OP
OP
First Stang

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I am quite convinced that the bigger reason to get the 550 is the more advanced technology of the 660. At some point, tech will become too intrusive. I just recently found out about the ‘pay to use’ features being incorporated into stellantis and bmw cars and I have no doubt that the performance of future cars (660 possibly) could be locked out by the software. Fordpass is pretty disturbing as it is. How much more when it has a direct link to the car’s functions. Speed limiter anyone?
Sponsored

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
A number of reasons I ordered a 2023 M1 6-speed. I always buy cars at least a few years into their run. If you've watched the documentary "A Faster Horse" there is a conversation all car manufacturers have when building a new model. Something to the effect of "There isn't any more money, period. Whatever you want to do, (read fix or improve) the money has to be taken from somewhere else in the car." As they sell cars and get a large infusion of cash to support the model they get funds to address unforeseen issues inevitable in the new clean sheet design. The second is the appearance. I love the look of the S550. Inside and out. More switches, for high usage items, fewer screen interfaces. I really don't like the 2024 Tesla dash. on steroids The current dash is the perfect meld of old and new. I couldn't be more excited.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A number of reasons I ordered a 2023 M1 6-speed. I always buy cars at least a few years into their run. If you've watched the documentary "A Faster Horse" there is a conversation all car manufacturers have when building a new model. Something to the effect of "There isn't any more money, period. Whatever you want to do, (read fix or improve) the money has to be taken from somewhere else in the car." As they sell cars and get a large infusion of cash to support the model they get funds to address unforeseen issues inevitable in the new clean sheet design. The second is the appearance. I love the look of the S550. Inside and out. More switches, for high usage items, fewer screen interfaces. I really don't like the 2024 Tesla dash. on steroids The current dash is the perfect meld of old and new. I couldn't be more excited.
totally agree with you assessment. I'm so glad I have analog gauges and a car I actually have to drive vs numbing out with tech. My neighbor took me for a ride in his Tesla.. .did a couple zero to sixty pulls.. felt like I was in a golf cart...or a tram in chicago.... no emotional feeling/connection at all.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
totally agree with you assessment. I'm so glad I have analog gauges and a car I actually have to drive vs numbing out with tech. My neighbor took me for a ride in his Tesla.. .did a couple zero to sixty pulls.. felt like I was in a golf cart...or a tram in chicago.... no emotional feeling/connection at all.
But you don't have analogue gauges. They haven't been for years, just electronic imitations. There is no physical connection to the speedo / rev counter / fuel gauge etc

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I am quite convinced that the bigger reason to get the 550 is the more advanced technology of the 660. At some point, tech will become too intrusive. I just recently found out about the ‘pay to use’ features being incorporated into stellantis and bmw cars and I have no doubt that the performance of future cars (660 possibly) could be locked out by the software. Fordpass is pretty disturbing as it is. How much more when it has a direct link to the car’s functions. Speed limiter anyone?
Disturbing?

Speed limiters are mandated in some countries already and will be in Europe in a couple of years

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
But you don't have analogue gauges. They haven't been for years, just electronic imitations. There is no physical connection to the speedo / rev counter / fuel gauge etc
my apologies.. you are correct, but they are analog in appearance, no digital screen taking up your whole car. And they are located in the traditional placement

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
1985 Renault Turbo Fuego
I have a Mach 1 on order and am torn between it and a '24 dark horse.

I like the modernized infotainment in the S650, but really wish they had managed to preserve the character of the mustang interior.

I think the biggest things the S650 has going for it are improved steering and handling, 4th gen coyote improvements, brembos all around, and updated technology.

WW2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium 401A
Auto-Start-Stop is reason enough for me not to get the S650. I know you can cut it off but its just the principle.......hate all that CAFE shit that does nothing to improve real world MPGs

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Auto-Start-Stop is reason enough for me not to get the S650. I know you can cut it off but its just the principle.......hate all that CAFE shit that does nothing to improve real world MPGs
On the contrary stop start makes a significant difference. Even a 4 cylinder engine uses around 3 litres per hour of petrol. Multiply all those stop start traffic queues globally and it saves millions of litres of fuel. In an auto box car it has no impact on driving at all if the system is a good one (and Ford do seem to have cracked it)

WW2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium 401A
If I had an interest in this tree-hugger CAFE nonsense, I would buy a Prius. Mustang GT with Auto-Start-Stop, no thanks. Cylinder deactivation .. light weight oils, all that stuff is non-sense in the real world...

This crap only works on paper for the CAFE numbers bean counters.. I guess we are lucky to still have the V8 at all....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
If I had an interest in this tree-hugger CAFE nonsense, I would buy a Prius. Mustang GT with Auto-Start-Stop, no thatnks. Cylinder deactivation .. light weight oils, all that stuff is non-sense in the real world...

