Sponsored

Replacing Ecoboost non-PP front brakes with GT Base/Ecoboost PP Brakes - Questions?

NotSo"Eco"Boost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
Hey guys, I have a Ecoboost Premium non-PP and I'm looking to upgrade the from brake calipers and rotors with the 4-piston ones that come on the Base GT and Ecoboost PP. I have searched the forum, and some of this questions are answered partially, but I'd like to get some more detail.

Most of my driving consists of city/highway, but when the weather is nice I usually like to go with for some spirited driving on hilly back roads. I currently have the 18" wheels with all-seasons, but I recently bought a set of the 20" foundry oem wheels and tires. I have no plans on tracking the car. So for my questions:

1. I am planning on purchasing a take-off set from eBay. From what I've read they should just bolt on with the existing brakes lines and nothing else needed, is this true? Besides the calipers and rotors, do I need anything else?

2. The rear brake caliper is slightly smaller on the non-PP than the PP, will the bigger brakes upfront upset the front/rear braking bias?

3. The replacement will be done by a friend who is a mechanic with the right tools and stuff. Any disadvantages of messing with the factory install of the brakes?

4. Is this even worth it based on my setup and daily use?

Anybody who has done this please chip in with your experience and if I missed anything, any information is much appreciated.

Thanks guys :)
Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I don't know what kind of "take off" sets are being sold on eBay, but maybe my experience can answer a couple of your questions. I just today installed a set of front base GT brakes that I bought off of another member on this site. The set was calipers and rotors and nothing else.

To answer a couple of your questions:

1) You don't need anything else. It's a direct replace and bolt on job; very easy for any DIY mechanic with basic tools and skills. The one thing extra that may be needed: the GT brake rotors are larger so the Ecoboost brake dust shields do not have a large enough diameter to completely shroud the rotor, the GT rotors extend maybe 1/2" outside of the dust shields. I may buy larger dust shields in the future but am not worried about that now and consider it a minor detail.

4) It depends on your definition of "spirited driving". I just went for a test run after installing these and even without doing spirited driving I can tell a difference. I am glad I did the upgrade. If you have felt brake fade from prior spirited drives, I will tell you that yes, this mod is worth it.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've commented in many threads on this. It's been done 100s if not 1000s of times. Please search

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If you really want to take advantage of the complete swap you should also consider changing out the booster and master. Pretty cheap around $70 each. But you will need to bleed the brakes really good afterwards with a good tool like motive bleeder.
Sponsored