Sponsored

Rattle/buzzing noise, perhaps center arm rest storage console behind the shifter?

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Removing that center console seems intimidating, but is actually quite easy.

I would drive the car around for a bit with the cup holder, etc removed.

Inside are a variety of loose wires so it may just be a plastic connector touching somewhere.

The GT350s get a resonance buzz from the stick shift, which AutoFanatic in YouTube has a good fix for. Yours doesn't sound like that though.
Sponsored

Johnny550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
As I drove home my new-to-me Mach 1 this past weekend, I found I have the exact sound coming from underneath the shifter. It's really most noticeable around 2000rpm. When I downshift and come to a stop, the sound stops.

After owning 3 S550's and this being my 4th. I had never experienced the "typewriter tick". Although, this Mach 1 has it. I wonder if it's related to the sound of the OP since it sounds like it's coming from that spot under the center console? Can you only hear the typewriter tick at idle and outside the car?

I'll look into the suggestions from this thread and report back what I find.

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I have an appointment in 10 days to get my car inspected at the dealership (still under warranty). I'll definitely report back what I find out.

In the meantime, I captured a sound clip last night. Hope this link works.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q1p2...sole.mp4?rlkey=d9avxf3tukwyk9b4vf1fmbkmo&dl=0

It sounds just like yours Sakman84.
Just curious, is it the same sound you mentioned in the other "not another noise" thread?

Not sure if you already mentioned it, but is the ticking dependent on the gear or just on the ground speed?

Sponsored

Johnny550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Just curious, is it the same sound you mentioned in the other "not another noise" thread?

Not sure if you already mentioned it, but is the ticking dependent on the gear or just on the ground speed?
Yeah, same sound from the other thread. Which seems similar to the issue your driveshaft was causing.

In 6th gear, going about 70 mph, i dont hear it. It might still be there but i cant hear it over the exhaust/engine/wind noise. But it's most noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear in the 1800-2800 rpm range. And doesn't matter what speed im going.

Im looking forward to seeing what the service department finds.

RunsWithScissors

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Gt

Johnny550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
I got the car back today. Diagnosis was to to replace the transmission which they said was the cause of the noise.

Drove a bunch of miles and the sound is gone. I read this thread and it sounds similar to my car.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/fast-ticking-sound-from-gear-shift-area-fixed.120862/page-3

So i wonder if the sound will return or im good to go. Time will tell. So far so good.
Hmmmmmm, that diagnosis seems to be a bit of overkill, and a quick jump to conclusions on their part.

I'm going to consult this link and see if that helps me find the sound on mind. I don't have anything scheduled yet, but I will set up an appointment with Ford to see if I can have them troubleshoot. It would be nice If I could have a tech ride along and demonstrate the noise first, you used to be able to do stuff like that in the old days.

Johnny550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Hmmmmmm, that diagnosis seems to be a bit of overkill, and a quick jump to conclusions on their part.

I'm going to consult this link and see if that helps me find the sound on mind. I don't have anything scheduled yet, but I will set up an appointment with Ford to see if I can have them troubleshoot. It would be nice If I could have a tech ride along and demonstrate the noise first, you used to be able to do stuff like that in the old days.
I agree. I even sent the service department a couple threads from this forum to help them if the whole transmission didn't need replacing. But they were adamant that that's where the sound was emanating from. It's odd that after replacing the trans, the sound is gone.

They also had the sound that I captured on my phone to verify exactly what the sound was.

Sponsored
OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
I agree. I even sent the service department a couple threads from this forum to help them if the whole transmission didn't need replacing. But they were adamant that that's where the sound was emanating from. It's odd that after replacing the trans, the sound is gone.

They also had the sound that I captured on my phone to verify exactly what the sound was.
Oh Sorry Johnny I misunderstood your post, they did indeed replace your transmission, wow!
Happy the sound is gone for you!

How many miles did you have on it when you brought it in?

How difficult is a transmission replacement in these cars?

Johnny550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Oh Sorry Johnny I misunderstood your post, they did indeed replace your transmission, wow!
Happy the sound is gone for you!

How many miles did you have on it when you brought it in?

How difficult is a transmission replacement in these cars?
Car had one owner with around 6000 miles when i acquired just about two months ago. It had always made that sound since getting it.

Transmission replacement is definitely beyond my skill set. And beyond the amount of time i have. And you'd also need a lift.

RunsWithScissors

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Gt
Car had one owner with around 6000 miles when i acquired just about two months ago. It had always made that sound since getting it.

Transmission replacement is definitely beyond my skill set. And beyond the amount of time i have. And you'd also need a lift.
I'm gonna schedule with service too now after reading this.

I purchased mine with it having this noise. It had 4.2k on it, now has 5.2k. I'll update with what they diag it with.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
There are few symptoms that help diagnosing it to the driveshaft. From the weakest to the strongest:

1) The rattle does not depend on the engine RPM.

2) The (frequency of the) rattle does not depend on which gear is engaged, or if any is engaged at all.

3) The (frequency of the) rattle does depend on the ground speed.

4) You can calculate the driveshaft RPM for particular ground speed, using the tire size and your diff ratio. If it matches the rattle - bingo!

Itsjebby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackson
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I’m having a similar issue I believe and it is also either a really light “flutter” sound or a crazy vibration once the car is fully warmed up. Sounds like it’s coming from the center console as well. Only happens at 24-28mph. Just bought the car used and hope to figure it out before the used car warranty ends. Also may try to do a ford tech ride along
Sponsored