This crap only works on paper for the CAFE numbers bean counters.. I guess we are lucky to still have the V8 at all....
But evidence suggests to the contrary in the real world.

You don't have to buy a Prius. The modern Mustang is massively more efficient than the old ones because of that very technology. Modern oils can be 'thinner' because that is the way the engine is designed (because of CAD) The world moves on or you would all still be driving 7 litre V8's putting out 150PS and doing 7mpg. The olden days were not all they were cracked up to be - I know, I was there!

Goz63

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350 dually, 2018 F150 KR, 2023 Mustang GT
I personally like the retro with modern blend of the S550. I think you will almost have to have the lane keep assist with the S650 while you play with the iPad going down the road. i really like the toggles for the mode changes in the S550. If I want to quickly change I can with virtually no concentration loss from the road. Now in the S650 I think you will have to change your focus to the touch screen. As I type this I am on an iPad and theses screens aren’t perfect. Sometimes it doesn’t register the touch accurately or at all. Not so great when driving and you have to visually make sure it worked. A toggle switch has tactile feedback that for me makes it safer to use. The S650 almost needs a copilot to run the digital interface while someone else drives.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I personally like the retro with modern blend of the S550. I think you will almost have to have the lane keep assist with the S650 while you play with the iPad going down the road. i really like the toggles for the mode changes in the S550. If I want to quickly change I can with virtually no concentration loss from the road. Now in the S650 I think you will have to change your focus to the touch screen. As I type this I am on an iPad and theses screens aren’t perfect. Sometimes it doesn’t register the touch accurately or at all. Not so great when driving and you have to visually make sure it worked. A toggle switch has tactile feedback that for me makes it safer to use. The S650 almost needs a copilot to run the digital interface while someone else drives.
I think the S650 replicates the toggles with switches in a similar position for similar functions.

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
My personal opinion — don't buy an S650 if you already have a S550 with a V8. Wait for the mid-cycle refresh. They'll fix everything everyone complains about with the car right now, maybe add a few new features, and then it may be more worthwhile to upgrade.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Ford has done a masterful job of repackaging and convincing the sheep that it's a whole new product.

I'm not certain that I would pick the S650 over the current offerings even IF the price were the same.

Given that Ford will almost certainly charge more (and considerably more) it's a no brainer.

I have YET to see ANYTHING concrete (please spare me the media unveiling quotes, until Ford announces ACTUAL performance numbers, it's all pillow talk) to convince me that the S650 is an improvement or more than just incremental improvements.

1) Styling. This is your choice and your opinion, maybe you value it and think it's better, maybe you don't.
2) The Infotainment. While I think the new EV style screens are cool and definitely an improvement, I'd rate it as still "incremental" or style and while it's more technologically advanced, the actual design seems a bit herky/jerky or forced into the mustang Cabin. It screams "we took something that we can use across multiple models and jammed it into the mustang." It definitely doesn't look like an organic or ground up design. It looks like someone handed the mustang team the screens and said "make this work."
3) Powertrain. Spare me. I've heard "around 500" and nothing I've seen is official numbers. And it remains to be seen whether that's the "Darkhorse" model or the regular GT. The reason Ford had to go with 2 intakes is because the EPA and their incessant bullshit have forced the carbon capture inserts. Ford couldn't create an intake tube large enough to keep the carbon capture from being a detrimental restriction (with limited dimensions in one direction) so they split the tube into two. The end result is yes, you get 2 intakes and throttle bodies. And the bad part is yes, you have two intake and throttle bodies to now contend with. (we could spend an entire page as to why that's not exactly a good thing). Bottom line is that they're only offering the 3160 as an option (same as the current offerings) and other than incremental tweaks to the suspension tuning, the entire drivetrain in my view (until OFFICIALLY refuted) isn't any appreciable upgrade.
4) Tuning. This is a big deal. Yes, Ford will eventually offer canned packages from Whipple and possibly others. But it'll be very limited to what you see now from Roush (warrantable). Furthermore, until someone cracks the PCM, there will be no significant performance upgrades outside of what Ford allows (and charges you handsomely for). Lastly, EVEN IF they crack it, with all the mother ship, nanny state, remote updating and diagnostics, it remains to be seen whether an aftermarket tune would work without wonking the car out (or informing Ford). Basically, even if they crack it (which has YET to be accomplished for the DCT) it may still not be an option because of all the remote tentacles incorporated. It needs to communicate, to what extent remains to be seen.

So, after all that, if you want a car you won't be able to significantly modify and you like the styling and you dig the incremental improvements, maybe paying $10k more for a base GT and $20k more for a "Darkhorse" with the cheezy badging is a smart move.

For most everyone else who's actually an "enthusiast" and wants the freedom of upgrading their car (either now or down the road) with way less limitations, the S550 seems to be the best platform for modifying your pony car.
Sponsored