is the only vehicle I have had with rust and it came that way. Key is to avoid chips and when you get them fix them immediately.
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
The amount of money I spent on a set of Wheels with TPMS and Blizzaks ( $1500) I could have bought a beater but I didn't and I drove the Mustang as a Daily. Luckily only hit 1 snow storm that year.

2nd year I bought a 99 GMC Sonoma truck for $1500 and I sold that extra set of Wheels and Snow tires.

Liked having a truck so much that I upgraded that the 3rd year for a 2010 Silverado Regular Cab 4x4 . Going on my 3rd winter with the Silverado and I just love it and the Mustang says thank you.

Not for nothing but I really like having a 2nd vehicle that I can park anywhere and not give a crap if someone dings it up. Also good for hauling crap. Insurance is only $650 a year btw

Just saying :like:

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The amount of money I spent on a set of Wheels with TPMS and Blizzaks ( $1500) I could have bought a beater but I didn't and I drove the Mustang as a Daily. Luckily only hit 1 snow storm that year.

2nd year I bought a 99 GMC Sonoma truck for $1500 and I sold that extra set of Wheels and Snow tires.

Liked having a truck so much that I upgraded that the 3rd year for a 2010 Silverado Regular Cab 4x4 . Going on my 3rd winter with the Silverado and I just love it and the Mustang says thank you.

Not for nothing but I really like having a 2nd vehicle that I can park anywhere and not give a crap if someone dings it up. Also good for hauling crap. Insurance is only $650 a year btw

It's no fun driving a special car like a bullitt as a daily in the winter.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line

Is that full cover?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Just my opinion and god knows my opinion goes against popular opinion when it comes to cars... LOL . Just drive it. Man I live in NC and as anyone knows if you just mention snowflakes here they loose thier minds and close the counties down. there are runs on milk and bread of biblical levels and they start spraying everything down with a salt slurry chemical mix that will eat paint off the roads. I drive in it every year and my cars fine no rust. and Ive done nothing special to it. all I do is go through the car wash(touchless) with the undercarriage sprays.

My other car we lived on the beach for 7 years and had to drive through standing salt water twice a day during high tide ( live don an island) and salted roads (inland) in winter and still no rust even though it was bombarded with salt 24/7 and didn't do anything special. I think people worry to much. These newer cars have corrosion protection on them its not like the cars from the 50s to the 90s that rusted out in a few years.

Just maintain it and wash it at a wash with an undercarriage washer. I mean sure some added protection cant hurt but the ones that store it away for 6 moths like a golden idol form Indian jones I think yall take it a bit far :) I get it don't be offended its your baby I just think its unnessiasry. you bought a car to drive it not look at it in a garage.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I daily drive my Mustang in Cleveland winters and so far still looks great underneath. I get the undercarriage sprayed off at least once a week at my local touch less car wash and I think that is the key.
This is exactly the key, its what i do as well and I drive all winter with no other protections and my underside is rust free.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Yup the body panels have corrosion inhibitors on them before they are painted. Its why mustangs come with a 5 year corrosion warranty that has unlimited mileage. Read the warranties if the car rusts at all in the first 5 years they fix it. PLus these newer metal amalgamations they use in an of themselves are corrosion resistant before the treatments. Most new cars dont need rust protection or to be worried about. Just wash the things and your fine.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yup the body panels have corrosion inhibitors on them before they are painted. Its why mustangs come with a 5 year corrosion warranty that has unlimited mileage. Read the warranties if the car rusts at all in the first 5 years they fix it. PLus these newer metal amalgamations they use in an of themselves are corrosion resistant before the treatments. Most new cars dont need rust protection or to be worried about. Just wash the things and your fine.

no rust isn’t a problem. It’s all the other things I mentioned above. Chips, suspension, bent or dented rims,. Plows destroy the roads up north. Leave holes that will swallow your car. Especially if you live in the city. Ohio is better than Michigan but still.
Sponsored