Removing brand new tint?

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
Just got pulled over for tinted windows. :( It was put on last week. Is it easy to take off or should I have the shop do it? I know old tint is a PITA but I'm hoping I can save a few bucks and do it myself. I was thinking blow dryer and a lot of patience. :doh:
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I had the exact same thing happen to me. Got a ticket a few days after buying the car with dealer installed tints.

I sprayed the inside of the window with 409 all purpose cleaner, cut a black trash bag to the exact shape of the window and stuck it on the inside of the window (the 409 will make it stick in place). Then park the car in the sun and let the windows get real hot. I left mine for about 30-45 mins. Simply pull the trash bag off and it will remove the tint film as well.

Then use rubbing alcohol to remove any stubborn adhesive residue left on the window.

Be sure to cut the bottom edge of the trash bag long enough so you can tuck it behind the bottom window seal, and get a nice clean finish.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Super easy way to remove tint: hand-held steamer like the Shark. Just spray the steam on the tint and peel it right off.

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
I had the exact same thing happen to me. Got a ticket a few days after buying the car with dealer installed tints.

I sprayed the inside of the window with 409 all purpose cleaner, cut a black trash bag to the exact shape of the window and stuck it on the inside of the window (the 409 will make it stick in place). Then park the car in the sun and let the windows get real hot. I left mine for about 30-45 mins. Simply pull the trash bag off and it will remove the tint film as well.

Then use rubbing alcohol to remove any stubborn adhesive residue left on the window.

Be sure to cut the bottom edge of the trash bag long enough so you can tuck it behind the bottom window seal, and get a nice clean finish.
Super easy way to remove tint: hand-held steamer like the Shark. Just spray the steam on the tint and peel it right off.
Thank you, folks! I'd forgotten about the 409 and trash bag trick. I'll certainly give it a try.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Go to your eye doctor hungover and complain about being blinded at night and during the day by sudden light changes, mention phototobia. Then get eye doc to write "prescription" for your percentage window tint. Problem solved next time you're pulled over.

Sponsored

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
Go to your eye doctor hungover and complain about being blinded at night and during the day by sudden light changes, mention phototobia. Then get eye doc to write "prescription" for your percentage window tint. Problem solved next time you're pulled over.
I've heard it's extremely difficult to get a doctor to go along with this. And honestly, I'm not sure I have the guts to...well, lie. In a way, however, it's not a lie as I am a bit light sensitive. I just can't see me doing what you mention. lol Anyway, it's not going to happen again. I broke my rule of rolling down both windows when near law enforcement. When he passed me on the left I had my driver window down, then he had pulled off the highway so I thought I was good. Nope!:frusty:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Well, in my case, I am not lying. I have to have the tint. But at each eye doc I went to, they all were nonchalant about it.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
I've heard it's extremely difficult to get a doctor to go along with this. And honestly, I'm not sure I have the guts to...well, lie. In a way, however, it's not a lie as I am a bit light sensitive. I just can't see me doing what you mention. lol Anyway, it's not going to happen again. I broke my rule of rolling down both windows when near law enforcement. When he passed me on the left I had my driver window down, then he had pulled off the highway so I thought I was good. Nope!:frusty:
the old off ramp on ramp trick...

DJ Red Barron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat / 1986 Buick GN
The degree of difficulty in obtaining a prescription for tint varies from state to state. It used to be pretty easy in Louisiana. But since the state loves the revenue generated from tickets, the troopers have shaken down most doctors and "influenced" them to stop writing scripts, even for those who actually need them.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I use a steamer on the outside of the window so I don't make a mess in the interior and the tint pulls right off.

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / 2023 GT4
Man, F California. That's the only state who I hear this kind of crap happening. If you can't get your hands on a steamer, they make tint off spray. You can use that and a razor blade and it will get it off. Sucks.
Sponsored