Sponsored

Ride issues (Bounciness, jittery) with GT non-PP auto

ppiamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT yellow A6 50th AP 3.55
Hello,
I need some expert advise with my GT non-PP auto. I am new to to this so please keep that in mind. I have had the car 5 weeks and I love everything about it expect the ride. The ride seems soft, bouncy and the front end seem jittery over every bump. Is this normal? I have been reading and trying to figure out what to do to correct this, however, there are a lot of opinions out there to sort through.
So far it is still stock, however, I have ordered a Ford Racing strut stabilizer that I will install this week as a start.

I want a well balance suspension on a 44K car. My 2012 2SS Camaro could run circles around this GT in the handling department all while not feeling like I was on a mechanical bull. The advice I have received so far is to install a FRPP suspension pack or a Steeda handling pack. Would this correct for the bounciness and jittery handling? I am asking too much out of the new chassis?
Thank you.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,
I need some expert advise with my GT non-PP auto. I am new to to this so please keep that in mind. I have had the car 5 weeks and I love everything about it expect the ride. The ride seems soft, bouncy and the front end seem jittery over every bump. Is this normal? I have been reading and trying to figure out what to do to correct this, however, there are a lot of opinions out there to sort through.
So far it is still stock, however, I have ordered a Ford Racing strut stabilizer that I will install this week as a start.

I want a well balance suspension on a 44K car. My 2012 2SS Camaro could run circles around this GT in the handling department all while not feeling like I was on a mechanical bull. The advice I have received so far is to install a FRPP suspension pack or a Steeda handling pack. Would this correct for the bounciness and jittery handling? I am asking too much out of the new chassis?
Thank you.
This helps a lot with the front end feeling 'jittery'. Did you get the whole kit or just the strut bar?

Do you have 18", 19" or 20" wheels? The base 18" tires do nothing to help with the handling (they're pretty crappy and don't have much grip but do have a very stiff construction). I have a non-PP car as well and I've added the FR strut tower kit (including K-brace), PP rear sway bar and PP rear dampers. The handling of the car is much improved, but it still needs more spring all around. Overall these cars are a little clumsy at low speeds, but wake up when you start to push them.

OP
OP

ppiamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi BmacIL,

I bought the whole kit (2 pieces) for the strut stab. I have 19in 255 front and back P Zeros(50th Ann Rims) . I am thinking of going for the FRPP or steeda handling kit as a whole package...What do you think? Would it have good handling with those tires and rims?

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
I have noticed the exact same thing on my non PP car.

I have steeda progressives at home waiting to go and thinking of adding the PP rear dampers. I wish BMac had springs as well so he could report if most of the bounce is gone with doing both springs + PP rear dampers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I do actually have the PP springs...just haven't installed them yet. I really don't want to lower the car as it'll be my DD and I need to keep ground clearance for the winter. I asked Steeda if they had any plans to do a non-lowering (or very, very slight, <0.5") performance spring, and they said they'd get back, but no answer yet.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hi BmacIL,

I bought the whole kit (2 pieces) for the strut stab. I have 19in 255 front and back P Zeros(50th Ann Rims) . I am thinking of going for the FRPP or steeda handling kit as a whole package...What do you think? Would it have good handling with those tires and rims?
It'd definitely be better on the 19" tires, as they're 20 mm wider (they produce 0.07 more lateral G than the 18"). Both the FRPP and Steeda handling packs have the same aim, so it's more about which one works best for you. To get the most out of the Steeda kit, you'd want to get the PP dampers too. The FRPP kit includes new dampers.

The best thing you can do for handling is tires. Good summer tires make a huge difference. 255 is just enough width on this car for decent handling (265+ preferable). I can't believe they put 235s on the base car :crazy:.

OP
OP

ppiamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the advise. So it sounds like I am on the right track then with the Steeda or FRPP handling package. One time in the shop and do it all. It is a shame I have spend another 2k to get it to handle like a sports car but I guess that is the way it goes. I would of bought the PPack in a second with the auto, but I drive 2 to 3 hours a day in brutle traffic, zero fun to deal with a manual 5 days a week. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Ford doesnt allow you to order the PP with an auto? Ok...rant done :)

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
For the life of me, I cannot understand why Ford doesnt allow you to order the PP with an auto? Ok...rant done :)
Yeah, like they don't want to sell you the $1200 trans AND the $2500 PerfPack?

We have speculated that the trans won't hold up to long track days - would require additional cooling that is not offered. Other than that, :shrug:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the advise. So it sounds like I am on the right track then with the Steeda or FRPP handling package. One time in the shop and do it all. It is a shame I have spend another 2k to get it to handle like a sports car but I guess that is the way it goes. I would of bought the PPack in a second with the auto, but I drive 2 to 3 hours a day in brutle traffic, zero fun to deal with a manual 5 days a week. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Ford doesnt allow you to order the PP with an auto? Ok...rant done :)
To be fair, I don't really think you need to put the entire handling packs on to make the car handle like a sports car. Springs, bars and PP rear dampers will make it feel great (in addition to the strut tower brace kit you already got). I'd start there and add more if you think it's necessary.

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I have non PP and 20"s with the K brace. I am happy.

I have to drive on a 1.3 mile parkway every time i leave or go to my house. This parkway was pured wrong and every expantion joint is missaligned. Doing this on a stiff suspention car would be un liveavble.

I have considered adding the strut tower brace, and the sub frame k brace to tie it all in.

OP
OP

ppiamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am thinking the same thing BmacIL. Do it all once and be done with it.

As a note GTP...Ford did allow you to build a PP with an auto in the 50th anniversery model....but not the 50th appereance package. Go figure?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Yep. I found a Kona Blue LE high-s/n automatic one state over selling at invoice! Absolutely beautiful car, inside and out.

Still, it was $7k over my ordered car, and didn't come fully loaded as I expected. So they charge you a premium for the limited edition aspect (and coffee table book, car cover, etc.).

I wondered if I would be afraid to drive it, to keep the miles down. Or to not drive it spirited.

With the ordered car, I felt more like "it's mine".
Sponsored