Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
Hi,
What’s the going rate for a set of used (~15k miles/1.5 years old, in good condition)? I’m shortly taking delivery of a new one with active exhaust so won’t be needing them!

Anyone removed and refitted the standard back boxes? If so, what did you do just buy a straight section to join them back together?
Sponsored

CraigJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 97 Westfield SEW
I paid £425 for mine just the other week secondhand. Gives you an idea.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Got mine for £350 second hand, bargain :)

OP
OP
Leeroy

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
So worth a few quid then and worth talking off before I trade her in☹

Not sure how successful refitting the standard boxes is going to be though...

Last edited:

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think with the cut point on the Roush, you will struggle to refit. I tried sleeve clamps, but it’s too close to the bend to get a secure joint. You might need brackets welding on or there are a few members here wanting rid of complete systems

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
fit my standard cat back? - cheap if you want it? (its currently propping up my garden shed!)

OP
OP
Leeroy

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
I think with the cut point on the Roush, you will struggle to refit. I tried sleeve clamps, but it’s too close to the bend to get a secure joint. You might need brackets welding on or there are a few members here wanting rid of complete systems
Yeah, I have some sleeves and will give it a bash....Already got them clamped to the backbox but not convinced they’ll be airtight As long as they’re not blowing too badly I’ll be happy - new owner will be ditching them ASAP anyway

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It’s more likely the angle you’ll struggle with, the sleeves will need to sit at around 90 degrees to the back boxes for a successful fit. If there’s a bit more pipe on the original mufflers you might be in luck, there was just no ‘straight’ on mine, but then they were cut for ford performance mufflers, so that could differ from Roush. Let us know how you get on

OP
OP
Leeroy

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Right, an update. Had no chance of fitting the old backboxes with the sleeves on my back with limited tools so went to local tyre spot and paid them the princely sum of £45 to weld the old boxes back in place! They used the sleeves I bought and cut them down to make a joining section.

Then had the awful job of driving for the next few days with the stock boxes in place:shock: Forgot how utterly shite they were