Sponsored

Rear backup cam issues

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
Backup.jpg
Today my camera started giving me a little crap. (see pic). Anyone ever seen this?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Usually most of the backup camera issues have been linked to the main harness in trunk because the length of the harness was too short (or in some cases it was too tight or secured) which causes failure or breakage of the actual wires due to trunk use. Ford does have a TSB out on it and the fix is covered under warranty OR you can do the same fix the Ford Service Center would perform:

1) Pop open trunk lid

2) On passenger side, look for harness coming from under trunk lid and follow it to where it goes under the rear package shelf.

3) Remove the plastic sheathing and examine all of the wires inside the loom from the trunk lid to under the shelf, especially where the loom would bend under the shelf.

4) Examine all lengths of wiring. Look for fraying of wires, wires protruding through their protective casing or even totally broken wires.

5) Cut out the bad section and splice in new wire; make sure your splice has long enough wire to extend the length of the original wiring so that once you tuck everything away, the length of wire is suitable for opening/closing trunk lid. Tape or use shrink tubing to seal your splices and reinstall the original plastic cover.

There’s a few threads on here discussing the issue and one member even documented the repair with pics.

OP
OP

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats great info, thank you much! Ill check it out this weekend and report back.

OP
OP

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way, that makes perfect sense, this started right after I got something out of my trunk. Must have opened and closed it one too many times
Sponsored