Sponsored

Replaced leather seat back cover, for the second time

pigdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium 6MT MM/Saddle
I've now had to replace the leather seat back cover for the drivers side seat for the second time on my 2015 EB. The stitching in the upper left side of the leather seat back came apart, and could not be repaired. The first time warranty covered it. This time no such luck. Replacement cover cost $460, plus $325+ for labor, total of $855. The time for the replacement was under 1.5 hours. This seems way to expensive, both for seat back cover and labor. Anyone have similar experiences. I'm in Ames Iowa area.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I’m thinking that it might have been more prudent to ask this question before you spent $855. That said, yeah you probably paid to much. But water under the bridge at this point.

My question is why did the first seat-back fail? Was it something under the cover or was it wear and tear? Did the second seat-back fail in the same manner. How far out of warranty where you when the second one failed? My point being that maybe you could have fought to have the second one done under warranty.

OP
OP

pigdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium 6MT MM/Saddle
A little 'fill in' info: I noticed the second seat cover tear in April of this year, 2019, with 60k miles. They took pictures and said they would send to Ford to see if they would cover it. I then stopped by the dealer 4 times between April and September, but they kept saying they were still checking, but finally the service manager said it was beyond warranty and Ford would not cover. So I ordered a replacement cover from Ford. Bikeman is correct, I should have asked about labor costs ahead of time. The fail is identical to the first problem. The reason I posted is to see if any others have had this problem, and what it cost them. Thanks in advance.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The S550 upholstery is common on eBay too. Take offs from new or used can be had for less than what Ford is charging retail.

You probably don’t want to hear that, but quite a few M6G members have also bought and replaced (or swapped) the seat upholstery on their own time.

Any pics of the damaged seat cover?

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
A little 'fill in' info: I noticed the second seat cover tear in April of this year, 2019, with 60k miles. They took pictures and said they would send to Ford to see if they would cover it. I then stopped by the dealer 4 times between April and September, but they kept saying they were still checking, but finally the service manager said it was beyond warranty and Ford would not cover. So I ordered a replacement cover from Ford. Bikeman is correct, I should have asked about labor costs ahead of time. The fail is identical to the first problem. The reason I posted is to see if any others have had this problem, and what it cost them. Thanks in advance.
Post some pics so other members can see the issue and comment on it.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The S550 upholstery is common on eBay too. Take offs from new or used can be had for less than what Ford is charging retail.

You probably don’t want to near that, but quite a few M6G members have also bought and replaced (or swapped) the seat upholstery on their own time.

Any pics of the damaged seat cover?
This.

I bought an entire set of "used" take offs from Roush for my 2012 GT, they were $200 and had like 7-14 miles on them.

A set of hog ring pliers, hog rigs and 2 hours of work and I changed my cloth car to a leather one.

If I had to replace the covers on a car and that wasn't an option I would probably pony up for Katskin or something higher quality.
Sponsored