Rock dents (pock marks) in Lower Coolers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT500
Good Afternoon,

On my 2020 I noticed I'm starting to get some decent pock marks in my lower coolers on the two sides from gravel hitting them. With the coolers being silver they dents really stand out in the sun. Is anyone else having this problem and is there anything that can be done to eliminate or reduce the amount of gravel that can hit them. I know it's not good to disturb the airflow but I'm afraid they're just going to continue to get hit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
They make combs, you can run through the fins. Does fair job straightening them out

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I know some of you GT500 guys despise the ZL1 ( 🤪 ), but it comes with stainless steel mesh guards mounted on the side coolers from the factory to protect them since the opening in the front is completely open (no screen). The wire mesh is spaced about 3/16"x3/16" on center, give or take. See image below from my ZL1.

The screen in the GT500 opening has bigger spacing, letting larger rocks through than a finer mesh.

You could look into either covering the cooler itself with something like the ZL1 does to supplement the factory mesh on the bumper cover opening, or replace the wire mesh that covers the opening with a closer spaced stainless steel wire mesh to keep more rocks out (with some small ones still making their way through, but doing less damage).

I'm sure eventually my radiator and intercooler heat exchanger will start getting rock dents in them since the large middle grille on the ZL1 is pretty open as well.

1616799441497.png

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT500
I know some of you GT500 guys despise the ZL1 ( 🤪 ), but it comes with stainless steel mesh guards mounted on the side coolers from the factory to protect them since the opening in the front is completely open (no screen). The wire mesh is spaced about 3/16"x3/16" on center, give or take. See image below from my ZL1.

The screen in the GT500 opening has bigger spacing, letting larger rocks through than a finer mesh.

You could look into either covering the cooler itself with something like the ZL1 does to supplement the factory mesh on the bumper cover opening, or replace the wire mesh that covers the opening with a closer spaced stainless steel wire mesh to keep more rocks out (with some small ones still making their way through, but doing less damage).

I'm sure eventually my radiator and intercooler heat exchanger will start getting rock dents in them since the large middle grille on the ZL1 is pretty open as well.

1616799441497.png
I wish someone would make an aftermarket setup similar to what you have on the ZL1. Also yours are set back and not quite as pronounced as the GT500's.
Sponsored