Sponsored

Removed Hydrocarbon filter from factory airbox...

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
Over the weekend I cleaned my K&N air filter. While I had it apart I used a dremel to remove the hydrocarbon filter that's mounted in the top air box housing. I definitely got the idea from this forum. I can't say if it is a placebo effect or I'm just listening harder, but my exhaust seems to have changed a hair. Mainly on up-shifts, but it seems to pop more. It has always popped on cold days just a bit every now and then on up-shifts, since I installed the Stainless Works regular catback with H-pipe. The popping seemed to happen randomly but only on up-shifts every now and then. Well now it seems to pop more often on up-shifts even in marginally warmer weather compared to cold days before. Marginal meaning 40F vs 60F today. Not sure if I have more power, because it has only been a few days and about 75 miles since with mild throttle. However any gain should be small but in theory it should be an improvement. Just thought I'd share my experience. It gave me something to tinker with while the filter dried for a day or so.
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Over the weekend I cleaned my K&N air filter. While I had it apart I used a dremel to remove the hydrocarbon filter that's mounted in the top air box housing. I definitely got the idea from this forum. I can't say if it is a placebo effect or I'm just listening harder, but my exhaust seems to have changed a hair. Mainly on up-shifts, but it seems to pop more. It has always popped on cold days just a bit every now and then on up-shifts, since I installed the Stainless Works regular catback with H-pipe. The popping seemed to happen randomly but only on up-shifts every now and then. Well now it seems to pop more often on up-shifts even in marginally warmer weather compared to cold days before. Marginal meaning 40F vs 60F today. Not sure if I have more power, because it has only been a few days and about 75 miles since with mild throttle. However any gain should be small but in theory it should be an improvement. Just thought I'd share my experience. It gave me something to tinker with while the filter dried for a day or so.

I took the easy way out since I am still under warranty:
I bought a second air box from Levittown Ford. The replacement part does NOT include the carbon filter. It was not expensive, and if I ever have an emissions problem, I just pop the version on with the carbon filter on it. I also got the idea from guys over in England that did it.

BTW...it will cause a little more sound coming through the sound tube. however, i cannot verify a legit horsepower increase...but I like it anyway!

CVCashmere

OP
OP
RacinJason

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
Bright idea! I saw the QR code on the box, but I didn't scan it. Do you have that part number? What did it look like inside? I ask because after baby cutting the filter out there were plastic mounts that defiantly were not for reinforcement. It seemed ok that way, but I went ahead and removed as much as I could. If the replacement doesn't come with the filter, I doubt the filter removal will void any warranty. Better safe than sorry. Me ... well I'm screwed if a cat melts and they blame the filter... Ugh!!

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Bright idea! I saw the QR code on the box, but I didn't scan it. Do you have that part number? What did it look like inside? I ask because after baby cutting the filter out there were plastic mounts that defiantly were not for reinforcement. It seemed ok that way, but I went ahead and removed as much as I could. If the replacement doesn't come with the filter, I doubt the filter removal will void any warranty. Better safe than sorry. Me ... well I'm screwed if a cat melts and they blame the filter... Ugh!!
Honestly, if you're super worried about the warranty and don't want a full open CAI, then the power pack 1 might be a good idea for you. I'm actually aiming for the power pack 2 since I have the bbq tick and I want that warranty for as long as possible (or until I can get a shortblock built with an aftermarket rotating assembly since MMR thinks the root cause is factory piston wall clearance being way out of normal spec)
Sponsored