Road trip: Seattle to Vegas

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Had the whole family in a Suburban headed back to Austin after Christmas going south on I-35 and almost bought it on black ice. I saw a guy on the side of the road that looked like he was bowing and didn't realize he was telling me to slow down due to black ice. I needed a new pair of shorts after that.

It's rare but can happen in TX. That said, I'll take Austin weather over Seattle (and most everything else Austin over Seattle).
Oh it for sure can happen here. I'm in Houston and its been a good minute since we've had freezing temps. About a year ago we had a pretty bad ice storm... Well for us pretty bad ice storm lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Watch out for black ice in the Willamette Valley. Also, the pass from Sunny Valley to Grants Pass can be really bad as well. I've driven from Snohomish to Grants pass 20+ times during the holidays taking the family to the in-laws in Grants Pass but always in my 4x4 Titan rice burner.
That's a really good point about Grants Pass. I didn't realize it was so high in elevation.

I'm now playing with the idea of driving west from Eugene, OR. to Flourence, OR if I have to - to the 101 then take this south to Crescent City, CA

That lets me sidestep Grants Pass if I have to, but if the weather isn't bad we may just stick with the original plan.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
So I reserved all of the hotels/motels. The ones on the way up and back (4 nights on the road) I can cancel the day of in case we change our minds. Then it's staying at the Bellagio for 3 nights (Christmas gift for the wife). Depending on the weather through Grants Pass we'll most likely head straight up I-5 on the way back from Fresno - slightly different path than going down using the 101 from Crescent City through Bakersfield.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I drove the 101 from Los Angeles to Merced back in 1990. Although the view was great, traffic and towns made the trip long and not that special. I would swing by to drive the Monterey 17 mile scenic drive on the return trip.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
I drove the 101 from Los Angeles to Merced back in 1990. Although the view was great, traffic and towns made the trip long and not that special. I would swing by to drive the Monterey 17 mile scenic drive on the return trip.
Ah good to know...

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sponsored