Sponsored

questions on handling feel, S550 in general, Mach 1 more specifically.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
So, I do not own a S550 currently, never have. looking to order a mach 1 within the next 1-2 weeks.

I daily a 1986 Bronco, and my past truck was a modified 2006 F-250, and before that a 2009 F-150 platinum. the last cars I owned have all been 1979 or older coupes (monte carlos, cutlass, mustangs, etc). Most of the stuff I have had have/had very light steering, whereas my wifes 4runner has what I would consider heavy steering. Even my 82 Bronco on 39" boggers has light steering in comparison, the stock 86 with a 1 ton steering pump is insanely easy to turn the wheel, one finger even when sitting still. The 4runner on the other hand it always feels like you have to fight it a bit, much like FWD cars, I would say that the steering is stiff. It is also the newest non F-250 I have driven by almost 10 years.

And I am going to go try to find a manual GT to test drive this week if I can find one anywhere near baton rouge....not likely honestly....

But, how would one describe the steering on these? light and responsive, heavy and stiff? If it is heavy, is there anything that can be done to lighten the wheel some? I don't mean sloppy, even the steering on my daily 86 bronco is accurate and responsive, just with a light wheel. I know that there are varying steering and drive modes, are they adjustable? I don't want to have to have it in eco mode for example to have a light steering feel to the car.
Sponsored

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
This car will handle great compared to the Bronco. The steering modes do make it easier when in comfort mode but I like sport. It is by no means hard to steer. when You get in and start driving, the feel of the steering will not even cross your mind.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
So, I do not own a S550 currently, never have. looking to order a mach 1 within the next 1-2 weeks.

I daily a 1986 Bronco, and my past truck was a modified 2006 F-250, and before that a 2009 F-150 platinum. the last cars I owned have all been 1979 or older coupes (monte carlos, cutlass, mustangs, etc). Most of the stuff I have had have/had very light steering, whereas my wifes 4runner has what I would consider heavy steering. Even my 82 Bronco on 39" boggers has light steering in comparison, the stock 86 with a 1 ton steering pump is insanely easy to turn the wheel, one finger even when sitting still. The 4runner on the other hand it always feels like you have to fight it a bit, much like FWD cars, I would say that the steering is stiff. It is also the newest non F-250 I have driven by almost 10 years.

And I am going to go try to find a manual GT to test drive this week if I can find one anywhere near baton rouge....not likely honestly....

But, how would one describe the steering on these? light and responsive, heavy and stiff? If it is heavy, is there anything that can be done to lighten the wheel some? I don't mean sloppy, even the steering on my daily 86 bronco is accurate and responsive, just with a light wheel. I know that there are varying steering and drive modes, are they adjustable? I don't want to have to have it in eco mode for example to have a light steering feel to the car.
I concur with emcmtony - sport mode is best. Your truck experience sounds like the steering is too light (too much assist) or too heavy (too much resistance). I have a 2015 GT Premium and a new Mach 1. My overall description of the steering is "responsive," even in Comfort or Normal mode. I like Sport because it gives the best feedback. I haven't done much time (yet?) in Track steering since I haven't had the need and from all descriptions it's not too different than Sport.

That said, neither "heavy" (or "stiff") nor "loose" would ever come to mind in any S550 steering mode. Local roads, highway, and track the S550s (mine and the ones at Ford Performance Racing School) have always been responsive with good feedback to the driver. The engineer in me loves that their "drive-by-wire" steering is so easy to work with.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What you have as a daily and what you listed as prior vehicles isn't any comparison to a M1 steering/handling or really any S550 for that matter.

The S550's don't have a standard steering rack. They have what is called an EPAS (Electronic Power Assist Steering) which is comprised of internal gears, an internal circuit board and an internal rubber belt, which is getting not only road feel input but also has a PSCM (Power Steering Control Module).

The user can select multiple steering modes based on how they want the steering to feel as far as output through the wheel and driving conditions.

When the steering is untouched in default mode, it's not heavy or hard at all - you can essentially turn the wheel with 1 hand or even a few fingers if you like. The steering in default or any Steering Mode is very responsive.

Depending on the width of the rims/tires that would also reflect how the car handles going into curves or coming out of them, or how it handles ruts or road imperfections under normal driving conditions.

The steering is not floaty all. It's pretty well balanced and IMO, easy to maneuver in extreme conditions as well as simple parking lot conditions.

I started an EPAS thread that is here if it's needed for future reference for these vehicles:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s550-epas-pscm-tech-accumulation.160616/

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Like others above I run it exclusively in sport. I love how responsive the wheel feels. It’s definitely “heavier” steering than my Audi s6 which I also run in what they call dynamic, but it’s the closest thing to sport in the Mach 1. It feels so confidence inspiring in the Mach 1 though. It’s not like it’s a workout to turn the wheel, but from where you’re coming from OP i think you will think it’s heavy. Not in a bad way. It’s just not going to have that loose old truck feel. I used to have a lifted k5 blazer……that thing was loose!

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Well, that was fun, dealership had a used PP2 I got to test drive today. been a while since I drove a stick, so that wasn't 'great', killed it once. but other than that, wasn't bad. wheel was a bit heavier than I prefer, especially in sport+ mode.
Sponsored