Sponsored

question regarding 0-60 times

MustangNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt and 2017 Shelby GT350
I have a couple questions regarding posted 0-60 times of the gt350. I have a 2017 gt350 and never took it to the track so I cant test it myself. Most places have it listed at 4.1-4.3 with most at 4.3 which considering the power, torque an weight seem a little slow. car and driver have the gt350 listed at 4.3 (which seems very slow for what the car has) and the R at 3.9. I know car magazines should be taken with a grain of salt but the cars are identical at the engine with a small difference at the wheels measuring around 5-7 whp from dyno tests due to the carbon wheels but I cant help but wonder how this translates into a .4 difference in 0-60 times. How is there such a big difference in 0-60 times between both when the increase in power at the wheels is minimal. Now i know that the R has stickier tires and a little less weight plus minor aero and suspension tweaks (mostly for the track not straight line) but still, i dont see this equating to a .4 difference to 60. Ford also lists that the 2019 gt350 model with suspension revisions and new tires will accelerate quicker. Im curious how much quicker it will be compared to 2017-2018 and 2016 with track pack.

My main gripe and confusion is when comparing to other vehicles. Looking at other vehicles with manual transmissions (automatics will always be .2-.4 quicker than their manual counterparts) with less than and/or equal power and weight, it seems the gt350 is always slower and on the bottom end of 0-60 times when comparing.

Can it be:
the tires? - possibility they are more track oriented than straight line performance
the way the magnetic suspension is tuned?
traction control and electronics interfering?
- I know on the GT i had there was transmission/clutch protection that would cut power when dumping the clutch

Just looking for some potential explanations why the gt350 is slower when compared to vehicles with same or less power, torque and weight (with manual transmissions of course)

Just for reference the camaro ss is listed at 4.1 with the manual transmission by car and driver who lists the gt350 at 4.3. the camaro has 455 HP and 455 Tq compared to the gt350 at 526 HP and 429 TQ. gt350 weighs 13 pounds more. GT350 has a better transmission also. EVEN BETTER the challenger with 485 HP and 475 tq weighing about 450 lbs more with a manual transmission is listed at 4.3 also.

How are the gt350 and challenger 6.4 with manual transmission 0-60 times the same at 4.3??

QUICK SUMMARY AND TO THE QUESTION:
My question for fellow gt350 owners is why are the 0-60 times subpar compared to other vehicles given the power, torque and weight. the gt350 should be about 3.9-4.0 where the R should be around 3.8. what mods can be done to improve straight line performance besides the obvious driver mod.
Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Gearing. The R tires are shorter overall which effectively is like having shorter gears. Combine that with MUCH higher grip and a tick less weight and Bob's yer uncle. Also all these disparate cars with similar times tells you that they are all traction-limited. So the tires are probably worth more than the torque multiplication differential.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Gearing. The R tires are shorter overall which effectively is like having shorter gears. Combine that with MUCH higher grip and a tick less weight and Bob's yer uncle. Also all these disparate cars with similar times tells you that they are all traction-limited. So the tires are probably worth more than the torque multiplication differential.
Ditto! As soon as I put 30 series tires on my car....I noticed immediately the difference in acceleration compared to the 35 series. The revs climb faster in each gear,

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Not to mention this isn't an easy car to get to leave hard without absolutely beating on the clutch.

You either blow the tires off of it or end up under the RPM you want.

Grabber350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2007 GT Convertible
I would say it is mostly attributed to stickier tires, and maybe a little bit of the lightweight carbon fiber wheels. My gt350 spins pretty hard in 1st and 2nd too. The lower aspect ratio only comes into play if you have traction. I have a set of 19" wheels for my supercharged s197, and when I put NT05Rs on the back the car felt like it picked up 150 hp. I am hoping the wheels will clear the calipers on the GT350 so I can see how she really pulls.
Sponsored