OP
OP
Sleipner

Sleipner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 Fastback
I've had the differential replaced now too, and the car was good for a week, but now it's starting to clunk again so that is at least ruled out....

Heard a clunk when releasing the clutch on the ramp out of my garage sometimes, after the driveline is already under load due to the incline.
Might be a hint perhaps.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Bad hub bearings or loose axle nuts. Also check to make sure your wheels are torqued to 150 ftlbs..

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I just gave up on the idea of having quiet drivetrain. It’s a ford with ford tolerances. If you bang gears or do burnout, pretty much it’s guaranteed to clunk and ping and ding and vibrate, etc. what I see in all the videos sounds like typical mustang clunk. Lotta people changed to one piece driveshafts, adapters, differentials most to see the clunk comes back within weeks.

OP
OP
Sleipner

Sleipner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 Fastback
I just gave up on the idea of having quiet drivetrain. It’s a ford with ford tolerances. If you bang gears or do burnout, pretty much it’s guaranteed to clunk and ping and ding and vibrate, etc. what I see in all the videos sounds like typical mustang clunk. Lotta people changed to one piece driveshafts, adapters, differentials most to see the clunk comes back within weeks.
Yeah, however I haven't abused it any time except hard accelerations and 1 burnout a long time ago before I swapped wheels. This caused nothing.

Now from the diff was changed until the noise was back it took 3 days under which I drove it for perhaps 2 hours in total - very calmly.

I'm still thinking about driveshaft or half shafts as this is the only thing left :p We'll see - soon time for the workshop again....

OP
OP
Sleipner

Sleipner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 Fastback
Bad hub bearings or loose axle nuts. Also check to make sure your wheels are torqued to 150 ftlbs..
Not those things - have been checked. Also I always use torque wrench when changing tires...

Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Usually if an axle nut is loose or axle joint is bad it will make continuous knocking sound while turning left or right depending which one is loose or axle joint is bad. you kinda answered your question, since you changed the diff (I don't know if you changed internals only or changed the whole pumpkin) it could be that(diff). Oh btw, check to see if your axle splines are completely seated in the differential

OP
OP
Sleipner

Sleipner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 Fastback
Usually if an axle nut is loose or axle joint is bad it will make continuous knocking sound while turning left or right depending which one is loose or axle joint is bad. you kinda answered your question, since you changed the diff (I don't know if you changed internals only or changed the whole pumpkin) it could be that(diff). Oh btw, check to see if your axle splines are completely seated in the differential
It's Ford who's been doing it all under warranty so I can't really say what has been checked or not, although i've raised the question about the shafts... Last thing was an entire new pumpkin and it was much better after and still is, but the clunk has been gradually returned - although less than before which I interpret as a joint where at least 50% of it now might have been fixed. Its in the shop now, so let's see what comes out. I think I'm close to 4 months in the workshop in 3,5 years now.....

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's Ford who's been doing it all under warranty so I can't really say what has been checked or not, although i've raised the question about the shafts... Last thing was an entire new pumpkin and it was much better after and still is, but the clunk has been gradually returned - although less than before which I interpret as a joint where at least 50% of it now might have been fixed. Its in the shop now, so let's see what comes out. I think I'm close to 4 months in the workshop in 3,5 years now.....
OP did you resolve your issue ? This clicking sound is Left Wheel Hub+HalfShaft CV Joint. I replaced mine and went away. Also a good note is that factory lug nuts need replacing from time to time mine slowed from 21 to 22 socket size in the rear left and they need to be tighten to 150 ft-lbs otherwise they back out and then is a matter of time usually not a lot of time before the wheel hub went with them (I replaced 3 left rear wheel hubs in 1 year) hopefully Halfshaft replacement will solve this.

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine does something similar. Had it since I dropped the cradle and swapped in BMR's poly diff bushing kit. Had it so long now i'm used to it but it still annoys me from time to time. Everything seems to check out and it has had no effect on the actual driving of the car apart from the noise. Just assumed it was always there and the stiffer bushings just transferred the NVH so only heard it after the bushings went in. I noticed when I had the car up on jack stands, I could grab the drive shaft and turn it by hand a few degrees then noticed it clunked as it 'engaged' inside the diff housing. First person i've read about that had something similar to mine but it definitely sounds like it's drivetrain related making the clunk when pressing/releasing the clutch.
My car does the exact same thing with diff bushing installed, my car is an automatic 2018 GT. On straight hard pulls it is worth the extra little clunk once and awhile for that well connected gear shift. Gone are the days of that rubbery feeling shifts, if you know what I mean. Car has several other Steeda braces and cradle stuff that all adds up to a little more NVH but it’s all part of the experience
Sponsored