Rebuilding AOD Trans?

rehoward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
1989 Mustang 5.0, Saturn Vue, Mazda Miata
I have a 1989 LS 5.0 Mustang with a tired AOD auto trans in it. It's time to get going and rebuild that thing. I have found a dozen rebuild kits on the web from $120 to $350 and wonder why the big discrepancy? Can anyone recommend a high quality brand to buy, one without a mysteriously inflated price?

Also, I haven't rebuilt an auto before but I have a ton of experience working on cars and motorcycles. I can do this! Anyone have some sage advice as how to approach this task? I bought George Reid's book "Ford AOD Transmissions" and he makes it look pretty straightforward. Wouldn't hurt to ask for tips before I get started though.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

onefastmf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
james
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue
Haven't been in the AOD game for a long time, but when i was, lentech was the shit, so id look into what they have.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I also the AOD in my ‘93 LX 5.0.

As you’re probably aware, the AOD was never designed as a performance transmission.
In stock configuration, it was plagued by input shaft failures, valve body malfunctions/soft shift qualities and a troublesome throttle body cable that if not properly adjusted would burnout the transmission.

Back in the day, I had a performance rebuild performed by Level 10 Transmissions in Hamburg, NJ with a solid input shaft, HD “A” OD band, HD clutches and plates, shift kit, a 3000 stall converter, etc. They also installed a 3.73 rear differential gear.
Even with this rebuild, it never shifted with the precision, firmness and quickness that I desired.
If you still plan to pursue the AOD route, I would strongly recommend the rebuild include all of the upgraded AODE/4R70W parts including the solid input shaft and low ratio gearset. I also strongly recommend a Baumann valve body and shift kit.

Last March, I purchased a ‘65 Fastback powered by a 525 hp 408W and backed up by a TCI AOD.
The car was build between 2005-2006 and the AOD failed in 2013 with less than 10,000 miles on the the drivetrain. The AOD was rebuilt by AAMCO. So in reality, my car had an AAMCO AOD and it shifted like shit.
It now now has a PA C4 with a GearVenders OD unit and it shifts with precision and authority in all gears...another option to consider.

Best of luck!

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I would suggest you watch this persons video to get the feel of what's needed/required in the rebuild process.
Then you'll understand your AOD book better.

As for parts, kits are made differently depending on what you need to change after disassembly. Eg; Sometimes clutch disc's aren't required so you'll buy a cheaper priced overhaul kit without clutches. You can find parts lists online from companies such as ; http://www.kingomatic.com/catalogues
Then you can usually find a transmission parts supplier in you city that will stock the parts for you or you can buy online.
Sponsored