Sponsored

Recaro leather seats vs. standard leather (heated/cooled)

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
From what we've read/heard, the standard leather seats in the S550 are much improved with better hip and shoulder bolstering and better/stiffer padding.
Sponsored

bpang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WRX, '11 Forester and '15 Forester
This has been the choice I've struggled with as well. I feel the Recaros look fantastic and top off that aggressive sports car look. The grip/feel (based on the current S197 leather Recaros) was very good indeed - I'm used to American cars having wide squishy and loose seats. I tried the standard Premium S197 sets, felt squishy and lose.

The issue for me in Seattle is the Recaros are not heated, which is strange given the Fiesta ST and Focus ST have heated thrones - while the standards are heated and cooled (which as folks mentioned we are paying for). Additionally, the standards apparently have improved bolstering but looking at the photos of the new interior I think I would like more.

Long story short I went with the Recaros. What convinced me was
1) the look 2) I'm 5-10 and the Recaros fit me like a glove, the standards do have to accommodate everyone 3) I felt more connected to the S197 with the Recaros Vs w/o (and my friends cloth Recaros in the Boss 302 were very good in AutoX). It's a horrible feeling to brace yourself against the door in a manual car while trying to navigate high G turns 4) The Recaros maybe lighter (??) 5) I'm trying to build more of a sports car (will use as a daily commuter and weekend racer) rather than a Grand Tourer (drive around the US - I hesitate to do that with a car with small range like the Stang and no spare tire!), and this felt inline with that spirit (already have a super comfy SUV) 6) If I got the regular seats but wanted to do aftermarkets I dont think they come with airbag integration 7) Lastly, it appealed to me emotionally and this car is an emotional purchase for me at the end of the day.

I made some inquiries and installing heated pads in the Recaros is something a lot of shops can do, but it involves some surgery on the seats and I'm not particularly keen on that idea.
With all due respect...Seattle, you wimps don't know nothing about no cold weather. What do you need to warm your buns while you blow on your latte?

:headbonk::love::p

<----Spokane.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
With all due respect...Seattle, you wimps don't know nothing about no cold weather. What do you need to warm your buns while you blow on your latte?

:headbonk::love::p

<----Spokane.
LOL. True that. I will be the first to admit the weather out here is mild!!!

MustangMitch

Day One Order Placer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Competition Orange
I haven't seen any good pictures of the 50th anniversary edition seats...they are different than the LE since they're all black, I know that. Do you know of any good pics out there?
I've not, just going off what the dealer told me. He said it would be the same style and logo as in the 50th LE but solid black all over, which I think looks awesome. I don't like the Recaro's and I am not tiny so they were never an option for me anyhow so I am pleased with the choice.

Sponsored

bpang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WRX, '11 Forester and '15 Forester
LOL. True that. I will be the first to admit the weather out here is mild!!!
Truth be told, I will probably move to the west side at some point in the next few years.

Too damned cold here in the winters and shoveling snow sucks donkey-balls.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I have a question. There are 2 different (IMO) memory modes for the premium seats.

1. Seats backs returning to their previous tilt/inclination after letting someone in or out of the back seat.
2. Electronic-based seating position (possibly mirrors too?) remembered based on saving it.

Do the Recaro's have the first one? I was contemplating changing my order to the Recaro's since I plan on autox-ing this thing, but I really want that first option back. My older Mustangs had it, but my 2011 and 2013 did not and it's been quite annoying.

juzef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
curretly a 2014 CRV :(
Will the Recaro's passenger seat have up down adjustments? I'm no big fan of power seats but my 2010 GT didn't allow the passenger to adjust verticle and I realized how much this really sucks after sitting in the them once. They sit really low with little visibility out of the windshield and windows.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I *think* they will. It says 4-way manual adjustment, which to me means forward, back, up and down.

juzef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
curretly a 2014 CRV :(
Mustang Seats assumes the driver is selfish?

I *think* they will. It says 4-way manual adjustment, which to me means forward, back, up and down.

Reading the 2015 manual, it says 2 way manual adjustable for the passenger even for leather premium package. It seems, the passenger only gets 4-way adjustable only for head rests.

At least ad a manual vertical adjust for the passenger. Come on.

Opps, just noticed..the leather seats provide passenger 6-way seat adjust. Don't think the Recaros provide a vertical adjust though. Looks like I won't get the Recaros unless they win me over during test drives.

Sponsored

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Reading the 2015 manual, it says 2 way manual adjustable for the passenger even for leather premium package. It seems, the passenger only gets 4-way adjustable only for head rests.

At least ad a manual vertical adjust for the passenger. Come on.

Opps, just noticed..the leather seats provide passenger 6-way seat adjust. Don't think the Recaros provide a vertical adjust though. Looks like I won't get the Recaros unless they win me over during test drives.
I'll just leave this here with you.
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 8.42.03 AM.png

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I'm think by 4-way they mean forward, back, tilt forward and tilt back. Not up and down.
Correct they're a carry over from the existing car. No height adjustment. While I really like the Recaros in my Shelby I'd consider going with the base seats as they look words better than the current standard seats.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I had the Recaros in my '13. I did not get them when I ordered my '14.

They look great, are comfortable and hold you in place very well. That said, I rapidly got tired of climbing over the side bolster to get out of the car. Just a PITA to have them in a DD. JMHO.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
Heated seats are nice (my wife enjoys them more than I do), but cooled seat to me is a must.
Recaros are nice but they don't breath and I have no use for them. Standard seats with heat/cool feature offers me more. IMHO I think cooled seats are a MUST for men. Gotta keep my boys nice and cool~
Sponsored